Mod Edit: New forums are live for beta testing! Link in OP (April 3, 2020)

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Drathnoxis said:
Silence, and MidnightNova aren't familiar names to me.
I think I recognize those names. Pretty sure they were part of that... ahem... 'grassroots movement' group that invaded and destroyed the site a few years back.

No thanks.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
IceForce said:
Drathnoxis said:
I think I recognize those names. Pretty sure they were part of that... ahem... 'grassroots movement' group that invaded and destroyed the site a few years back.

No thanks.
They don't come up under a profile search, or even a search for their profile on Wayback Machine. If they were ever on the Escapist, I don't think they used those names.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Drathnoxis said:
SupahEwok said:
I think you're still in that Discord channel.

I'm actually out of it at the moment, took a break cuz I have a lot of stuff going on in my life. But when I've accepted a job offer and put in the paperwork to withdraw from grad school, I'll go back in. As of a month ago, Fat Hippo, Dirty Cop James Funs, Neuromancer, RundownRabbit, CrimsonPho5nix (or however he spells it on here), Tippy2k2, LostGryphon, Fox12, Sigismund (although I don't remember if that was his username on here), Silence, MidnightNova, Vallorn, DoomGuy, and PointlessKnowledge are all active to semi-active. Me, Crimson, and Tippy are the only ones who bother checking into here (and I mainly do it when I just want to waste 10 minutes). Armadox, DudeistBelieve, and Bobular are all still a part of the chat, but they don't come online cuz of life circumstances (it's been 2 years I think since I heard anything from Bobular). Anybody else in there either has barely been a part of the chat, came from sources besides the Escapist, or I've forgotten about them at the moment.
Oh right, I did go on there one time, didn't I. That was the only time I've ever used Discord.

Huh, I didn't know Tippy was a part of that group. Silence, and MidnightNova aren't familiar names to me. Guillion, left too then? I remember he had himself deleted from the Escapist a couple years ago.

Anyway, good to know most of them are still around.
I don't know if Nova or Silence went by those exact usernames on here. Guillion was banned after he posted a mass shooter's manifesto, after past warnings about his behavior. It's the only banning we've done.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
IceForce said:
Drathnoxis said:

No thanks.
You would be mistaken.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
SupahEwok said:
I don't know if Nova or Silence went by those exact usernames on here. Guillion was banned after he posted a mass shooter's manifesto, after past warnings about his behavior. It's the only banning we've done.
Huh, I never would have expected that...

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
SupahEwok said:
Drathnoxis said:
SupahEwok said:

I'm actually out of it at the moment, took a break cuz I have a lot of stuff going on in my life. But when I've accepted a job offer and put in the paperwork to withdraw from grad school, I'll go back in. As of a month ago, Fat Hippo, Dirty Cop James Funs, Neuromancer, RundownRabbit, CrimsonPho5nix (or however he spells it on here), Tippy2k2, LostGryphon, Fox12, Sigismund (although I don't remember if that was his username on here), Silence, MidnightNova, Vallorn, DoomGuy, and PointlessKnowledge are all active to semi-active. Me, Crimson, and Tippy are the only ones who bother checking into here (and I mainly do it when I just want to waste 10 minutes). Armadox, DudeistBelieve, and Bobular are all still a part of the chat, but they don't come online cuz of life circumstances (it's been 2 years I think since I heard anything from Bobular). Anybody else in there either has barely been a part of the chat, came from sources besides the Escapist, or I've forgotten about them at the moment.
Oh right, I did go on there one time, didn't I. That was the only time I've ever used Discord.

Huh, I didn't know Tippy was a part of that group. Silence, and MidnightNova aren't familiar names to me. Guillion, left too then? I remember he had himself deleted from the Escapist a couple years ago.

Was it the el paso shooter? I don't see anything wrong with posting crappy manifestos so that we can all make fun of it. I really think shooters should be forced to read their retarded manifesto in front of a huge crowd in order to shame them.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Marik2 said:
SupahEwok said:
Drathnoxis said:
SupahEwok said:

Was it the el paso shooter? I don't see anything wrong with posting crappy manifestos so that we can all make fun of it. I really think shooters should be forced to read their retarded manifesto in front of a huge crowd in order to shame them.
A) I think it was the new zealand shooter, whichever one quoted memes B) Posting that manifesto was getting Discord servers shut down C) he was doing it specifically to be an ass and upset other people on the server

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Marik2 said:
SupahEwok said:
Drathnoxis said:
SupahEwok said:

Sounds like fun, until there's a nutter in the crowd that hears the manifesto and thinks to himself; wait a minute, this guy is making lots of sense! Time to get my gun and get cracking tomorrow!

