Modern Gaming Sucks!!! Or Does It?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Just sum up what he says, his style is too annoying for 20 min and I hate his avatar. He needs to sound much more twinkish for that avatar.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Just sum up what he says, his style is too annoying for 20 min and I hate his avatar. He needs to sound much more twinkish for that avatar.
Okay those are subjective gripes. And...?

I will say I don't care much for the late 2000s YouTube critic intermission / explosions. I never care too much for them, but you can kind of tell where he started from. I think he started from the early 2010s, but he still fits into that circle. Kamen I don't subscribe to for a reason, but he does have some good articles. Though I am wary of who he hangs out with or has as colleagues. Just A Robot is one of his so-called YouTube colleagues. That guy is trouble and unfortunately fell into the "everything is woke" grifting nonsense. He was decent for a time, but at some point around the pandemic he fell into that trap, and I want nothing to do with him. If Kamen starts doing that too, then his ass can be booted to the Moon next.

I will say something about Kamen's commentary on gaming journalism. While YT critics and Twitch streamers are better by comparison, they can still fall into that same trap of circle jerk, throwing politics unrelated to the game(s) at hand, just being offended by something really dumb, overreacting on minor or non-issues, and the usual click baiting nonsense.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I will say I don't care much for the late 2000s YouTube critic intermission / explosions. I never care too much for them, but you can kind of tell where he started from. I think he started from the early 2010s, but he still fits into that circle. Kamen I don't subscribe to for a reason, but he does have some good articles. Though I am wary of who he hangs out with or has as colleagues. Just A Robot is one of his so-called YouTube colleagues. That guy is trouble and unfortunately fell into the "everything is woke" grifting nonsense. He was decent for a time, but at some point around the pandemic he fell into that trap, and I want nothing to do with him. If Kamen starts doing that too, then his ass can be booted to the Moon next.
Wait, how much of the vid does he spend whining about other youtube critics? Why would you link this?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Wait, how much of the vid does he spend whining about other youtube critics?
None, if you're referring to Kamen. He talks about gaming journalism and how certain people overreact to them. He's got time stamps in the sliding bar. 13:30 is where he goes on about the journalism.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
None, if you're referring to Kamen. He talks about gaming journalism and how certain people overreact to them. He's got time stamps in the sliding bar. 13:30 is where he goes on about the journalism.
I can tell you all the problems with games journalism. Its incestuous since the primary advertisers for those sites are also the companies that the journalists are covering and thus they have a bit too much sway with their dollars. And that games journalists tend to be fans and fans can be the best and worst. Every other issue is an issue with any kind of journalism. There, I did it in 2.5 sentences.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I can tell you all the problems with games journalism. Its incestuous since the primary advertisers for those sites are also the companies that the journalists are covering and thus they have a bit too much sway with their dollars. And that games journalists tend to be fans and fans can be the best and worst. Every other issue is an issue with any kind of journalism. There, I did it in 2.5 sentences.
I'm sure somebody will appreciate shortening the time to explain things, but he wasn't just talking about journalism in his 20 minute video. I just checked the journalism section: it's only about 3 and a half to 4 minutes long. He really didn't stretch much. I don't see what the big deal is.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm sure somebody will appreciate shortening the time to explain things, but he wasn't just talking about journalism in his 20 minute video. I just checked the journalism section: it's only about 3 and a half to 4 minutes long. He really didn't stretch much. I don't see what the big deal is.
He has an annoying style and its probably the usual whining about "games not being as good as they used to be" kinda thing, which only makes any sense if you look at the aa-aaa space since we don't get much experimentation in those spaces and there is so much monetization of every little thing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
He has an annoying style and its probably the usual whining about "games not being as good as they used to be" kinda thing, which only makes any sense if you look at the aa-aaa space since we don't get much experimentation in those spaces and there is so much monetization of every little thing.
He's not wrong. It sucks when the truth hurts, but it is true. I know there are good AAA games out there, but he mainly talks about the monetization schemes and bad DLCs, or how many $60-70 games are at usually broken/glitchy at launch. The price hike from a lot of first party companies and third party companies Not all of them, but there are a lot of them, and that is a few too many. I'm not sure if you seen the whole video or not, but he doesn't go on about how everything was perfect back then. Kamen points out the flaws from the old eras as well, and he even admitted that he appreciates when a patch happens. Though he prefers a patch if it's something fixed immediately or a company goes out of their way to make things right and not just put it a patch as an afterthought, neglectfulness, fix it later mentality, or out of laziness. I don't know everything about Kamen, nor am I that invested in the guy, yet I can't help but feel you're looking for something that's not there. I know you said it his voice annoys you, but that's subjective. His voice doesn't annoy me, and I've heard so much worse on YouTube.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
He's not wrong. It sucks when the truth hurts, but it is true. I know there are good AAA games out there, but he mainly talks about the monetization schemes and bad DLCs, or how many $60-70 games are at usually broken/glitchy at launch. The price hike from a lot of first party companies and third party companies Not all of them, but there are a lot of them, and that is a few too many. I'm not sure if you seen the whole video or not, but he doesn't go on about how everything was perfect back then. Kamen points out the flaws from the old eras as well, and he even admitted that he appreciates when a patch happens. Though he prefers a patch if it's something fixed immediately or a company goes out of their way to make things right and not just put it a patch as an afterthought, neglectfulness, fix it later mentality, or out of laziness. I don't know everything about Kamen, nor am I that invested in the guy, yet I can't help but feel you're looking for something that's not there. I know you said it his voice annoys you, but that's subjective. His voice doesn't annoy me, and I've heard so much worse on YouTube.
Its not that its wrong, its just that its the same ol same ol. Its nothing new added, chances are this thread has some variation of it on each page. They put the past in this glowing light of the past being filtered to its best and the present has only the biggest of big games being focused on. It usually ignores all the games in the past that did have really bad bugs and forgets that indies are the biggest they have ever been.

