Modern Gaming Sucks!!! Or Does It?

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Agreed, I am blanketing my sentiments on the industry on the whole because it exhausted me years ago, and I've not the patience anymore. I won't say it's "all or nothing;" I say there's a way to do it better with less predatory behaviors.
Like Horse Armor DLC...

Come on, someone had to say it in this thread.

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
That's the thing, I can't be bother to try, and in trying I feel like I'd be condoning behaviors that have permeated the industry that I am diametrically opposed to. It's not worth it to me. If I miss out, I miss out.
I mean this sounds a lot like a "you" problem. You have become jaded with things and thats fine. I dont understand why you railed on critical so hard when he was trying to defend the position of still liking video games as they currently release.

Nobody argued that shit was perfect, the stance was that video games currently do not suck. They have the same problems they have always had, these problems have just evolved with the technology to be more noticable in some cases.

You opinion is fine, and there is nothing wrong when people disagree and defend their reasoning as you have defended your position. Your replies came off unnecessarily harsh imo.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Lol, Horse Armor was an absolute farce out the gate; everyone knew it. The problem is now... nobody realizes it anymore or are willfully ignoring it.
Bethesda are an odd mob when it comes to DLC... they release some gems but also some utterly worthless shite that should result in public floggings of the people responsible.

At least they don't put/leave quest markers and other shit in the core game that hassle you into buying DLC, so I guess that's something.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Not always. For example, TV is in a golden age and it definitely wasn't better back whenever. Video games, at least AAA, are so homogeneous that they're all basically the same game most of the time. Sure, you had like every game being a platformer in the 2D days so you can make that argument but not after 3D consoles/games became a thing until somewhat recently.
I don't know about that. Its rather common to hear about the golden age of tv, less lately, but still there. Plus for the longest time the golden age of cartoons was like the 30s and 40s since you had all the classic loony tunes and such. I only stopped hearing that as much around when Steven Universe and MLP:FIM was coming out.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I understand games exist to make money; I'm not a charity case, but neither am I an ATM, and history has showed us the industry survived and thrived prior to these crass cash-grabby behaviors, so why can't I expect better or at least the standards they'd established set before mobile gaming introduced them to "hey, these idiots will pay you MOAR if you gate content off"? My boycott does little; this I know, but as I've said, it's on principle.
Thats the thing, most games that hardcore gate content don't work out, you have to at least give the illusion that a free player can get up there for it to succeed, at least in the west, seems like asian gamers are more willing to put up with straight up buying power. In the west they know we will put up with cosmetic stuff, but there is still blowback to it like we saw with Halo Infinite. Game companies largely want to be able to get as much out of gamers as they can without being yelled at, we saw that in the 90s with Nintendo's censorship, really it wasn't till Mortal Kombat that they reached the getting yelled at part so MK2 was uncensored.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I mean this sounds a lot like a "you" problem. You have become jaded with things and thats fine. I dont understand why you railed on critical so hard when he was trying to defend the position of still liking video games as they currently release.

Nobody argued that shit was perfect, the stance was that video games currently do not suck. They have the same problems they have always had, these problems have just evolved with the technology to be more noticable in some cases.

You opinion is fine, and there is nothing wrong when people disagree and defend their reasoning as you have defended your position. Your replies came off unnecessarily harsh imo.
It very much is a "me" problem. It's MY opinion that happens to differ from Critical. I didn't "rail" at them; I responded to their responses. What do you feel was "unnecessarily harsh" exactly? We've differed in a number of different discussions, and have never disrespected them nor have I felt disrespected that I can recall. I try to articulate thoughts, not feelings; internet's got enough of that.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
It very much is a "me" problem. It's MY opinion that happens to differ from Critical. I didn't "rail" at them; I responded to their responses. What do you feel was "unnecessarily harsh" exactly? We've differed in a number of different discussions, and have never disrespected them nor have I felt disrespected that I can recall. I try to articulate thoughts, not feelings; internet's got enough of that.
Actually you're right my mistake. That was brawlman being condesending. My apologies.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Actually you're right my mistake. That was brawlman being condesending. My apologies.
Only because Critical never listens, ignores the valid points, and hears what he only what hears, after telling him calmly and logically 1000 times before. Thank you. He don't want to listen and make excuses for the industry, not my problem