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
SupahEwok said:
Marik2 said:
SupahEwok said:
Drathnoxis said:
SupahEwok said:

A) I think it was the new zealand shooter, whichever one quoted memes B) Posting that manifesto was getting Discord servers shut down C) he was doing it specifically to be an ass and upset other people on the server
Ah, I see. I would have probably done the same thing as Guillion and posted it for the lulz. That "manifesto" was just one stupid shitpost.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
SupahEwok said:
IceForce said:
Drathnoxis said:

No thanks.
You would be mistaken.
Nope, not mistaken. Here's one of them right here:
https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.876277.22047123

Username was actually "the silence", and as you can see they're very clearly part of 'that' ideology. Join date also checks out. (Sep 2014 hmm? I wonder what happened then? /s)
I'd link to more examples, but it seems all the threads pertaining to that 'event' got purged. Although apparently they missed one.

I tried searching for the other guy too, but couldn't find anything. Possibly due to the aforementioned purge.

Either way, don't question my memory. You'll come out second best.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I remember in a lot of threads in the past talking about how the Escapist was dying you'd always get a bunch of people saying how they were going to stay until the forums shut down, etc. Most of those people are liars.

Aug 31, 2012
This is the first time I've visited for...I can't even remember (last post 3rd Jan, not as long as I thought). Very rarely post. Escapist used to be my first port of call every day. My life has changed, I've changed, the site has changed.

Got an account in 2008, asked for a ban ealy 2012 to stop me wasting so much time on the internet and had made a lot of posts on topics I didn't really want associated with me anymore. Gave up on that 6 month later but couldn't remember my password or the email account I signed up with so I made this one.

I would say I miss the old days, and in a way I do, but things have moved on since then.

I do go to Escapism UK when I get the chance, so I do see old Escapists IRL, which TBH is much better. The internet was only ever a stop-gap.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
This place is deader than disco. Looking back on the last few years, the various succession of owners and/or community managers couldn't have done a better job of obliterating the userbase if they had carefully orchestrated it; although ironically it couldn't be more obvious that it was a completely disorganised succession of egos trying to leave their mark on their newly discovered patch of digital fiefdom. *cough* Kylo Ren Kyle Gaddo *cough*

Said it before: Yahtzee Croshaw probably represents 90% of The Escapists footfall these days.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Arnoxthe1 said:
Drathnoxis said:
You know, the worst part is you never know what happens to someone when they leave. Are they happy? Healthy? What are they doing now instead of posting on the Escapist. Looking through old threads I see dozens of people I recognize and used to enjoy reading posts from, but they all might as well be dead to me because they haven't logged on in years and I'll probably never see anything they write ever again. :/
I've seen this before.

Sanctuary completely aside, you guys need to move on. There are many other forums with a fair amount of activity, and while they may not be the exact same as the Escapist, it's time to say goodbye and move on to new experiences, new communities, and new content. Blaze the trail, so to speak. Make your own forum even. It's dead easy to do, and I can give help in that regard, should people desire.

Way back when a site nobody cares about anymore called TOTSE shut down, we were devastated. Though we regrouped many times, much of the community kept wanting to go back to the "good old days", but all this persuing of the past meant stagnation and, ironically, chaos for the future. So many people had an idea of what TOTSE was and should be, but most of them conflicted. At the end of the day, nobody would just sit down and enjoy the sites that we regrouped at. The result of this was a slow and painful disintegration of a once insanely colossal community that's now only talked about by old people like me.

Move on from the past. Look forward to the future. Do what you have to do.
Eh, the sole cost to coming back around every once and a while and hanging about is just a bit of time. And what I come back for a bit is just to see who is still around, maybe chat a bit.

I've more or less moved on forum-wise to some discord servers + a forum I've kinda neglected for a few months but is still one I'd return to, tho it has a discord server. But that came from having an interest in what those servers and forum are used for. That fills a different sort of interest for me tho than what I get from returning her occasionally, which is just a bit of nostalgia and such. Could just make sure I have contact with people just in case for later and vanish I suppose, would say the people I was ever closest to here already are ones I have means to contact somewhat. But there's still faces I kind of enjoy seeing once in a while. And a few I guess I kind of half-enjoy seeing what they say to hate 'em still.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
What do you mean we've been cancelled?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Dirty Cop James funs said:
Martintox said:
Dirty Cop James funs said:
Do you know what isn't cancelled?
FUCKING DUMB QUEST, BABY! STILL HAS ONE OF THE MOST RECENT POSTS ON THE FORUM GAMES! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

That thread had its transformation from a little ***** to a giant dad by the sheer fact it survived the calamity that claimed so many threads in the escapist.
Oh, it fucking did, didn't it? Didn't the mass thread locking happen in 2016?
Yeah. It practically took half the threads in forum games out, but since the forum games are the forum games they managed just enough to get by.
The Roleplaying forum is fucked beyond repair, however.
Is that cuz when Frappe destroyed his account, it took out all the games he started?