Modern Warfare 3 Adds Folding Scopes and Smart Grenade Launchers

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
Not necessarily. Operation Flashpoint was extremely heavy on the realism, to the point where you could basically die at any moment without warning to a prone sniper some 500 yards away. (It's bullet traveled faster than the speed of sound, so you die before you even hear the shot) and it was still critically acclaimed/fun.

Really... you're comparing CoD to OFP. They are totally different types of FPS. CoD is a very deathmatch styled action FPS while OFP is more of a combat simulation FPS. Just because shit worked in OFP, doesn't mean it'll work in CoD.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
qwerty19411 said:
James Crook said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
-HERR SNIP-
Modern Warfare 3 to Support Dedicated Servers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112374-Modern-Warfare-3-to-Support-Dedicated-Servers]

I hope this article is true. Dealing with cheaters on dedicated servers is infinetly better than waiting for VAC to ban the cheaters from IWnet (what a fucking joke that was).
3arc was also a fucking joke :(
I hope that at least the Theatre Mode can properly render videos (in HD)

CthulhuMessiah

Apr 28, 2011
Because upgrading the grenade launcher won't bring ANY hate. Why not just go and make an infinite, fully auto, 8000 rounds per minute, bottomless clip, nuclear grenade launcher?

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/infantry/grenade/40mm_ammo.html

A list of the kill range and casualty range of the most commonly used grenade launchers. Compared to its real life counterpart the "noob tube" is a watered down piece of shit. Besides in my experience the people who cry noob most often are usually the ones that need to improve their game.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
martin said:
With all that Origin BS, this is actually becoming more promising than Battlefield 3.

As long as the game is compatible or even available on Steam, I'm thinking it'll be better.
What digital distribution platform a game is on > The actual game, in terms of if it's a quality game or not.

Just...flawless logic at it's best. High five!

OT: Why is everyone saying they're waiting to release the big changes to the game at that event? These are the big changes, people are just in denial, because they have no proof, they aren't buying DLC/xpacks for $60 a year now.

SendMeNoodz84

Jun 11, 2009
TheBear17 said:
SendMeNoodz84 said:
Interesting...
I'm sure I'll be thinking about how overpowered and cheap the gadgets in Call of Duty while I go to full scale war in Battlefield 3.
and ill be having fun with both games since im not a retarded fan-boy with a stick up his ass like about half the people commenting on this thread.
Hmm...
First off, I understand you're relatively new to these forums, but we don't just go around insulting for no good reason. Grow up.

Secondly, I have my reasons. I've bought every single Call of Duty released. I've played both series up until Black Ops when I realized I was wasting my time with a mediocre game. That is FAR from being a fan boy. I've played both and formed my opinions. And when you say "Half the people on this thread" you're talking about The Escapist crowd. See, here at the Escapist, we consider ourselves intelligent gamers (Just FYI, when I say 'WE' I am definitely excluding you) As intelligent gamers, we have opinions and don't just blindly buy game after game in a franchise that lost all its relativity after it copied and pasted the same game about five times. And that's why you'll find most of us against Call of Duty. And if you think that that means that we all have "Sticks up our asses" you aren't going to make it here much longer.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
martin said:
With all that Origin BS, this is actually becoming more promising than Battlefield 3.

As long as the game is compatible or even available on Steam, I'm thinking it'll be better.
What digital distribution platform a game is on > The actual game, in terms of if it's a quality game or not.

Just...flawless logic at it's best. High five!

Yes, I agree. It's perfectly reasonable for me to lose interest in a game because of absurd hoops I should have to go through in order to play it.

If these things are necessary to play the game, they definitely factor into what my impression of the game will be, and I would imagine that would be the same for reviewers.

If there isn't any way I can separate this silly function from the game, then there is no way I'm separating them from my opinion of it.

Now of course, this isn't the only issue, it's just one of a few.

The lack of In-game server browsers, and the lack of company produced mod tools which will severely delay any good mods, if they come at all being two things that are off-putting for me.

Thanks for being so smug, you seem like a really cool guy.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Who hides beneath chest- high walls anyways? Unless you are crouching or hugging a corner (and didn't they take out lean), the XM-25 isn't going to be that useful against players in cover.

