Modern Warfare 3 Adds Folding Scopes and Smart Grenade Launchers

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
More grenade launchers? Hurr this is exactly what the CoD community needs.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Dunno about anyone else but the "news" that comes out for this game is very... erm... anticlimactic, I think is the word I'm looking for.

Seriously, I thought there might be something more to the article than just an explanation of two gun features. Very uninteresting.

caselj01

Jun 8, 2010
Or you could just have ironsights on top of the scope itself and not need another complicated moving part thats liable to jam.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Didn't 3arch did the same with Black Ops, and ended being as run&gun as can be? I don't mean to hate, but the core game won't be changed by features like this in my opinion.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
Meh. I'm not so bothered about the 'improved noobtubing' as I'm getting MW3 for the story and Spec Ops, anyway. I only play multiplayer when I've finished the campaign and Spec Ops.

Oh, and this thread makes me feel like I'm the only one who is aware that CoD has singleplayer.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
I've thought of a great way to stop noobtube hate and everything like it-Call of Duty: Napoleonic Wars!

As for the news itself, seems interesting enough, I'd still like to see what new weapons are in the game seeing as they've effectively used up all the well known guns in MW1 and 2.

Azo Galvat

Mar 3, 2011
Folding scopes? Did... did we really need that? I mean, I can clear a building just fine with a red dot or holographic or Reflex sight or even ACOG. Why does it have to fold now?

And what was wrong with impact grenade launchers? Worked pretty well, I think.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
"If a guy is behind a concrete barrier, you can laser-tag that cover point, fire over it and it will then program the round to explode one meter past it. Anyone hiding behind it will be showered down."
This seems kinda redundant seeing as how everything in the MW universe is already made out of cardboard...

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
5t3v0 said:
Okay, I don't mean to sound like a dick either. What I am trying to get across is the fact that some of the articles about CoD I have seen for the last couple of months seem so trivial and pointless that they sound like they were ripped from a larger article elsewhere.

Again, Sorry If I sound like a dick or anything... This place tends to bring out the worst in me (and others, might I add) but I stick around regardless
Yeah, I go over the top as well, it happens to everyone. I know, it isn't the biggest news as well, they could have probably bundled this in with maybe another article.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
angry_flashlight said:
If this thing is in MP, then CoD can fuck right off. At least with tubes I had a half decent chance of surviving previous tubes by hiding behind something, now even that looks like it's out the window.

I might be getting ahead of myself, so I'm going to wait and see what Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare: Map, Skin, Perk, and Gun pack #4 is going to be like before I drop any cash on it.
lol, pretty much. Most people I know that play CoD, still love CoD4 over any other CoD. They just usually play MW2 or Blops because everyone else does. /shrug.

OP: The folding scope thing will be really cool to have in the campaign, I remember carrying a secondary long range weapon if my primary didn't have a good enough long range scope, just because trying to pick off silhouettes from 200 meters away, is annoying as shit. I doubt it will be available in MP though, having an ACOG scope AND a red dot, seems pretty silly to me. But then again, it could be another perk? We'll see.
As for the smart grenade launcher, it'll take noobs 5 seconds to figure out how to use, and it'll take me 4 seconds to figure out how to counter.
We'll see how well the new noob tubers do when I rush the fuck out of them, and their grenade explodes where I was.

SendMeNoodz84

Jun 11, 2009
TheBear17 said:
SendMeNoodz84 said:
TheBear17 said:
SendMeNoodz84 said:
Interesting...
I'm sure I'll be thinking about how overpowered and cheap the gadgets in Call of Duty while I go to full scale war in Battlefield 3.
and ill be having fun with both games since im not a retarded fan-boy with a stick up his ass like about half the people commenting on this thread.
Hmm...
First off, I understand you're relatively new to these forums, but we don't just go around insulting for no good reason. Grow up.

Secondly, I have my reasons. I've bought every single Call of Duty released. I've played both series up until Black Ops when I realized I was wasting my time with a mediocre game. That is FAR from being a fan boy. I've played both and formed my opinions. And when you say "Half the people on this thread" you're talking about The Escapist crowd. See, here at the Escapist, we consider ourselves intelligent gamers (Just FYI, when I say 'WE' I am definitely excluding you) As intelligent gamers, we have opinions and don't just blindly buy game after game in a franchise that lost all its relativity after it copied and pasted the same game about five times. And that's why you'll find most of us against Call of Duty. And if you think that that means that we all have "Sticks up our asses" you aren't going to make it here much longer.
But you do, so long as its made by valve and you insulted me in your response, add hypocrite to the list of things i just called you. New to the escapist I lurked the forums long enough to know exactly how the community operates as a whole. If intelligence means having an opinion and the ability to whine then yes I suppose their are a lot of intelligent people on this website.
1st. The Valve thing. That is an ENTIRELY different argument, and I didn't mention anything that had to do with Valve, so how did you come to the conclusion that I'm a Valve fan? I'm not, to clear it up for you.

2nd. After I've been called something like "retarded" by someone who I don't know, the tiny shred of common courtesy I had for you disappeared. Especially with something as harsh as that term. It's a term that can be found as offensive not only to the person being targeted, but to an outside viewer. Therefore, I'll call it as it is: You are an immature idiot.

3rd. Your generalization that everyone "Whines" on here really makes me wonder why you're still here. You see, you don't have to be here. You can, and should, leave at anytime. I'm sorry we don't all share our opinions in the way you have: By childishly insulting before asking questions and discussing. That's not how the world works.

Oh, and to support my argument that you're an idiot, it's not 'THERE' it's 'THEIR' when you're talking about the possessive. Now I can tell that I'm either arguing with a child, or a moron. Go ahead, call me a "Grammar Nazi". It'll make you look even more immature and idiotic.

To close up, I don't want to be arguing back and forth with some child on the internet, so just go ahead and make your reply as stupid as the last one, that way I don't even have to bother responding to it.

Croix Sinistre

Oct 25, 2009
Wow, some of you guys are overreacting. For all we know this grenade launcher will be underpowered and underused, for whatever reason.

Look here, if I told you there was going to be a semi-automatic shotgun that can be dual-wielded you probably you shout "overpowered!" and "noob-ish!". Alas such a shotgun exists in black ops and who uses it? no one. What is said on this little article probably won't equate exactly to how it is in game.

The developers aren't stupid, they know there is a hate for noob tubers and campers and that those are major reasons people have quit CoD games in the past, do you really think they are going to make a move to exacerbate this?

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
They wont call it commando, but there will be a perk that will allow you to "commando"someone all the way from the first activision game.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Assuming that the grenade launcher is an unlock fairly late in the game's levelling tier (think, near the top) I don't mind. As far as I'm concerned, everything I'm hearing about MW3 is actually making the game all the more enticing to me. I honestly can't wait to see the reveal at CoD XP.