Modern Warfare 3 Beats Avatar's Fastest-Selling Record

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Dendio said:
How are they making so much? Witcher 2 had 5 million illegal downloads. What is activision doing to prevent pirating of modern warfare 3? Whatever it is, others need to follow.
They are doing nothing.

Because Piracy doesn't impact actual sales.

The PC gaming industry has broken records for 30 or so years now. It has had piracy for 30 or so years now also.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
theultimateend said:
Dendio said:
How are they making so much? Witcher 2 had 5 million illegal downloads. What is activision doing to prevent pirating of modern warfare 3? Whatever it is, others need to follow.
They are doing nothing.

The PC gaming industry has broken records for 30 or so years now. It has had piracy for 30 or so years now also.
Actually I wonder if they really do nothing. Black Ops was pirated over 11 million times and god knows how many times MW3 was pirated. I wonder if they actually care or if that many people legit wanted to play the game without paying. *shrugs*

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Coldster said:
theultimateend said:
Dendio said:
They are doing nothing.

Actually I wonder if they really do nothing. Black Ops was pirated over 11 million times and god knows how many times MW3 was pirated. I wonder if they actually care or if that many people legit wanted to play the game without paying. *shrugs*
I personally don't pirate (not a moral thing, I just have money now, as a kid it was a different story) but I just can't see the harm in it.

I get the emotional angst of people getting something for free, I get the entire premise that it could harm sales...but I never see data supporting this.

The best I can tell is that moderately good games that don't go niche end up selling phenomenally well, good games that DO go niche don't sell quite as well but do alright, and then shit games either do well with massive marketing budgets or do poorly.

The latter 2 cases always blame piracy. I'm willing to bet it is because investors won't invest in a company that admits it pumped out a shoddy product.

I usually refrain from buying anything from companies that openly complain about piracy, since they tend to be the ones putting out the worst games (relative to other options of the same time period).

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Ah well. The biggest entertainment thing ever will have the most haters ever. I think now that the trilogy's done it'll start a bit of a decline now. Most certainly not to the levels the haters would want but as more and more games of it come out the fanboys will inevitably turn on the franchise.

"Oh, Modern Warfare (#) was the best. This one sucks and is the worst thing ever despite how similar it is to my favorite!"

It happened with Halo and that had a launch cycle of one every 3 years.

Jinxey

Nov 10, 2008
Stemer said:
Guys this is great.
You know how extra credits and the rest of the games are art bunch keep talking about gaming being accepted as a medium and what have you.
This is that moment, the day games truly give films a serious run for there money and out compete them.
Seriously guys captain price is our generations Rambo.
This -

The problem is a lot of the games are art snobs this site attracts can't accept the COD is the game that is going to do it. Sooooo they rage and call it a horrible game when it's a pretty solid game all around.

Freethinker101

Sep 19, 2010
Even though MW3 did get this much attention and money, it still is the same as MW2, the only real reason why people got it was because of its predecessor.

ninetails593

Nov 18, 2009
Freethinker101 said:
Even though MW3 did get this much attention and money, it still is the same as MW2, the only real reason why people got it was because of its predecessor.
"MW2 IS CRAP! HOW'D IT SELL SO WELL?!? MUST HAVE BEEN THE FAME FROM THE ORIGINAL"
"MW3 IS CRAP! HOW'D IT SELL SO WELL?!? MUST HAVE BEEN THE FAME FROM MW2"

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
Why CoD? Why not Portal 2 or some other much more enjoyable game?
But still, it's a great day for gaming.

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
Korten12 said:
CardinalPiggles said:
I still can't believe people are paying for what is just bungie.net just to get a slight discount for that over priced DLC, it's still not fucking worth it is it? One million people in the world took an arrow to the knee

Anyway, I enjoy CoD too, but to place it on such a high pedestal because of sales figures... it just proves what is wrong with these people.
Um... Elite is mostly free, and you don't get a discount, you get it for FREE. Geez if you're going to insult it, at least get your facts straight.
Enlighten me, how much DLC do you get for FREE when you pay for a years worth of Elite. 4-5 packs? costing $15 each? equalling to $60-$80? Still over priced for the 'content' if you ask me.

I may be completely wrong here, but do tell me.
There will be nine pieces of DLC one every month for the 9 months of DLC season as they seem to be calling it they have already said that the total price of separately buying all the DLC would be more expensive than paying for Elite.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
I was originally going to type some snarky comment, but after reading the entire thread, I'm incredibly confuzzled. Oh well, going back to moar Skyrim..

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
doggie015 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Huh. Moral of the story is apparently that James Cameron should re-release Avatar every year with slightly better CGI.
WRONG! If you actually PLAY the damn games you will see quite clearly that MW3 actually has a DIFFERENT storyline to the other 2 MW games (Both of which also have radically different storylines!).
Modern Warfare 2 had a storyline? I must have been too busy Oscar Miking Burgertowns to notice.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
doggie015 said:
Kahunaburger said:
doggie015 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Huh. Moral of the story is apparently that James Cameron should re-release Avatar every year with slightly better CGI.
WRONG! If you actually PLAY the damn games you will see quite clearly that MW3 actually has a DIFFERENT storyline to the other 2 MW games (Both of which also have radically different storylines!).
Modern Warfare 2 had a storyline? I must have been too busy Oscar Miking Burgertowns to notice.
You obviously haven't been playing the game much otherwise you would know that that particular mission is near the middle of the game and that only happens once.
Yeah, there was that awesome ski jump scene. And some hilarious fake Russian accents. I guess the hilarious fake Russian accents must have somehow been related to this mythical "story" you speak of. Most of my MW2 memories have to do with commando lunges and akimbo G18s.