I'm guessing they'll just build some contrived, laughable SP level around it.

Kenny Kondom

Oct 8, 2009
OK...

I'd like to see more of the release details. This on it's own looks like it's a nice little novelty for players, but nothing more for me. I'm gonna have to borrow a copy and try the mechanics of both the single player and the multiplayer, because if one OR the other is weak, i wont bother getting it.

And dont get me wrong, I've bought all the CoD's since number 2 (personally, my favorite... shame my disc broke ='[ ) and I've only recently been put off by BO's single player. But that was more of the fault of the storyline.

And even though MW2's story was farfecthed, it had re-occuring charaters (the one who DIDNT bloody die!) that I MYSELF have played as (Soap) and I've grown an affiliation. BO's just had an overly aggressive man's man main character, and I was only dissapointed with ...

SPOILER

Bowman and Wood's deaths, because they seemed like true freinds.

Where was i going with this.... Hmm...

Anyway, not holding my breath for this next CoD. It is starting to FEEL same-y. [May NOT be same-y in terms of mechanics, features ect, but cerainly feels like it is]

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
The game Soldier of Fortune 2 had a smart grenade launcher attached to the OICW weapon, so it's been done before.

However, I don't think anyone actually USED that smart grenade launcher in SoF2 because it was a pain in the ass to set the distance properly, and it wouldn't let you fire unless you did that. I'm sure that type of thing is useful in real combat, but the speed of multiplayer FPS combat doesn't fit well with that kind of thing.

THEoriginalBRIEN

Aug 23, 2010
I don't know what's worse - the fact that it took three Modern Warfare games for Infinity Ward to think of a removable scope, or the endless hordes of self-proclaimed "shooter fans" whining about "noob-tubers" and cheap weapons.

If you're playing Black Ops, it's called FLAK JACKET ************.

And if MW3 doesn't have one, well, you know you could always put a grenade launcher on your rifle too. I can hardly think of a reason not to.

Apr 29, 2010
dogstile said:
Que everyone complaining about the new grenade launcher...
Why complain when you can just not buy the game? Or learn the grenade launcher's weakness and exploit it? That's my opinion.

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
C95J said:
5t3v0 said:
well the way I see it is this:

why does the escapist post a news article everytime Infinity ward takes a crap?

Seriously speaking, on a large-ish sized news site like this one, If its in the interest of speed, it just looks dumb. CoD news article after CoD news article after Cod News article of crap that seems almost barely relevant and could honestly fit in a bigger article about the weapons that are confirmed or something.

Is the financial situation really that bad that they have to jump on every single piece of news?
It's no where near CoD news article after CoD news article after Cod News article as you describe it. Stop making stuff up, I've seen loads more articles about Skyrim, do you complain about that as well?

Anyway, this is a gaming news website, they post they post news about every game! It's not like you could have just, oh I dunno, not clicked on the article or anything. But obviously the article did interest you in some way or another otherwise I don't see the need in clicking on it and browsing through the comments.

Anyway, the fact they post news articles about CoD has NO relevance to what I was saying, and there is no justification for people jumping ahead of the gun, like I said in my first post, and hating on CoD, simply because it is CoD.

The way I see it:

-Person hates CoD, notices a news article about it, clicks it anyway.

-Reads information, suddenly comes to the conclusion somehow that folding Scopes and Smart Grenade Launchers are the only new feature of the game.

-Complains about this for no reason, making themselves look like an idiot.

I may sound like a complete twat right now, but I'm just sticking up for the game, from unjustified hate. It also may look like I don't like Skyrim right about now, just to clarify, Skyrim looks fucking amazing.
Okay, I don't mean to sound like a dick either. What I am trying to get across is the fact that some of the articles about CoD I have seen for the last couple of months seem so trivial and pointless that they sound like they were ripped from a larger article elsewhere.

Again, Sorry If I sound like a dick or anything... This place tends to bring out the worst in me (and others, might I add) but I stick around regardless

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
The folding scope sounds great, even if it's a tad late, but another noobtube, and they've buffed it? The odds of my buying this game shrink as we speak.