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
Only because Critical never listens, ignores the valid points, and hears what he only what hears, after telling him calmly and logically 1000 times before. Thank you. He don't want to listen and make excuses for the industry, not my problem
He ignored valid points or argued against them. There is a difference. You have a very pissy attitude of "i dont give a shit so dont even talk to me" and that kind of makes even trying to talk to you pointless.

You better agree with brawl or dont even bother talking to him because he doesnt want to hear what anyone has to say no matter what.

Whatever dude. Next time dont even bother replies if you give any shits.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You better agree with brawl or dont even bother talking to him because he doesnt want to hear what anyone has to say no matter what.
No, that belongs to some other users. I tried before, he never wants to listen. So I don't bother. With that said, modern gaming does have many problems. I don't downplay them, nor act like everything is good or okay. Not afraid to see or acknowledge what's going on, unlike some others.

Whatever dude. Next time dont even bother replies if you give any shits.
It's called calling out bullshit. Not my problem certain others can't handle it. Before you start, not doing any back and forth. I made myself clear.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Heck I even miss the Wii because in some cases it was just Gamecube 2.0
You can usually find a Wii used at okay price. The Wii U....varies where you look. This is why I always keep consoles I enjoy. The Wii U I don't own anymore, but if I need to play my Wii games in HD, I got an HDMI converted.

I miss the golden age of SNES/Genesis/GB, N64/Saturn/PS1, Xbox/GC/PS2/DC/GBA/DS

And PC gaming and Arcade gaming that released within these 3 generations.
I miss most of those days too, they all had their own flaws and drawbacks in each generation. As much as I miss the arcade days, they were already waning due to the expansive and feature rich console games and PC games. At least there are arcades I can go to in Detrioit and various other cities in Michigan. A lot of the old school ones too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
You can usually find a Wii used at okay price. The Wii U....varies where you look. This is why I always keep consoles I enjoy. The Wii U I don't own anymore, but if I need to play my Wii games in HD, I got an HDMI converted.

I miss most of these days too, they all had their own flaws and drawbacks in each generation. As much as I miss the arcade days, they were already waning due to the expansive and feature rich console games and PC games. At least there are arcades I can go to in Detrioit and various pther cities in Michigan. A lot of the old school ones too.
1. Already own both, though my Wii could use a bit of maintenence because certain games won't play on it because of the disc reader being a bit too dusty and it won't play games with certain discs like Smash Brawl and Xenoblade Chronicles.

2. I wish I was there in the Fighting Game boom.Especially for Mortal Kombat.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Thinking about it, the only games that come out broken/incomplete, are the ones that are either way too ambitious (CP2077, No Mans Sky), or the ones that are cynically made (ie, a new Battlefield game for the sake of there being a new Battlefield game).

Most of the time, modern games usually come out in an acceptable quality, or better.

Its just the hugely popular ones that are rushed out far too soon that make the headlines (CoD, Battlefield, Halo, Cyberpunk), giving "Modern games" as a whole a bad reputation.

As a rule of thumb though, I try to stay away from anything with a huge amount of hype (and frankly sounds too good to be true), and pretty much anything that relies heavily on its multiplayer mode, until I am well tuned into the public (not critical) reception of a game.

Pretty much anything else tends to turn out alright.

As an aside, I generally find it preferable to give new multiplayer games a wide birth for a few months, because "the latest and greatest" tends not to be the greatest at, well, anything, during the game's launch window.

