Modder Crafts One-Handed Controller For Disabled Brother

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Modder Crafts One-Handed Controller For Disabled Brother

You don't need two hands to play Super Mario Sunshine anymore.

The Super Smash Bros. Melee [http://www.amazon.com/Gamecube-Console-Platinum/dp/B00006IJJI/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1281750478&sr=1-1], but unfortunately can only use one of his hands. Thanks to Hasse, that won't stop him.

Hasse decided to craft a one-handed GameCube controller that still performs all of the functions of the regular two-hander. The major modification made appears to be the installation of a motion sensor to replicate the movement of either the D-pad or the analog joystick (chosen with a switch). Hasse also moved the left trigger, previously on the GameCube controller's shoulder, to the right-hand side of his new controller so that it can be pushed with the pointer finger.

It doesn't look like the process was easy, with Hasse having to analyze multiple controllers to find the best one to use. He shows it off while playing Mario Kart: Double Dash [http://www.amazon.com/Mario-Kart-Double-Dash-GameCube/dp/B00009WAUD/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281750362&sr=8-5], and though he doesn't drive very well in the game, I'm sure with a little practice his brother can get the hang of it. Plus, it's better than nothing, and I bet other games that don't require such precise control movements would work just fine. This just goes to show you, Nintendo fans will find a way to play as their favorite plumber no matter what.

Engadget [http://hacks.hasse.nl/]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
That's impressive. Not only that but he did it for his brother. Now that's a nice thing to do. It does look like he put a lot of work into it too.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
I admire the dedication of this guy. It really is bad that people who dont have both hands really are at a disadvantage when gaming, its nice to see someone doing something about it.

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
Formica Archonis said:
Awwww, that's both cool and heartwarming. HUGS AND/OR FISTBUMPS ALL AROUND!
Fisthugs? Not a good idea.

If this guy can get Nintendo or another developer to look at this, maybe more people with disabilities will be able to play traditional video games like Mario Sunshine.

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
That is a really touching thing to do. I hope his brother appreciates the effort and time that went into this.

qazmatoz

Sep 17, 2009
Ih8pkmn said:
Formica Archonis said:
Awwww, that's both cool and heartwarming. HUGS AND/OR FISTBUMPS ALL AROUND!
Fisthugs? Not a good idea.

If this guy can get Nintendo or another developer to look at this, maybe more people with disabilities will be able to play traditional video games like Mario Sunshine.
I was just thinking about that and wouldn't a fisthug really just be a handshake in the end?

supaflystrikes

Jun 13, 2010
Wow, that's pretty awesome. Honestly, I don't think I'd do something that nice a time consuming for my brother. You, Hasse, deserve a prize and a cookie.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Seems like it would be easier to use a actual joystick where the A button is and move the other buttons to the front side and bottom, or use the motion controls as say the C buttons as they usually don't require precise timing. Still pretty cool.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
*Faith in humanity arrives after long jetpack journey* Hi, faith in humanity! Good to see you again! (came to this thread after losing some of my faith in humanity...)

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
I'm not disabled but I want one just so I can be super lazy and be on the phone or something and game at the same time.