Modern Gaming Sucks!!! Or Does It?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
What did I say is wrong?
COD 4 is really the only one that I would say is 100% solid, single player is really good, gameplay isn't as tight as it would be with later installments but still feels really good, multi was a ton of fun despite losing all your skins on prestige. Warfighter though... that just confuses the hell out of me, when I initially played it the single player was at best ok, going back to play it again later it went from ok to complete crap, the multi was fine, but the most interesting thing it did was have your character grow a beard as you leveled, and have a Bradly fighting vehicle in one of the maps.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Then you should stop playing games all together since that will never happen.
No, because there are plenty of games better than what I just mentioned. My main point being that I don't see a whole bunch of "realistic" clogging up the space ever again. Thankfully, that has come true, and BRs are on their way out now as well. Congratulations, you fuckers at the top.
When something is big, it will have imitators and lots of them, just look at Vampire Survivor. Really the exception to that rule is the Souls/borne/ring series, there are some but no where near as many as would be expected from how big they are.
Even back then in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s with their imitators, at least a decent amount of games tried doing something different or at the bare minimum, have some resemblance of fun. I am not implying things were perfect, but there was way more creative energy. It wasn't until the late GTA clone days and early COD clone days, that issue was getting more noticeable and problematic.

Really the exception to that rule is the Souls/borne/ring series, there are some but no where near as many as would be expected from how big they are.
Yet most of the Souls clones that have come out for the past decade are either forgettable, not as good, or plain bad. It's only been recently, around the late 2010s and early 2020s, the games taking Souls inspirations are all of doing their own thin and being creative in some way. Look at Remnant of Ashes, Ni-Oh 1&2, or even the upcoming Lies of P and Wu-Long (which has been nicknamed Chinese/DW Ni-Oh 3). There some creativity right there. Though once again, AA and Indie beat most of the AAA Souls clones in doing something unique or different.

Medal of Honor Warfighter completely obliterates COD in multiplayer gameplay quality. I don't think there's a better FPS multiplayer since Warfighter from a gameplay standpoint.
As much as I hate COD, we all know that's a bold face fucking lie.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I don't think stuff like Fortnite takes up any space actually, most of the people playing it are basically a new and untapped demographic that is being converted into playing videogames due to a fad, it's like how a lot of pokemon go players hadn't played pokemon since the original red/blue, if that. They may have played things like Minecraft or whatever else little children play, but that's it. Now, of course you do have some big streamers and pros and so on who might have been normal gamers and latched onto stuff like fortnite like barnacles and made a lot of money, but they are not indicative of your average gamer's trajectory into that game.

It's the same thing that's been spoken of when people contrast the popularity of Jrpgs to the popularity of other more modern genres of game. They fail to realize that it's not ex-Jrpg fans playing those more modern games, they're new, totally other people who never played Jrpgs to begin with, so it's not that Jrpgs are less popular or successful or got worse somehow, but that new games came into the picture and attracted new even more large audiences to them. Jrpgs stayed the same and rose in popularity at a steady, but lower than the meteoric rate of those other genres, and that's fine.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Even back then in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s with their imitators, at least a decent amount of games tried doing something different or at the bare minimum, have some resemblance of fun. I am not implying things were perfect, but there was way more creative energy. It wasn't until the late GTA clone days and early COD clone days, that issue was getting more noticeable and problematic.
"Clones" have always tried to put their own spin on things, although back in the day the tech was limited enough that it was hard, there were a ton of doom/Wolfenstein clones, but most were shit and forgotten, we even had quakeclones be a term briefly till Half Life and Unreal destroyed it and just FPS took over. But we see copies all the time, we had mascot platformers, doomclones, gow clones, MWclones, pubgclones, etc etc etc. Everything is derivative.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
"Clones" have always tried to put their own spin on things, although back in the day the tech was limited enough that it was hard, there were a ton of doom/Wolfenstein clones, but most were shit and forgotten, we even had quakeclones be a term briefly till Half Life and Unreal destroyed it and just FPS took over.
Depends on which ones you're talking about. I highly doubt anyone remembers Blake Stone: Alien of Gold or Redneck Rampage, aside from Yahtzee and Civvie. Duke Nukem 3D itself copied Doom, except you had real world locations and protagonist that actually talked like an 80s/90s action hero. Then came Blood and Shadow Warrior, which were considered Duke clones. Unreal was a Quake clone, that outshined the original (hence the video I posted yesterday with Civvie covering the game). Unreal II is a shitty Quake II clone no one remembers for a good reason.