These days, it tends to be that the game launches, and then you have to wait a few months for the game to be stable, let alone anything approaching feature parity with whatever game came before it. Like, why would anyone want to play Battlefield 2042 at the moment, when all of the previous Battlefield games, with all of their respective mountains of content are right there - and looking at the Steam charts for these games, it appears that the fanbase as a whole agrees with me.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
2. I wish I was there in the Fighting Game boom.Especially for Mortal Kombat.
I can understand, and while I miss some of those days, a lot of the old Mortal Kombat games have not aged well. In either graphics, or gameplay especially. Then again, I kind of lost my lust for MK around the time the 9th game came out. I am at the series does nothing for me at this point

As a rule of thumb though, I try to stay away from anything with a huge amount of hype (and frankly sounds too good to be true), and pretty much anything that relies heavily on its multiplayer mode, until I am well tuned into the public (not critical) reception of a game.
Same. It's why I was really wary of Cyberpunk. I still remember on the 1.0 version of the forum, that people got mad at me for not being hyped or not too interested. Or having concern about the rumors of crunch that were later true. It goes to show it's not only the gaming companies that are part of the problem. There are gamers that share blame too for this. Believing in the hype. Believing in it more than any religion.

As an aside, I generally find it preferable to give new multiplayer games a wide birth for a few months, because "the latest and greatest" tends not to be the greatest at, well, anything, during the game's launch window.

These days, it tends to be that the game launches, and then you have to wait a few months for the game to be stable, let alone anything approaching feature parity with whatever game came before it. Like, why would anyone want to play Battlefield 2042 at the moment, when all of the previous Battlefield games, with all of their respective mountains of content are right there - and looking at the Steam charts for these games, it appears that the fanbase as a whole agrees with me.
That's the problem with a lot of modern gaming right there though. It's the release it broken now, and "fix it" later attitude. I know not every company does this, but a lot of them do. I don't mind bug or patch fixes for games that are already complete. Because sometimes a programming or bug oversight does happen. Where a new patches happen to add new content or more replay value to it already good or great game. I prefer the days though, when most games will work right out of the box. Patches and updates is one of the advantages modern gaming has over compared to the past. But you have many that don't know how to use it, or only use it for a shallow this reasons. There are games that still got a bunch of patches, and they run like crap on consoles and PCs.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I don't know about that. Its rather common to hear about the golden age of tv, less lately, but still there. Plus for the longest time the golden age of cartoons was like the 30s and 40s since you had all the classic loony tunes and such. I only stopped hearing that as much around when Steven Universe and MLP:FIM was coming out.
I'm just saying I'm not putting on rose-colored nostalgia glasses and telling you everything before was better. TV is so much better now than it was. I don't know or really care if it has already peaked and is declining just that it's way better than before. Current AAA video games are not better than before. Music, even though my favorite artist of all time is currently making music, is not at all close to as good as it used to be.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm just saying I'm not putting on rose-colored nostalgia glasses and telling you everything before was better. TV is so much better now than it was. I don't know or really care if it has already peaked and is declining just that it's way better than before. Current AAA video games are not better than before. Music, even though my favorite artist of all time is currently making music, is not at all close to as good as it used to be.
That's the thing, nothing ever peaks, there is always good new stuff, when people say that so and so was better before, usually they are just letting their nostalgia take hold, although sometimes they are trying to win stupid culture war points. You would have to define what you mean by the current AAA games not being better then before, cause you also need to define when the AAA games started, was Super Metroid a AAA game? How about Super Mario Brothers 3, or what about Symphony of the Night? What era of gaming do you think we start seeing AAA games in and what are some ones from the past?

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Why anyone expected more than some really shiny eurojank is beyond me. It's certainly what I expected.
Because they want the Sun, the Moon, and the Earth. Also, deluding themselves in to thinking Cyberpunk was going to be "DA BEST GAME EVER/UV ALL TYME!!!". FOMO as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: RhombusHatesYou