MMOs and you

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
I find they lack the refinement and polish that you get in single player rpgs. Nothing you do in the games seem to have any impact what so ever. I guess they're just not for me.
That's largely my feelings as well. It's rather disconcerting that all my questing and whatever has no impact whatsoever on the game world.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
I used to play them quite a bit when 14-15 and under. But in the end they just couldn't hold my attention. My brain keeps going "how can I save time, what's the fastest route, what's the best build, etc.". I can't stop it. MMOs just force my mind to look for efficiency for some reason.

Eventually they just become repetitive. I've played so many where you just click to attack every second and press hotkeys to use abilities. And they contain so many fucking fetch quests and kill/gather X amount of Y, I eventually felt drained. It just felt like such a waste of time, there was nothing new, I wasn't learning anything, I wasn't having fun, I was just addicted to leveling and shit.

Thing is, I want to try some free ones, but every "free" MMO that I've seen has an invasive wallet-sucking price scheme that drives me off.

Question:
I've heard some things about Guild Wars 2, FFXIX, and some pirate thing, but are they any fun to dive into alone? And what are the exact details on their pricing schemes (i.e. F2P, one-time buy, subscription, a combination of these, are there microtransactions and what can you buy with them etc.)

Captcha: LIVE FREE - Just as I'm asking about MMOs to play, god fucking damn it.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Question:
I've heard some things about Guild Wars 2, FFXIX, and some pirate thing, but are they any fun to dive into alone? And what are the exact details on their pricing schemes (i.e. F2P, one-time buy, subscription, a combination of these, are there microtransactions and what can you buy with them etc.)
Guild Wars 2 is one-time buy with a cash shop that I recall to be entirely cosmetic.

FFXIV is a subscription game that is either $12 a month with only one character on a single server, or $15 with multiple characters. There is a cash shop, but it's restricted to cosmetics (thankfully) at this time. There is a mount for sale, but it offers no benefits over every other mount, so it's also a cosmetic element.

With the pirate thing, I'd guess you're talking about Archeage. It's F2P, but they do have some "founder's packages" or some shit like that which are charged at what I would say are exorbitant prices ($50 for the most basic of them, $100 or more for better versions). I'm not sure of any cash shop in the game. I've also heard that it had a disastrous launch...like most MMOs. But all that stuff combined just makes me want to not touch it.

As for diving into these games alone...based on my personal experience, I'd say you really at some point need that group of people to stay motivated. I think it's extremely rare for MMOs to work well as nothing but a solo experience.

For what it's worth, FFXIV is a pretty game to look at, and I have loads of fun playing it, but I'd say for someone who hasn't played either it or GW2 to try GW2 first. The world is more expansive and it's a unique take on MMO design. I hear FFXIV is much more traditional and sorta like WoW, but since I never played WoW...yeah.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Solaire of Astora said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Question:
Guild Wars 2 is one-time buy with a cash shop that I recall to be entirely cosmetic.

FFXIV is a subscription game that is either $12 a month with only one character on a single server, or $15 with multiple characters. There is a cash shop, but it's restricted to cosmetics (thankfully) at this time. There is a mount for sale, but it offers no benefits over every other mount, so it's also a cosmetic element.

With the pirate thing, I'd guess you're talking about Archeage. It's F2P, but they do have some "founder's packages" or some shit like that which are charged at what I would say are exorbitant prices ($50 for the most basic of them, $100 or more for better versions). I'm not sure of any cash shop in the game. I've also heard that it had a disastrous launch...like most MMOs. But all that stuff combined just makes me want to not touch it.

As for diving into these games alone...based on my personal experience, I'd say you really at some point need that group of people to stay motivated. I think it's extremely rare for MMOs to work well as nothing but a solo experience.

For what it's worth, FFXIV is a pretty game to look at, and I have loads of fun playing it, but I'd say for someone who hasn't played either it or GW2 to try GW2 first. The world is more expansive and it's a unique take on MMO design. I hear FFXIV is much more traditional and sorta like WoW, but since I never played WoW...yeah.
Thanks a heap. I might give GW2 a shot and find a group when I'm not broke. In the past, MMOs have all seemed samey to me, but if it's unique it's worth a shot then.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Well back in February I rejoined WoW after quitting taking a 5-year break and had a blast playing through the end of MoP. I took a break a couple of months ago when so many in the guild had done the same that we were no longer able to get much of anything done and I spent the time catching up on a few other games on the to-do list.