All ironic now, because the Indie and AA FPS games are borrowing from Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake, or Wolfenstein and doing it just as good or better than some of the classics. In the case of Doom, Wolfenstein, and Shadow Warrior, they all had a successful reboot.

But we see copies all the time, we had mascot platformers, doomclones, gow clones,
Differences are at least decent amount of those actually tried or had some personality.

MWclones, pubgclones,
Too bad a majority of them ain't fun and are even shittier than PUBG or Fortnite. The only good one was Rumbleverse, and Epic killed it because it wasn't making all the money in the universe! As for the COD clones, I already made my case a million times. Less effort than Doom or Quake clones. Limited weapon loadout and regenerative health for the sake of "realism" (fuck anyone who still defends that bad design trend). Linear corridors that constantly railroad you and can fail you for going off the beaten path. "Dark, gritty, and mature" and ugly (if a game used only dogshit brown and gunmetal grey) looking for no rhyme or reason, other than COD and Gears did it!

Everything is derivative.
Doesn't excuse it for being this limited and derivative in scope and design. I know you're not, but pointing the huge problems here with modern AAA.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
COD 4 is really the only one that I would say is 100% solid, single player is really good, gameplay isn't as tight as it would be with later installments but still feels really good, multi was a ton of fun despite losing all your skins on prestige. Warfighter though... that just confuses the hell out of me, when I initially played it the single player was at best ok, going back to play it again later it went from ok to complete crap, the multi was fine, but the most interesting thing it did was have your character grow a beard as you leveled, and have a Bradly fighting vehicle in one of the maps.
I said COD4 campaign was solid, 7-8/10 area IMO. The gameplay just taken on its own isn't anything too special, it's does what it does very well, but there's a lot that it doesn't do (like interesting level design or enemy AI). It's a great ride, no doubt no diggity. Yes, the single player of Warfighter is complete unadulterated crap, I only said the multiplayer of Warfighter is any good and it's actually really great. The controls for Warfighter are amazing and the movement options make gunfights have great depth. When you only have great controls against standard enemy AI with shit everything else, you have a complete garbage single player experience (there were even weird ass car sections). However, when you're playing other human players on very functionally decent to good multiplayer maps with great balance and great controls allowing for depth in gunfights, the experience is completely different. I played hundreds of hours in both COD4 and Warfighter, and I'd still play Warfighter today (if it's still online and you can actually buy good PS3 controllers still) over any similar style FPS online shooter released since then.

As much as I hate COD, we all know that's a bold face fucking lie.
I said only the multiplayer.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I don't think stuff like Fortnite takes up any space actually, most of the people playing it are basically a new and untapped demographic that is being converted into playing videogames due to a fad, it's like how a lot of pokemon go players hadn't played pokemon since the original red/blue, if that. They may have played things like Minecraft or whatever else little children play, but that's it. Now, of course you do have some big streamers and pros and so on who might have been normal gamers and latched onto stuff like fortnite like barnacles and made a lot of money, but they are not indicative of your average gamer's trajectory into that game.
Just responding for the sake of argument, I guess it can be construed by gamers that the existence of these new mega block buster things influence a lot of developers to pivot, and thus leave their existing fanbases out in the cold. I was actually kind of looking forward to the "new" revamped Unreal Tournament, but that shit has definitely been left out in the cold and I'm sure Fortnite's success had something to do with that.

I'm not a Call of Duty player so I have no idea what impact Warzone has had on their mainline games.

There's no real proof of it, but it wouldn't be the biggest leap on logic for Titanfall fans to take umbrage at Apex Legends for "taking Titanfall away".

I'm not going to claim that this line of reasoning holds that much water if you wanna really delve into it, but gamers can be an emotional bunch. But I do agree that these games are grabbing a different market share and in some essence aren't taking up the same space.

I've known plenty of so called 'gamers' growing up. And it was pretty much "people that only played Counterstrike", and then it was "people that only played DoTA". PUBG has a bit of a following here, but the following are a new wave of kids that play it on smartphones at WiFi hotspots and stuff. Digital storefronts has also overall increased access to games new and old and it's become so much more easier to just ignore all these new cliques and not let them affect me whatsoever.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Just responding for the sake of argument, I guess it can be construed by gamers that the existence of these new mega block buster things influence a lot of developers to pivot, and thus leave their existing fanbases out in the cold. I was actually kind of looking forward to the "new" revamped Unreal Tournament, but that shit has definitely been left out in the cold and I'm sure Fortnite's success had something to do with that.

