Modders Restore Knights of the Old Republic II Content

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
Clearing the Eye said:
You can say what ever you want, disagree with me for however long you want, but this novel: http://www.starwars.com/shop/books/star_wars_the_old_republic_revan/

Confirms EVERYTHING I have said. And its written by the guy who WROTE the original KOTOR and the SWTOR storylines.

Star Wars novels are considered CANON. Your opinion is moot.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
aceman67 said:
Clearing the Eye said:
You can say what ever you want, disagree with me for however long you want, but this novel: http://www.starwars.com/shop/books/star_wars_the_old_republic_revan/

Confirms EVERYTHING I have said. And its written by the guy who WROTE the original KOTOR and the SWTOR storylines.

Moot? I see. Now, you've used the word, but I don't think you know what opinion means. Unless you want to take a look at your post there and can honestly argue opinion's a matter of right and wrong, you're (ironically) wrong.

You enjoy your opinion. I'll enjoy mine. We both know who is right, right? :p

TheKaduflyerSystem

Feb 15, 2011
MOAR MOD SUPPORT IS NEEDED FOR EVERYTHING.
Not too much to encourage hacks, but enough to increase the longevity of games.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
I know first game I'm getting once I eventually get a new computer.

KOTORII was seriously so great, I don't understand why we don't have KOTORIII, well...I do...but I think making 3 would be better, especially in current times. The story is original, the characters well fleshed out, and even making a new story would be worth it. Make it post movies, that'd be awesome. I trust the team, I trust the creators, and I'm sure that even if it sucked, first day sales would be through the roof...

But having II fully unlocked sounds freaking awesome, if only my computer wasn't crap...

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
Clearing the Eye said:
aceman67 said:
Clearing the Eye said:

Moot? I see. Now, you've used the word, but I don't think you know what opinion means. Unless you want to take a look at your post there and can honestly argue opinion's a matter of right and wrong, you're (ironically) wrong.

Just so you know, you are wrong and aceman is right. The Star Wars universe is very very precise about what is considered canon in its universe. To the point that it has several official, as in legally established by GL and LucasArts, levels of canon to account for any continuity issues.

Regardless of what you think it should be, the canonical Revan from KotOR timeline onward is explicity lightside.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Tumedus said:
Clearing the Eye said:
aceman67 said:
Clearing the Eye said:

Just so you know, you are wrong and aceman is right. The Star Wars universe is very very precise about what is considered canon in its universe. To the point that it has several official, as in legally established by GL and LucasArts, levels of canon to account for any continuity issues.

Regardless of what you think it should be, the canonical Revan from KotOR timeline onward is explicity lightside.
I disagree with you there, buddy. He was always outside such triviality. The Jedi brainwashed him (more or less) for a short period of time, but he was never beholden to any side of the force. Thus why Revanites are neither light nor dark.

Nicolairigel

May 6, 2011
Already played through the game with this modded version, and I have to say it's probably the reason Kotor 2 is now my personal favorite game of all time. Glad to see that these people's hard work are finally receiving recognition.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
Clearing the Eye said:
Except thats where you're wrong... again. The Revanites may not be light or dark (Actually, thats wrong, many of them are blatantly light and dark, like the Assasian who sends you for Revan's mask and wants to keep it for herself to attain power in the Revanite order), but that doesn't negate the fact that Revan himself is lightside. In the novel he is accepted back into the Jedi Order (something that would not have happened had he been darkside, or even fence-sitting/neutral), but was pretty much shunned and censored for his take on how he views the lightside of the force because of his unique experiences of having been at the two Extremes, paragons of Light and Dark. He believes that the Jedi Way of suppressing all emotion, good or bad, and not allowing attachments to be wasteful because it was his intense love for Bastila that brought her back from the darkside after Malak seduced her to follow him, and its their love for eachother that keeps them both grounded in the light.

He views emotions like love and compassion, and the strength that comes from attachments like friendships and lovers, all tempered with wisdom and experience would make the Jedi Order stronger, and more able to face the followers of the Darkside.

Lastly, you are allowed to have your opinion, that is your right, but that doesn't change the fact that you're wrong.

And that's not an opinion, as Tumedus said, there are very strict rules that Lucas and Lucasarts/film set forth that determine what is Canon and what is not.

That rules being: If it is published under the Star Wars/Lucasfilm Entertainment brand, IT IS CANON. Period.

