MMOs and you

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
In general, for every kind of multiplayer videogame I play, I mostly stop play them after 5-10 hours.
Reason? Well, I like to play many kind of games and I can't commit all my free time in one game.
For that reason also the only MMO I played is Path of Exile. Hell, I don't think it is a pure MMO either....because I was playing all the time alone without any problem.

Trinket to Ride

Jul 13, 2014
I've dabbled in a few. I just got of a two week SWTOR binge. I never stick with them very long though.

I can't stand the repetitiveness, and the communities are usually made up of screaming 14-year-olds trying to see who can be the edgiest and smug neckbeards who always tell you you're playing wrong and treat you like a drooling idiot if you ask any questions.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
SweetShark said:
For that reason also the only MMO I played is Path of Exile. Hell, I don't think it is a pure MMO either....because I was playing all the time alone without any problem.
Playing alone in that game is actually better, unless they patch the net code. On topic, I've played 2 MMOs and one of them wasn't really traditional.

First one was Dungeon Fighter Online. Pretty fun, it was more beat'em up than MMO and the combat was just fun to me. But that closed down(WILL BE BACK IN MARCH WOO). I'd still be playing that from time to time if it was still around.

Then it was last year I think it was, I picked up Guild Wars 2. I really liked that game, after settling into a class I liked. My favorite part was running around the world, seeing what events they made, what was in this cave, you know just basically going open world on it. But then, I took a break from it and ran into a problem the next time I tried getting into the game. There was no one in most the zones. The numbers had been crunched and the most optimal reward boss cycle had been found, leading to the majority of players doing this route. I would walk into some zones and there would be NO ONE there. And the events that were made for the zone, several were made to not be done with 1 character.

What happened with GW2 makes me hesitant to play other MMOs. What's the point of playing something with a large mass of other players and enjoying a massive world, when all the actual action takes place in a very small section of the game?

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Most MMOs? I do not enjoy. I find the combat to be boring, and the general gameplay to be incredibly tedious. The stories are often static, and my own input on events is so insignificant that I might as well not bother.

The only MMO that I truly enjoyed was Guild Wars 2, because it addressed the above needs. Combat was varied enough, across all classes(you can swap out weapons for a different tactical approach, and the general feel of conflict was meatier, which I liked) and you could just trek across the map, seeing the sights, and level up that way, if you don't feel like grinding. Even when it came to doing quests, the sheer variety of tasks on offer made every 'questing zone' feel unique and interesting. The story is also enthralling because it has actual voice acting, branching paths, and a personal element to it.

Also the art-style and the graphics are magnificent. Eventually though, I stopped playing the game, because the inevitable realisation of "I'm just doing the same thing over and over again, aren't I?" came. Unlike most MMOs however, it took an entire month and a half for that to set in, which is the longest I've ever spent with a game in that genre.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
My first MMO was Final Fantasy XI: Online back in like 2004. I enjoyed it, played for about 7 years before quitting due to moving somewhere with inadequate Internet to play an MMO. But in the meantime I got to know many people which I still know today. I tried WoW at some point during those years, but I found it to be much more simplistic than FFXI and ass ugly by comparison.

I fell out of MMOs for a few years during college, but now I'm out of college and I got straight into FFXIV last year and haven't gone back since. I'm on Excalibur, a difficult feat since it's a legacy server (a server that existed during the first launch of the game), but I wanted to get back with my FFXI friends who had already made characters there so I spent nearly half a night trying to make a character before I finally got through.

FFXIV is essentially a spiritual sequel to FFXI, and really feels that way. It took the kept most of the best elements of FFXI and got rid of a lot of the bullshit. FFXI had great aesthetics and graphics for the time, great characters and stories, and a detailed world to explore. But the battle system had a learning curve like a brick wall at times, leveling was a pain, and a lot of mechanics and battles were just BS. FFXIV has got a great aesthetic, great graphics, fun stories and characters, details galore, AND the battle and leveling systems are dynamic and fun. Some who have also played FFXI argue it's a bit too easy, and due to that you lose the camaraderie that comes with taking on a REAAALLY hard fight. But honestly the most epic things that happen in MMOs are based on pure luck--having the right group doing the right things at the right time. With FFXI, it was really hard to get that lightning to strike more than once, and if you weren't winning huge you were losing huge. With FFXIV, a lot of that luck and waiting is taken away with the way parties are formed up. And you still get those epic groups sometimes, but the difference is in the meantime every group you have that isn't epic is usually at least adequate and gets you through it.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Lilani said:
but the difference is in the meantime every group you have that isn't epic is usually at least adequate and gets you through it.
Or so laughably bad that it's fun in it's own way. For example; every time a tank lets a Summoner like me tear something like Titan off him and it wipes the party by flipping the table, is utterly hilarious stuff.

I'd argue that FFXIV does have some legitimately difficult stuff though, the co-ordination and reflex needed for a lot of Extreme primals and some of the coil fights is pretty severe stuff. Titan Extreme, for example, is not easy, it is intense, unforgiving and savage, once you know it the fight is second nature, because thats the only way you beat it.

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
I really like MMOs. World of Warcraft in particular. I've been playing since vanilla. Recently I've been playing every day. I'm on the Kul Tiras server mainly. My blood elf hunter is my main. I'm addicted to collecting mini-pets; I have 440 unique pets. I'm a bit intimidated by the "get 600 unique pets" achievement, but I want that reward pet!

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I play WoW, have done on and off for about five years.

I met my boyfriend on WoW and a few other good friends, but I've been feeling a little blah about the community lately.
For example, yesterday I raided Molten Core with a guild I joined last month but haven't really been active in.

Is me talking on TeamSpeak still `a big deal`?

Yes. Yes, it apparently is.

I thought we'd moved past the freaking out at voices that make up 50% of the population thing, but apparently we have not. MMO communities are not that different from the rest of gaming in that regard, no matter what people say.

Still, I love playing them. The community is probably the only downside for me.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Can't do the commitment MMOs require. My boredom threshold is low, I don't seem to have the addictive personality of serious MMO players. I played WoW, EQ, Asheron's Call, EVE, and even a text-based MUD I can't remember the name of, mostly because my friends played. Had a good time in each one, but the good time wears off after the millionth time you perform the exact same activity, or when you hit a brick wall and can't progress.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
I have a Star Trek Online account (with lifetime subscription. Yeah... lol. Did that at launch when it was still a subcription based game...)

But honestly, in the years I've had the account, I barely play it...

Like, I only have the one character, and it isn't even at level cap yet...

So... I guess that's about where my MMO experience begins and ends...

I like the concept, but the reality seems to end up being kind of dull...

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
I don't like any that I've played. They all seem to sacrifice gameplay for the sake of being 'massively multiplayer'. As I like good gameplay and dislike other people, this is basically the worst case scenario for a game. I find it incomprehensible how these games have become so popular.