I'm not a Call of Duty player so I have no idea what impact Warzone has had on their mainline games.

There's no real proof of it, but it wouldn't be the biggest leap on logic for Titanfall fans to take umbrage at Apex Legends for "taking Titanfall away".

I'm not going to claim that this line of reasoning holds that much water if you wanna really delve into it, but gamers can be an emotional bunch. But I do agree that these games are grabbing a different market share and in some essence aren't taking up the same space.

I've known plenty of so called 'gamers' growing up. And it was pretty much "people that only played Counterstrike", and then it was "people that only played DoTA". PUBG has a bit of a following here, but the following are a new wave of kids that play it on smartphones at WiFi hotspots and stuff. Digital storefronts has also overall increased access to games new and old and it's become so much more easier to just ignore all these new cliques and not let them affect me whatsoever.
I think what you suggest is definitely possible, but my view is that anyone who would be influenced in this manner wasn't worth anything in the long run anyways so nothing of value was lost. If you don't have enough passion for what you're making and can be swayed by fads to this degree (assuming you weren't itching to make a game in a genre like that but couldn't up to that point, which can also happen) then you likely weren't gonna make anything worth playing had the fad not occurred either way.

And yeah those are the kinds of gamers I'm talking about, they weren't people who were playing Jrpgs and fighting games but once DotA hit they dropped all the other genres and dove in. Those people weren't gettable players of any other genre, especially the more niche ones that you wouldn't get a big social circle effect from being a fan of. When I was growing up (and due to growing up in europe) it was mainly sports games and driving games and maybe unreal tournament at most that those types would play. If you tried to talk to them about something like final fantasy or ninja gaiden they would ridicule that, so this is not something caused by the existence of like...gran turismo and fifa games, these people were that way anyways, which is why they played the games they did.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
When I was growing up (and due to growing up in europe) it was mainly sports games and driving games and maybe unreal tournament at most that those types would play. If you tried to talk to them about something like final fantasy or ninja gaiden they would ridicule that, so this is not something caused by the existence of like...gran turismo and fifa games, these people were that way anyways, which is why they played the games they did.
In America, we have/had plenty of people only play Madden/NHL/NBA/Fifa non-arcade/realistic sports games. People who only played GTA, Halo, or COD. I remember my first year in college there was a small group of guys that only played COD or Halo, and nothing else. Most of them wouldn't look down on people playing different games, but you try ask them or show them anything else, they either weren't interested, because the shooter in question plays nothing like games they're playing, the game was "too old", despite the game on the 6th gen console not being that old yet, or make excuses claiming any other game was "too hard" or "too easy". One guy in the particular group called any game that color or had a Japanese-anime look was considered "gay" to him. Even his own group gave him a look that said what the fuck is wrong with you. People that were jerks in my high-school had sense to know there were other good games out there, even if they only stuck to the one or two games.

Shoot I remember talking one GS employee and he claimed he could never play NFL Blitz or any arcade sports games again, because they're "unrealistic". You do realize it was never about realism and just straight up having fun. You like Madden or 2K, more power to you, but don't act like their perfect games, nor have their own issues. I'll take a sports arcade game any day over another factory slop sports title. This conversation happened around 2015.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

It's the same thing that's been spoken of when people contrast the popularity of Jrpgs to the popularity of other more modern genres of game. They fail to realize that it's not ex-Jrpg fans playing those more modern games, they're new, totally other people who never played Jrpgs to begin with, so it's not that Jrpgs are less popular or successful or got worse somehow, but that new games came into the picture and attracted new even more large audiences to them. Jrpgs stayed the same and rose in popularity at a steady, but lower than the meteoric rate of those other genres, and that's fine.

Specifically in Fortnite's case, the Fortnite Battle Royale effectively killed 3 other games at Epic alone. Paragon, a sci-fi fantasy based MOBA (which admittedly seemed to be struggling with its development since the BETA was constantly resetting the whole game mechanically. Unreal Tournament 4. And ironicallly, Fortnite itself the original game that the BR was supposed to just be bonus funding to finish. All had their development teams siphoned into Fortnite BR.

