Modern Warfare 3 Adds Folding Scopes and Smart Grenade Launchers

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
So they've added an even more powerful grenade launcher, and ANOTHER scope that will basically have Zero downsides.

I'm fairly certain that their MP design team's motto is "Fuck balance and skillful play. If its shiny or explosive or annoys the piss out of people with motor skills, put it in."

Anthony Abney

Mar 16, 2011
Psycho-Toaster said:
...That's it? That's one of the most significant gameplay changes since the previous game?

For crying out loud, that could have been a patch.
you do know that this is NOT one of the most significant gameplay changes right? They're saving all the big stuff for the big reveal at Call of Duty XP

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Hmmm I'm left wondering:
If a game wants to have balanced gameplay, where one weapon isn't strictly superrior to another, why would they seek advice from real life soldiers, who would, understandably, like nothing more than to have IMBA weapons?

Weapon manufacturers would never ask themselves, if they should notch down the power/usefullness of their new gun, because it makes the AK47 useless in comparision, game developers should (if they have the AK in their game)

Game developers should focus on what makes for good gameplay, not what a military expert considers a precice enough depiction of reality.

I don't care how imbalanced gunships are IRL, they broke BF2, and made many many players play infantry only, strictly to avoid them. (i know this is MW3, not BF3 beeing discussed, but this was a good example)

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Maybe that is the problem with COD is it isn't sporting to be a soldier.

Just replace skill with highpowered cheater guns.

Don't get me wrong those are the guns you want to use in real life battle,,,, but when your enemy uses the same tech,,, yeah fuck that.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Anthony Abney said:
Psycho-Toaster said:
...That's it? That's one of the most significant gameplay changes since the previous game?

For crying out loud, that could have been a patch.
you do know that this is NOT one of the most significant gameplay changes right? They're saving all the big stuff for the big reveal at Call of Duty XP
CoD has had significant gameplay changes? It's pretty much been the same but just changes in the scoring system in the MP, that's it.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
teisjm said:
Hmmm I'm left wondering:
If a game wants to have balanced gameplay, where one weapon isn't strictly superrior to another, why would they seek advice from real life soldiers, who would, understandably, like nothing more than to have IMBA weapons?

Weapon manufacturers would never ask themselves, if they should notch down the power/usefullness of their new gun, because it makes the AK47 useless in comparision, game developers should (if they have the AK in their game)

Game developers should focus on what makes for good gameplay, not what a military expert considers a precice enough depiction of reality.

I don't care how imbalanced gunships are IRL, they broke BF2, and made many many players play infantry only, strictly to avoid them. (i know this is MW3, not BF3 beeing discussed, but this was a good example)
They're going for 'realism'. These are real weapons/gear, so that's why they're using them.

$5 says that shotguns will have an effective range of five feet in the game, though.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I've seen games in the past and some current ones that work totally fine without the use or even having grenades present within the game and i think it's safe to say MW3 is just re igniting the fire when they say you can self detonate the grenades yourself just seems like a half ass'd approach to multiplayer gaming because i'm sure the majority of us here don't like the idea of remotely detonated grenades flying across the battlefield.

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
Something tells me the grenade launcher won;t be in competitive multiplayer. And if it is... well then Robert Bowling, you're a fucking retard. End of story. Giving quickscoping back to the talentless douchebags is enough.

angry_flashlight

Jul 20, 2010
If this thing is in MP, then CoD can fuck right off. At least with tubes I had a half decent chance of surviving previous tubes by hiding behind something, now even that looks like it's out the window.

I might be getting ahead of myself, so I'm going to wait and see what Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare: Map, Skin, Perk, and Gun pack #4 is going to be like before I drop any cash on it.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Call of Duty: six.

This time we've just thrown in a free aimbot with every purchase. With automated target finding out in todays battlefield we felt it necessary to implement these changes into the digital world.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Not sure, but I think in order to tag an area, you'd have to have direct line of sight with it, so it's not as if they can just fire randomly into your zone with this specific feature without getting in visual range first.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
teisjm said:
Hmmm I'm left wondering:

They're going for 'realism'. These are real weapons/gear, so that's why they're using them.

$5 says that shotguns will have an effective range of five feet in the game, though.
I know they are, or at least pretend to be, just pointing out how realism can conflict with gameplay.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
teisjm said:
Kopikatsu said:
teisjm said:
Hmmm I'm left wondering:

I know they are, or at least pretend to be, just pointing out how realism can conflict with gameplay.
Not necessarily. Operation Flashpoint was extremely heavy on the realism, to the point where you could basically die at any moment without warning to a prone sniper some 500 yards away. (It's bullet traveled faster than the speed of sound, so you die before you even hear the shot) and it was still critically acclaimed/fun.

weirdguy said:
Not sure, but I think in order to tag an area, you'd have to have direct line of sight with it, so it's not as if they can just fire randomly into your zone with this specific feature without getting in visual range first.
Right. The grenade launcher honestly doesn't sound like you're supposed to spam grenades, but it's to force people out of cover to prevent camping or whatever.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I for one am not bothered by these things, if I get annoyed with being hit by these new weapons, then I'll just have to develop a way to counter it. Thats part of the challenge, like hunting campers or pussy snipers, its all just part of shooters and part of the genre as a whole.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
hear that sound? thats all the campers and tubers crying out in joy at the same time

oh well, doesnt really affect me since Im not getting mw3 or bf3