Now that WoD is out, I can't really face going back. I wanted to sit down and start catching up, levelling, getting ready for raids, etc. but when I realised how obligated I felt it just made me push back. I've had to put the game down again and it's been a weight off my shoulders. I don't feel like I have to x, y and z, learn and keep up with new things.. I can take my time to play what I want, replay an old game if I feel like it, not feel I won't have time for the new game I'm going to be getting for Christmas, etc.

How many people leave at the start of an expansion, eh?

smokingplane

Dec 26, 2011
I tried a couple different ones trough the years, but none of them could keep my interest for more than a few days.
I guess its the grinding to look forward to, the unimportance of your actions and the payment models all act as a huge turnoff for me. So I just quit after a couple hours playing time spread over a few days.
I don`t have the time spare to get sucked in to deep so I keep away from most RPG games as a whole, and games that require to much trained skills to play online get a pass as well because I just don`t have the time to get any good at it (those damn kids have to much spare time, get off my lawn....)
But even when I did have the time I never really liked MMO games.
Local mp is a lot more fun. We used to have MOO:AA games over the company intranet during lunch and its just more fun if you can actually go and slap spawncampers. So I guess the anonimity also plays a part in me not liking the massive part of MMOs

All that being said, I`ve been playing ingress on my mobile for more than a year now, and they call themselves an AR MMORPG and while its just as grindy and clicksimulatory as the next, I can play it while jogging, or going out shopping or waiting for any public transport. so in stead of feeling like grinding it`s more a break from real world grinding.
Its free as well and even a good example of a good free to play game imo. The only cost for playing is mobile data usage and a couple of spare batterry packs if you want to take it serious.

Gray-Philosophy

Sep 19, 2014
I rather like MMOs. Mostly because it's sort of a social gaming experience.

A lot of MMOs are basically an open world multiplayer, which is what draws the in the most. I love the adventure and exploration that the open world platform offers, and then there's just something satisfying about making new friends from strangers and ending up working together for greater rewards.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of reoccurring downsides that seem to follow the MMO genre around.
-Often times the gameplay isn't entertaining enough by itself, and it becomes repetitive and grindy.
-They have a tendency to be largely numbers based rather than skill based. The player with better stats will almost always outplay the others, regardless of how well you master the controls. To an extent of course.
-Levels, scaling and gear becomes increasingly difficult to keep up with after a while.
-They often require a lot more time and dedication than I can afford to invest, and probably a lot more things I can't recall right now.

Despite this, I still greatly enjoy the concept of open world multiplayers, and I will keep looking around untill I find one I can play and enjoy.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I've only played Guild Wars because a friend of mine (somehow) talked me into buying it and all the expansions.

I didn't get far into it (only a few hours after The Searing), only then did I realize setting all the skills and abilities you get to the class you pick at the beginning is bullshit.

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
The only MMO I really enjoyed was Ultima Online but that was because the game allowed you to do whatever you wanted. Had a real life ecosystem where animals and monsters had real birth rates and had real consequences if you killed too many of one kind. No classes, every single skill you were able to increase/decrease through using or not using that skill. This allowed for many different combinations like a mage/warrior. Or a Archer/Tamer/Bard. Dying actually had major consequences, your stuff stayed on your body and was able to be looted by anyone. The game really pushed the boundaries that still no other MMO dare tries to stick their feet in. You could also build your own house and customize it in any way possible. Players actually were in full control of the game, players established governments and other types of guilds that would make any guild in WoW or other modern MMO's look like children playgrounds full of idiots.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I've played MMOs since EQ, back in 1999. I don't see that changing anytime soon. No other genre can match the community within an MMO world, and if you find just the right game, popular enough to never be alone for long, yet tight enough to exclude the darker elements of internet culture, it can be impossible to pull yourself away. Combine that with the old skinnerbox leveling systems, gear acquisition, achievements, endgame raids....*droool* sorry what were we talking about again? Ah yes, one can easily surmise how online game addiction became a thing. Right now my addictions of choice are ESO - graphically superior to so many MMOs on the market, and yet very playable on low-mid range rigs, with all the trappings of a single-player ES game, but with people - and Destiny, though the latter I've taken a slight hiatus from until I can buy DLC.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I play a few.

Wakfu - Strategy, socioeconomic, environmentalist (???) simulator with 15 or so classes to choose from. It does some pretty interesting things with the genre, and uses a gorgeous, anime and western animation inspired art style. Also, fanservice. Too much, even. Oversaturation of big-titted pretty girls and shirtless guys, perhaps even to the levels of obscene monopolisation of all the fanservice. It also encourages you to play with other people, and the battle system is basically built on teamwork. Also a large variety of weapons, unlike your standard swords, shields and wands, and so on. Like needles (literally. Sewing needles, clock hands, stingers, take your pick) and... cards and dice.

