Modern Warfare 3 Beats Avatar's Fastest-Selling Record

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
Korten12 said:
From Elite's site it says:

"More Content than Ever, with 20 Pieces of New MW3 DLC,
New monthly DLC released over 9 months, so you Always have Something New to Play
More Variety than Ever, with New MP Maps, Spec Ops, Missions, Game Modes & More"
So that's a no then. 20 New pieces of DLC over the 9 month period could just mean 20 new MP maps.
No, a piece doesn't = 1. for example, the first dlc pack, a piece of dlc. Piece = a DLC Pack =/= 1.

ShockValue

Addicted to coffee
May 8, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
ShockValue said:
"More Content than Ever, with 20 Pieces of New MW3 DLC
New monthly DLC released over 9 months, so you Always have Something New to Play
More Variety than Ever, with New MP Maps, Spec Ops, Missions, Game Modes & More"

Taken from http://www.callofduty.com/elite/whats-included.html

Not exactly sure what they plan to even charge for them this time so I don't really now how much you may save with Elite if you plan on getting them all anyway :p
I love how unspecific that all is. Except how much (I think) they charge you up front which is the price of a brand new game.
Well I don't think they have listed anything specific yet, well to my knowledge. The only thing I could find >.<

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
So a mediocre game outsells a mediocre film.

Yeah I said it, Avatar's ok. It's not the greatest film ever.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Korten12 said:
CardinalPiggles said:
So that's a no then. 20 New pieces of DLC over the 9 month period could just mean 20 new MP maps.
No, a piece doesn't = 1. for example, the first dlc pack, a piece of dlc. Piece = a DLC Pack =/= 1.
I asked if there was anything specific... '20 pieces of DLC' is not specific, it's a throwing a relatively big number in there to entice people to buy it. I know 1 piece of DLC probably won't be 1 extra map, I was again trying to make a point, which you again disregarded.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Maybe they could use this money to actually IMPROVE Call of Duty instead of continually making it worse and worse. C'mon Activision! Make another game like CoD3 but with better graphics and a bigger campaign! PLEEEEAAAASSE!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Coldster said:
Maybe they could use this money to actually IMPROVE Call of Duty instead of continually making it worse and worse. C'mon Activision! Make another game like CoD3 but with better graphics and a bigger campaign! PLEEEEAAAASSE!
They actually did improve CoD in my opinion and better graphics could lose the 60 fps, hate how people lately are expressing their opinions not as opinions but as fact.

Edible Avatar

Oct 26, 2011
Kahunaburger said:
Huh. Moral of the story is apparently that James Cameron should re-release Avatar every year with slightly better CGI.
George Lucas and Steven Spielberg already do that. Its called a "REMASTERED EDITION", and appearently the masses love that too.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Korten12 said:
Coldster said:
They actually did improve CoD in my opinion and better graphics could lose the 60 fps, hate how people lately are expressing their opinions not as opinions but as fact.
Better graphics does not make a better game. It makes a nicer looking game. I dislike it very much when people express that as a fact.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Coldster said:
Korten12 said:
Coldster said:
Better graphics does not make a better game. It makes a nicer looking game. I dislike it very much when people express that as a fact.
Your response makes no sense at all. I stated that better graphics (which you said you wanted in your original post) would lose the 60 fps. Never did I sate graphics make for a better game.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Sixcess said:
Anyone else see the irony in singleplayer games going subscription based while MMOs drop that model?

COD is about 99% multiplayer-based. 30-40% don't even play the single player part.
Actually 30-40% of CoD players never touch multiplayer [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/03/call-of-duty-black-ops-multiplayer-takes-aim-at-cheaters/], not single player.

I agree that there's no question that CoD is MP-focus, but people neglect silent millions of players of this franchise - several of which I know personally - who only play the campaign, spec ops, zombies, and offline co-op modes.

If Treyarch's statement is accurate, CoD has more players who don't play MP than almost all other franchises have players, period.

DiabloBub666

Aug 1, 2010
At the same time, a new copy of Call of Duty costs at least 3 times as much as a movie ticket to Avatar did... there's still a gargantuan divide among the people who like Call of Duty and the people who don't... it's not considered to be a universally accepted work... people who don't like Star Wars at least admit that they're outnumbered a hundred to one and can see WHY it's considered such a masterpiece... when Call of Duty makes 4 billion dollars, THAT'S when I'll consider comparing it to Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, whatev.

Seriously, CoD vs Lord of the Rings. How DARE they.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
DiabloBub666 said:
At the same time, a new copy of Call of Duty costs at least 3 times as much as a movie ticket to Avatar did... there's still a gargantuan divide among the people who like Call of Duty and the people who don't... it's not considered to be a universally accepted work... people who don't like Star Wars at least admit that they're outnumbered a hundred to one and can see WHY it's considered such a masterpiece... when Call of Duty makes 4 billion dollars, THAT'S when I'll consider comparing it to Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, whatev.

