Modding single player Mass Effect 3 bans you from Origin

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
The Lunatic said:
SajuukKhar said:
Funny thing is though you technically didn't purchase a game.

I wish it was the way you described it, but that isn't how it is now.
They claim you don't, but, I'm sure if you took them to court and had a judge with any common sense, you'd probably be fine.

The issue is a lot of people just don't stand up for consumer rights.
Software licenses have been around for nearly as long as software and they do hold up in court.

EA can do what ever they want if you don't like it don't buy it, I rarely buy games that don't allow mods.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Darknacht said:
The Lunatic said:
SajuukKhar said:
Funny thing is though you technically didn't purchase a game.

I wish it was the way you described it, but that isn't how it is now.
They claim you don't, but, I'm sure if you took them to court and had a judge with any common sense, you'd probably be fine.

The issue is a lot of people just don't stand up for consumer rights.
Software licenses have been around for nearly as long as software and they do hold up in court.
What Darknacht said.

Alacar Leoricar

Aug 29, 2008
Once again, I find another reason to hate EA. I'm sure Bioware would've been more open to the modding community, but this smells like EA getting in the way. Why, EA. Why you gotta be such a jerk?

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Darknacht said:

EA can do what ever they want if you don't like it don't buy it, I rarely buy games that don't allow mods.
Rarely in any country that makes sense, would a hasty written EULA win over law or common sense.

In the UK at least, all goods have to be "Fit for purpose".

This means they act how the trader has stated they will. IE, a game will run on a Xbox 360, if it needs Kinect, it has to say it needs kinect, etc.

This also tends to apply to things working in adverse ways not specified.

Like, a game banning you from using it, for editing a file.

These are the rights of consumers and probably hold up a lot better than some semi-sensical EULA intended to scare people.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
I love how many morons don't grasp the concept of what a "mod" is, but instead ***** about cheats (in a game primarily designed for singleplayer). Let me quote wikipedia for you people:
Mod or modification is a term generally applied to personal computer games (PC games), especially first-person shooters, role-playing games and real-time strategy games. Mods are made by the general public or a developer, and can be entirely new games in themselves, but mods are not standalone software and require the user to have the original release in order to run. They can include new items, weapons, characters, enemies, models, textures, levels, story lines, music, and game modes. They also usually take place in unique locations. They can be single-player or multiplayer. Mods that add new content to the underlying game are often called partial conversions, while mods that create an entirely new game are called total conversions and mods that fix bugs are called unofficial patches.
It'd be nice if more games supported mods, and less gamers ignorantly shunned them as "OMGZ HAX!".

EDIT: And so what if people want to cheat in a singleplayer game, why the fuck does it bother you? It's not harming anyone except the cheater (who is potentially wrecking their own experience).

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
I don't think EULAs are meant to scare people, it's a well known fact no one ever reads them.

they are meant to "screw customers over in as many wys as possible while doing so in such a way that they can be argued that what little freedom you have left makes it alright", if anything

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Lagao said:
Sorry is single player that hard for you?

Do you need someone to hold your hand or make you invincible?

If you need to mod the game in anyway, I laugh at you.

It's easy enough.
modding goes farther then that it also includes new weapons,new mission,new equipment and probably free HD packs made by the community.
OT
another reason for me to boycott EA I BOUGHT the game files,they are on MY computer and if I want to edit them or modify them that,s my own choice not the choice of the company that produced them

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
The Lunatic said:
Darknacht said:

Rarely in any country that makes sense, would a hasty written EULA win over law or common sense.

In the UK at least, all goods have to be "Fit for purpose".

This means they act how the trader has stated they will. IE, a game will run on a Xbox 360, if it needs Kinect, it has to say it needs kinect, etc.

This also tends to apply to things working in adverse ways not specified.

Like, a game banning you from using it, for editing a file.

These are the rights of consumers and probably hold up a lot better than some semi-sensical EULA intended to scare people.
The problem is that you would have to prove that not allowing you to mod it means that it is no longer "Fit for purpose" and that is very hard because the general assumption with software is that you are not allowed to modify it or use it for an unintended purpose. Many games tend to allow you to mod them but that is not true of all software and EA claims that games have the same rights as other software.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Yellowbeard said:
Vigormortis said:
That said, with the success of the Steam Inventory and trade system, the possibility of trading "used" games may not be that far-fetched.
Oh man, I would give anything to be able to trade in COD4, just out of spite. I can't believe I spent $15 bucks on that hemmorrhoid sandwich.
You know, it's kind of funny. The first Modern Warfare is the only Call of Duty game I could stand. The campaign, while a bit too self-aware for it's own good, was still really well done. Even if some of the dialog was quite weak.