My point about his voice as that it has a huge mismatch with his twink avatar, his style is a combination of how he talks, his editing and just how adhd his vid seems.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Its not that its wrong, its just that its the same ol same ol.
And until people in this industry learn, be they publisher, developer, or consumer, the same thing will happen again and again. I just happened to catch the video pop up on my recommendation feed and it's related to this topic, so I put the video on this thread.

They put the past in this glowing light of the past being filtered to its best and the present has only the biggest of big games being focused on. It usually ignores all the games in the past that did have really bad bugs and forgets that indies are the biggest they have ever been.
Who is they in this case? Like I said before, Kamen has no problem acknowledging the bad or buggy games that released before the HD era and Xbox live. Indies and lower budget games, Kamen highly recommended going to them. Since they keep the spirit of gamin alive, without the predatory practices you would see in most larger games nowadays. Indies aren't perfect either, and have some of their own screw-ups, but trying way more than most major publishers and developers.

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
One thing that kinda sucks about modern gaming is the pace of modern society and instant gratification factor has led to a fast food appetite for consuming games -

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
One thing that kinda sucks about modern gaming is the pace of modern society and instant gratification factor has led to a fast food appetite for consuming games -

That's always kind of been there even before the internet. You won't believe the nine people who had got lost somewhere in the navigation was easy or they overlooked something. I usually don't have to look up guys, but I'm not afraid to if it's something really frustrating or the game is not telling me. I really don't care either way. What somebody does on their personal time or gratification is all on them. It's their copy of the game, they can play however they want. They can literally looking at entire guide while playing, and I wouldn't give a damn.

As for as what sucks in modern gaming right now, the only look out for the AI grifters. This isn't just a gaming thing, but a voice acting thing, movie thing, and regular acting. The executive class are off with another scam and we (they specifically) are in another Gold Rush.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Its not that its wrong, its just that its the same ol same ol. Its nothing new added, chances are this thread has some variation of it on each page. They put the past in this glowing light of the past being filtered to its best and the present has only the biggest of big games being focused on. It usually ignores all the games in the past that did have really bad bugs and forgets that indies are the biggest they have ever been.
I'm not at all sure it's that gaming has got worse, I suspect a lot of it is just that we got older. Part, I suspect, is also standard anti-corporate cynicism, as gaming has gone from shed-at-the-bottom-of-the-garden outfits to middle-size companies to massive global corporations, and with it more perception of impersonal, capitalist rip-off.