In the Case of video games where players can choose to be Light or Dark, its like this: If the character is a Jedi/Fights the darkside, they are light, if they are Sith/fights the lightside, they are darkside. For non-force users, they align themselves with their respective factions(light for republic, dark for empire), but are not extreme light/dark.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Hmm... for the record, the only reason Obsidian rushed for a Christmas release was because LucasArts insisted that they do so. Also, the only reason a mod like this was needed was because, again, LucasArts refused to let Obsidian patch the dummied-out content back into the game.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
Clearing the Eye said:
I disagree with you there, buddy. He was always outside such triviality. The Jedi brainwashed him (more or less) for a short period of time, but he was never beholden to any side of the force. Thus why Revanites are neither light nor dark.
You can disagree with it all you want. The canon is officially established with LA for the SW universe and it says he is Lightside.

And what the Revanites think isn't really relevant since they are a cult of some pretty crazy, almost exclusively Sith, worshipers of a figure that has been missing for 300 years. They still believe in the acquisition of power over all, they just argue that embracing more Jedi type philosophies, especially toward the use of other races, allows for even greater power than the current Sith code allows.

They also believed that he found the emperor, killed him, and overtook the position. Thus displaying that their beliefs are incorrect.

Dukenstein

Jul 14, 2010
Could someone who has played this new mod make a quick list of all the additions? I'm quite interested.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
Dukenstein said:
Could someone who has played this new mod make a quick list of all the additions? I'm quite interested.
if you read the article, and went to the mod download site, you'll find a rather lengthy list of what is changed/added/fixed

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Damn, I remember seeing this mod on my roommate's comp back in late 2009. Didn't actually think it would be finished to this degree. Well, I guess that's the perk of having a dedicated fan base isn't it?

Steagony

Nov 20, 2009
KotOR II is sweet nuts. Just downloaded the 1.7 version of this mod the other day, tho ]: Guess I gotta reinstall.

But it's kay, didn't even like playing a Jedi Guardian. Guess it's back to the Sentinel/Watchman for me! I don't even wanna see the edges of my comfort zone anymore.

Michael Rogov

Oct 17, 2011
Brings a tear to my eye. KOTORII is my favourite game of all time, more so than the first one. Games like Dragon Age Origins might have better party interaction, but I will always have a soft spot for this game. Downloading it as we speak.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
Clearing the Eye said:
but he was never beholden to any side of the force.
Actually... you're wrong there... when Revan returned as the Dark Lord of the Sith after the Mandalorian War, he and Malak were under the thrall of the Emperor, an Immortal being who attained his power by LITERALLY sucking the force from an entire planet (both the planet itself and its inhabitants, leaving a void scar in the force, so much so that even the physical world was changed causing sound and color to be dulled). They were faced with the Darkside personified, and they were overwhelmed.

The Emperor was the dark and terrible thing Revan and Malak found in the Unknown regions.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
rhizhim said:
Twilight_guy said:
Not 'restored', restored implies that it once existed int he game and was removed. They 'finished' content that was never included.

Also, if they really had that much crap sitting unused in their files then they did a really, really bad job coding because stuff like that should have been cut and removed and never released with the final product. Cutting unused content is the quickest thing you can do to increase efficiency, one of your major goals.
at least obsidian said 'i am sorry that we could not finish the game like we wanted to
so we will inlude the file so some dedicated modders can finish what we cant due to a new and insane short deadline.

also the finished was included but 'blocked' from access in the game.
and its easier and more efficient to block the access from unfinished areas of the game than searching the right parts through the code and deleting them.

i doubt you play mostly with your pc since thats a common thing.
If it was simply 'blocked' it wouldn't have taken so many years to create this this mod. It's obvious that this involved not only going through and doing things like altering booleans, uncommenting lines, figuring out what lines went where, and other common stuff to quickly remove stuff but also fishing completely unfinished work that was in a partial state of completion. You don't work on something for 3 years just to unblock things unless the project was super low priority, which I doubt in this case.

Also, no, leaving unfinished content is not apologizing, its another example of how unfinished this game was. A finished game does not include X number of mega or giga bytes of data that does absolutely nothing because it is cut content. In a finished game the developers go through and actually cut their cut content. Obsidian didn't have time to due to, as stated, their rushed schedule.

Also, your implication that I don't play on my PC due to my not understanding how game are put together is stupid since there are tons of people who play PC games and have not a clue about how games are made (or how computers work). That was just mean.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Irridium said:
frizzlebyte said:
Hang on, is this related to the Team Gizka Restoration Mod? I followed that thing for sooooo long.

Anyway, this is great. I liked KOTOR 2, and this just makes it even better.
Nope. From what I gathered these people got tired of Team Gizka taking so long, so they started their own restoration project.

With blackjack, and hookers.
Heh, that's good motivation, then... :D