Seriously, CoD vs Lord of the Rings. How DARE they.
Well CoD MW2/3 and blood have made a billion so they're only 1 billion off.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Korten12 said:
Coldster said:
Korten12 said:
Coldster said:
Your response makes no sense at all. I stated that better graphics (which you said you wanted in your original post) would lose the 60 fps. Never did I sate graphics make for a better game.
Ah, I see. Your post seemed to be very confusing. Now then, I think CoD has been getting worse after its peak at CoD4 for the following reasons:

1. Gave up on good story-telling:
CoD2 and CoD3 were games used to show the events of WWII through a few different soldiers perspectives. Nothing too creative, but very accurate and thought through. It was exciting, engaging, and compelling. CoD4 completely blew everyone away with a completely fictional storyline that always kept you motivated and wanting more. Every mission had an important role in the overall story and it kept building suspense and character development without faltering. CoD4 also ended on an open, but semi-closed event that could be interpreted in many ways but could still be available for a sequel. MW2 and MW3 just took everything CoD4 had and tried putting it in new setting and new stories. However nothing ever turns out well when you do that. Both MW2 and MW3 try to recreate a similar story to CoD4 rather than building on it to make it more epic. It failed twice and hopefully they have learned their lesson.

2. Taking out the feeling.

I don't know why, but Infinity Ward decided it would be a good idea to decrease the emotional parts of CoD to almost nothing. This is partially the result of poor character and story development but is also because all they ever did was make a super serious mission with a failed "shock and awe" moment at the end of each one. Now, unless that shock and awe moment keeps getting increasing creative and more suspenseful (like if it kept making the situation worse and worse), that could work extremely well. But every single god damn time they fail to exploit a potentially "moving" scene over and over again! With the exceptions of the ending of both MW2 and MW3. Look back at CoD3 for a minute. It has humour, it sticks with the same group of people who have tons of interactions and dialogue between each over. When
Sgt. Macullen dies on the bridge diffusing the bombs, you feel sad that he dies but also happy because he completed the objective and went out just the way he wanted to. Same thing with Dixon when he gets wounded. The squad stays there as long as possible to defend him while he gets help but its just not enough and you fall back without being able to say goodbye or anything. It strikes an emotional nerve in a good way. Note also how I can remember those scene perfectly, that tells you something.
Black Ops (at least for me) does a neat example of storytelling by making you rush through the campaign event after event keeping you on your toes and not really understanding what is going on or why these memories of Mason's are important. Then at the very end...
It all comes together and makes sense when Hudson tells you exactly what happened.

3. They lost motivation and didn't put in nearly as much effort.

This one is a biggie. It consists of all the little things you take for granted in good games. Humour is one of them. Another is music, and the last one I want to discuss is innovation. The humour is CoD has obviously never been a big thing. As it should be, since its dealing with a mature subject of war. However its always been there in amounts that have been juuuust right. Take CoD3 for example (again). Watch this video of the beginning and spot the funny moments (starting at around 1:25 and ending at about 6:30. I don't what is wrong with this guy's game but its really hard to hear some of the dialogue, so please just read the subtitles.
The training camp is full of pleasurable moments where you get comfortable with your surrounding and the characters around you. What about in CoD4? Gaz and Captain Price do a decent job of showing some character. Gaz and Captain Price continue to also continue to have really creative and friendly dialogue even in times of desperation:
Captain Price: "Gaz, can you get the door to open any faster?"
Gaz: "No sir, but you can try pulling if you like".
Captain Price: [small]"Cheeky bastard"[/small]
^ That right there is what we need more of. Now on to music. CoD3 and CoD2 had some pretty epic soundtracks while CoD4 had some rad rock with a mix of other stuff. Then MW2 and MW3 just keeps going on with only hardcore modern rock. Not a bad choice, but some variety would be nice. Again, I'm going to use CoD3 as my example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv0bF_Apuwk&feature=youtu.be&t=1m50s

Over the excessive amount of shouting (without repetition I might add), this part of the mission truly has the most epic ending to any game I have ever played. The music is better than perfect. It is beyond what words could be used to describe it. The master of masterpieces.

EDIT: Fixed.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Meh. China makes more money than America, but their people aren't necessarily as happy as us.

I really hope that's accurate, because even to me, it sounds uninformed and naive.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Dendio said:
How are they making so much? Witcher 2 had 5 million illegal downloads. What is activision doing to prevent pirating of modern warfare 3? Whatever it is, others need to follow.
Like I stated in other threads before, give me proof that I can believe those 4.5 million "illegal downloads" or just don't bring that up.

There is no way to correctly estimate piracy numbers. If those numbers were actually to be trusted, then there is a large percentage of people fiddling with their xboxes and PS3 to play those billions of "downloads".

Inb4 Call of Duty Defence Force

Tin Man said:
OT: Good for cod.
Exactly. Unless you are actually profiting from a game's success there is no reason to be hyped.

I saw this on another site, the comments were basically "wow, 1 billion people! That means the next cod will be even better!".

Tin Man said:
This is actually great for gaming,
Wha? It's just sales figures, it's like saying Avatar was good for the 3D cinema market.

(gave profits to theatres, still didn't have any influence on how other 3D movies were made)

Tin Man said:
the vast majority of the userbase for a game like cod would never touch games like Okami anyway
Exactly. I just don't understand why everyone says that games don't have to be "artsy" as an excuse. I don't like "artsy" games anyway. That doesn't excuse Activision for creating a monster that even my once favourite franchise (Battlefield) had the nerve to sink to their level.

Tin Man said:
but if more people get into gaming, then maybe those people might pick the habit up proper.
One of the best things about games is that unlike TV or music, I did not have to pick my favourite stuff from a sea of shovelware.

Now you made me sad.

marfin_

Mar 14, 2011
I usually don't like CoD games, but I hope they kicked Battlefield's *** in sales for not being on steam! lol