They might not be taking players off other titles inherently, but they're drying up the pool of available games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Specifically in Fortnite's case, the Fortnite Battle Royale effectively killed 3 other games at Epic alone. Paragon, a sci-fi fantasy based MOBA (which admittedly seemed to be struggling with its development since the BETA was constantly resetting the whole game mechanically. Unreal Tournament 4. And ironicallly, Fortnite itself the original game that the BR was supposed to just be bonus funding to finish. All had their development teams siphoned into Fortnite BR.

They might not be taking players off other titles inherently, but they're drying up the pool of available games.
Civvie does mention part of this and his Unreal video.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa

Aren't all those shooters though? I generally don't play those so I'm not all that aware but basically how I see it is one shooter is always the big one, back in the day it was the halo series, then CoD, now fortnite. You always had some other stuff like medal of honor and battlefield and titanfall and overwatch and so on too, so I guess if you're saying those are the ones being done in I get what you mean, but I don't really think that is the case. It's just the stuff Epic would be making, other devs like bungie with Destiny 2 and whoever makes Overwatch 2 still make shooters don't they.

In America, we have/had plenty of people only play Madden/NHL/NBA/Fifa non-arcade/realistic sports games. People who only played GTA, Halo, or COD. I remember my first year in college there was a small group of guys that only played COD or Halo, and nothing else. Most of them wouldn't look down on people playing different games, but you try ask them or show them anything else, they either weren't interested, because the shooter in question plays nothing like games they're playing, the game was "too old", despite the game on the 6th gen console not being that old yet, or make excuses claiming any other game was "too hard" or "too easy". One guy in the particular group called any game that color or had a Japanese-anime look was considered "gay" to him. Even his own group gave him a look that said what the fuck is wrong with you. People that were jerks in my high-school had sense to know there were other good games out there, even if they only stuck to the one or two games.

Shoot I remember talking one GS employee and he claimed he could never play NFL Blitz or any arcade sports games again, because they're "unrealistic". You do realize it was never about realism and just straight up having fun. You like Madden or 2K, more power to you, but don't act like their perfect games, nor have their own issues. I'll take a sports arcade game any day over another factory slop sports title. This conversation happened around 2015.
I went to college in the US and my experience was totally different. We had an anime club you see, as opposed to a videogame group, and basically everyone there were gamers too, but people played basically everything and they were cool about all genres. It's how I got my first foot in the competitive fighter scene cause I met Blazblue fans there and got invited to their local gatherings after beating them all lol. It's awesome how you can make fast friends with a display of skill in a commonly beloved game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Aren't all those shooters though? I generally don't play those so I'm not all that aware but basically how I see it is one shooter is always the big one, back in the day it was the halo series, then CoD, now fortnite. You always had some other stuff like medal of honor and battlefield and titanfall and overwatch and so on too, so I guess if you're saying those are the ones being done in I get what you mean, but I don't really think that is the case. It's just the stuff Epic would be making, other devs like bungie with Destiny 2 and whoever makes Overwatch 2 still make shooters don't they.

I went to college in the US and my experience was totally different. We had an anime club you see, as opposed to a videogame group, and basically everyone there were gamers too, but people played basically everything and they were cool about all genres. It's how I got my first foot in the competitive fighter scene cause I met Blazblue fans there and got invited to their local gatherings after beating them all lol. It's awesome how you can make fast friends with a display of skill in a commonly beloved game.
There plenty of other gaming groups. They were fighting game groups and there was an anime club. Though the anime club I had to leave, because they were too snobby. The little group I mentioned earlier in the previous post was mainly composed of 4 guys that lived in the same dorm room. They weren't part of any actual gaming club or group. Sometimes they would meet up with some others to play COD, only two of them bothered that much with it.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
There plenty of other gaming groups. They were fighting game groups and there was an anime club. Though the anime club I had to leave, because they were too snobby. The little group I mentioned earlier in the previous post was mainly composed of 4 guys that lived in the same dorm room. They weren't part of any actual gaming club or group. Sometimes they would meet up with some others to play COD, only two of them bothered that much with it.
Ahh I see, if anything my anime club was not snobby enough lol. I couldn't stand to watch stuff in a group with everyone there cause people would talk and stuff right in the middle of something playing, like have they never been to the cinema, you're supposed to be quiet! XD But yeah besides that it was fun, all the activities and game and so on we would do there was a ton of fun, I just skipped out on the communal watching sessions after the first one.