Since then, though, it's been a steady free-fall into mediocrity.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
...And Blizzard/Activision banned people who memory hacked in SP and even took them to court.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Darknacht said:
The problem is that you would have to prove that not allowing you to mod it means that it is no longer "Fit for purpose" and that is very hard because the general assumption with software is that you are not allowed to modify it or use it for an unintended purpose. Many games tend to allow you to mod them but that is not true of all software and EA claims that games have the same rights as other software.
I'm pretty sure if I came down to common sense, it'd be something along the lines of "Nothing that changes that game in any significant way". Which, I doubt this mode did.

However, as something like this has never been taken to court, there's no real law on it, because there's yet to be any needed.

An issue of people not standing against this kinda thing.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Welp, I was on the "Hey Origin isn't so bad, the prices are starting to go down" side, but nope, not anymore. I have 3 games on there now, and it will stay at three indefinitely.

So the scores are;
EA - 3
Valve - 250

And that's the end of the match folks.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Yeah mods have always been a problem when it comes to hacks, since hacking the game to gain an advantage in multiplayer is about one step further from simple modding.

I understand why EA bans people for it, but their technique to preventing hacks could be better.

It's like carpet bombing a forest full of rebels instead of bothering to send ground troops in to take them out.

Laura Fugata

Jan 26, 2012
Yellowbeard said:
Vigormortis said:
That said, with the success of the Steam Inventory and trade system, the possibility of trading "used" games may not be that far-fetched.
Oh man, I would give anything to be able to trade in COD4, just out of spite. I can't believe I spent $15 bucks on that hemmorrhoid sandwich.
whats your issue with cod4? that was the last good fps released.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
henritje said:
Lagao said:
Sorry is single player that hard for you?

Do you need someone to hold your hand or make you invincible?

If you need to mod the game in anyway, I laugh at you.

It's easy enough.
modding goes farther then that it also includes new weapons,new mission,new equipment and probably free HD packs made by the community.
OT
another reason for me to boycott EA I BOUGHT the game files,they are on MY computer and if I want to edit them or modify them that,s my own choice not the choice of the company that produced them
I totally agree with you, although according to the EULA, no you didn't buy the game files. You bought the right to use them.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
zehydra said:
It's like carpet bombing a forest full of rebels instead of bothering to send ground troops in to take them out.
I am reminded of a time in the Evangelion movies when someone asked why they keep using massive, costly, bullets the size of cars that have no affect on the angels.

I don't remember the exact answer but I know that it was along the lines of "some people just aren't content until they have spent tons money on something"

zehydra said:
I totally agree with you, although according to the EULA, no you didn't buy the game files. You bought the privilege to use them.
edit

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
The Lunatic said:
Darknacht said:
I'm pretty sure if I came down to common sense, it'd be something along the lines of "Nothing that changes that game in any significant way". Which, I doubt this mode did.

However, as something like this has never been taken to court, there's no real law on it, because there's yet to be any needed.

An issue of people not standing against this kinda thing.
Stuff like this has been taken to court and the software license typically holds up. Even in games look at the SC2 incident mentioned by mad825, and Blizzard has banned lots of people for single player hacks and has taken the makers of mods to court to force them to stop making and distributing mod.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
SajuukKhar said:
Uhh were is the problem in this?

-The game belongs to EA/Bioware
-They have the right to say no modding SP

Again, where is the problem?
endtherapture said:
Source: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/344/index/9917845/2#10648995

Previously I didn't care about Origin, it just seemed like Steam but slightly worse. However after this I can't endorse it's use to anyone.

Disgusting behaviour from EA, they truly are ruining the industry.
(Mass Effect 3 Single player EULA)

E. Reservation of Rights. You have obtained a license to the Software and
your rights are subject to this License. Except as expressly licensed to
you herein, EA reserves all right, title and interest in the Software
(including all characters, storyline, images, photographs, animations,
video, music, text), and all associated copyrights, trademarks, and other
intellectual property rights therein. This License is limited to the
intellectual property rights of EA and its licensors in the Software and does
not include any rights to other patents or intellectual property. Except to
the extent permitted under applicable law
, you may not decompile,
disassemble, or reverse engineer the Software, or any component thereof,
by any means whatsoever. You may not remove, alter, or obscure any
product identification, copyright, or other intellectual property notices in the
Software. All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved by EA.

Modding falls under fair use
so provided it dose not also remove IP protection your just fine
its not even a breech of the EULA

Edit: hell the next section tells you they own your mods
and can sell them without giving you a cent lol