Yeah, it's a weird one, but it's whimsical and fun, yet crudely creative and punny. Like a cannibalistic horse called Mystery.

Runescape - Once upon a time. I quite for most of the reasons most do; the game had hours of things to craft, skills to train, and monsters to murder in cold blood... and what? What does that build up to? In most RPGs, you train your stats, get better equipment, and organise a player party for a payoff: a dead boss, sweet loot, and a new dungeon to explore. But not in Runescape. Everything's leveling up. You don't get that kickass halberd capable of hitting enemies behind obstacles, that also provides defense, because you think it'll be useful in the endgame. You get it because so that you have a complete Mithril set. What a load of bullshit.

I never played it when the game was basically an MUD with cooking mechanics, but I'm sure it was better then, because it got overcomplicated and (more) grindy.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
I wasn't an MMO player for a long time, but I decided to try FFXIV because a few friends on here were trying it, still subbed since January, definitely hooked me in a way no other MMO could. I like the content, I enjoy doing roulettes and the raid content is fun to learn (though you better get a full static for it, end game is populated with jackasses who kick you for small slip-ups)

I myself play on Moogle btw.
Yeah, I know the feeling with end-game jackasses.

I basically transferred over from another MMO with a group of friends I already had, so the issue of finding a static was pretty much moot. We're still stuck on Turn 9 of the Second Coil, though. Sucks. ;_;

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I used to play RO with some friends from high school, along with Warhammer Online when it first came out. The server that me and my friends played on got overrun by Portuguese spammers and the best items became donator items and we couldn't find a consistent server to stay on afterwards, and I stopped playing WAR after i hit max rank and nobody in my Guild ever wanted to go raiding or run a Dungeon.

Dissentient

Aug 19, 2011
I don't play any MMOs simply because everything in them is of poor quality compared to singleplayer and non-massive multiplayer games, especially gameplay.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Solaire of Astora said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
I wasn't an MMO player for a long time, but I decided to try FFXIV because a few friends on here were trying it, still subbed since January, definitely hooked me in a way no other MMO could. I like the content, I enjoy doing roulettes and the raid content is fun to learn (though you better get a full static for it, end game is populated with jackasses who kick you for small slip-ups)

I basically transferred over from another MMO with a group of friends I already had, so the issue of finding a static was pretty much moot. We're still stuck on Turn 9 of the Second Coil, though. Sucks. ;_;
We're going for the kill on T6 and T7 training/kill on Friday. I love it but man the endgame has some jackasses. Also;
TizzytheTormentor said:
Solaire of Astora said:
TizzytheTormentor said:

It's really 5 of us since we have to strong arm Horcul into playing and @staika: isn't available on weekdays.

OT: FF14 has me hooked, approaching my years sub time now, downed 5/7 Extreme Primals, just killed Turn 5 with my group. We learn damn fast, nothing has held us for more than a couple of days. Some people are great, there's a lot of jerks and poor players, but mostly it's a lot of fun.

I do want Gunner/Agent to hit faster though since that's what I want to be playing.

We have 7 slots filled, need another, but most people we invite to our Free Company leave for some reason, making it hard to get it to grow, we have a static with another Free Company, we haven't started the Second Coil yet, since we are barely ever on, we need to work on that, just beat Turn 5 not long ago (mostly a case of trying to get the static on at the same time)

What makes me laugh are the party finders that threaten to kick you if you have the "new player" prompt and fail just once, so inviting.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Solaire of Astora said:
TizzytheTormentor said:

Also we killed Odin. Have t-shirts and photos to prove it.

Can't wait for it to hit and for all the i130 twats to start raving how easy it is. > > Try it on a PS4, without mouse hotkeys, and in flat unweathered soldiery gear, with crap food and random muppets on the show floor.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
The White Hunter said:
Solaire of Astora said:
TizzytheTormentor said:

Also we killed Odin. Have t-shirts and photos to prove it.

Can't wait for it to hit and for all the i130 twats to start raving how easy it is. > > Try it on a PS4, without mouse hotkeys, and in flat unweathered soldiery gear, with crap food and random muppets on the show floor.
Ah. London Fan Fest, I'm assuming? I'm jealous; I live frigging thousands of miles away from Las Vegas unless I'm on a long break from school, so no opportunity like that for me. That and they scheduled it during my school semesters so it's doubly impossible.

I'm assuming when Odin is implemented for everyone else that it'll only be available as an 'Extreme' version. That or the hard mode will be around i85 or i90. But we'll have to see.