Modern Warfare 3 Blows Up Single Day Sales Record

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Abedeus said:
Traun said:
Abedeus said:
But... why? Why do people keep buying the same game with slightly different setting and slight changes in multiplayer that in the old days would've been enough for a patch or expansion pack?

I just... don't get it..
What are you talking about? Long ago we used to released map packs as sequels. Doom 2 was Doom with one reskined enemies, a few new ones, no new weapons, no new gameplay elements and a lot of new maps.

Heretic:Shadow of the Serpant Raiders(alright that was an expansion) was a map pack, it didn't even had the decency to put in some new enemies.

Megaman - the whole series is just one shooty platformer after another shooty platformer.

The current Street Fighters DLC contains as much new stuff as all the Street Fighter II --Insert whatever here --.

I'm not saying things are ideal now, but back in the day the Heroes 3 exp. didn't gave that much stuff.
You didn't pay $60 for expansion packs.

Also, different times. Doom didn't even have a story, that's like saying Serious Sam 2 is not worth buying because it has no story. Or at least one you are interested in.
I remember paying full price for Doom 2 and MegaMan games. It wasn't just story, Doom 2 didn't had anything new in the weapon or gameplay department. It was just more maps with some new enemies.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
GameMaNiAC said:
It doesn't feel the same.
It felt the same to me. My brother got it, and I thought, "Wow... this is Modern Warfare 2."

In my opinion, it really is just Modern Warfare 2.5.

MrA

Jul 26, 2009
And I don't care. Because I cancelled my pre order. I objected with my wallet. That's all that matters, the part I played. Sure i'd like to play this game, I'm no modern warfare hater, in fact I thoroughly enjoy their pathetically short campaigns and dossing about in multiplayer. I'll just buy it second hand!

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Abedeus said:
But... why? Why do people keep buying the same game with slightly different setting and slight changes in multiplayer that in the old days would've been enough for a patch or expansion pack?

I just... don't get it..
Don't insult expansion packs like that! The Shivering Isles had way more new content than MW3 does.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
...and just when I thought some faith in humanity had been restored...

Ahh well, if the game industry's going to be the king of entertainment, it's gotta start having equals to TVs X-Factor and the music industries Justin Bieber...

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Waaghpowa said:
Is anyone really surprised?
Hah, do you make all of your posts rhetorical questions that are easily answered by your avatar? If so, my amazement would be complete.

Redout9122

Jul 8, 2011
GoddyofAus said:
How EA thought they could stand up to this is just beyond me.
A better question is why is EA trying to be Volition circa 2006?

Saints Row started off as a cheap GTA knockoff. Now it's a proper complement to GTA in its own right. Where GTA was crazy and silly and has slowly drifted towards very pragmatic visions of the world, Saints Row has gotten progressively goofier.

Saints Row 2 I think has been the pinnacle of that and Saints Row 3 is just too silly, but basically the EA people need to differentiate BF games from CoD games, or else they'll be playing second fiddle to the end of time.

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
qwerty19411 said:
Imper1um said:
One thing of note: Sales didn't get better; MW2 sold 7 million on day 1 and MW3 sold 6.5 million on day 1.

The only reason that it got more money is, in order to play, you had to purchase the $60 and the $10 subscription fee. Higher price point.

I look forward to next year's iteration. Lower sales and lower $$ income.
There's a required subscription?

Or are you out in left field picking grass instead of watching the game?
I pick the grass with SMAWs and Tanks.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Traun said:
Abedeus said:
Traun said:
Abedeus said:

I just... don't get it..
What are you talking about? Long ago we used to released map packs as sequels. Doom 2 was Doom with one reskined enemies, a few new ones, no new weapons, no new gameplay elements and a lot of new maps.

Heretic:Shadow of the Serpant Raiders(alright that was an expansion) was a map pack, it didn't even had the decency to put in some new enemies.

Megaman - the whole series is just one shooty platformer after another shooty platformer.

The current Street Fighters DLC contains as much new stuff as all the Street Fighter II --Insert whatever here --.

I'm not saying things are ideal now, but back in the day the Heroes 3 exp. didn't gave that much stuff.
You didn't pay $60 for expansion packs.

Also, different times. Doom didn't even have a story, that's like saying Serious Sam 2 is not worth buying because it has no story. Or at least one you are interested in.
I remember paying full price for Doom 2 and MegaMan games. It wasn't just story, Doom 2 didn't had anything new in the weapon or gameplay department. It was just more maps with some new enemies.
I remember paying 2/3 or 3/4 for Neverwinter Nights expansions. Both offering longer and better single player, and adding a lot of content that mods at that time couldn't add (prestige and special classes), and I didn't pay as much for Lord of Destruction as for Diablo 2, and it added a lot of balancing changes, runewords, uniques, entire new class of items (elite), two classes, new act and a new resolution.

Nowadays, people are ready to pay $60 for another 4 hour story and balance changes that could be done with a simple patch. And if in today's world the developers CAN'T balance the game with patches and MUST release new game instead, that's just greed.

And stop bringing up fucking Megaman, there weren't nearly as many patches for console games as today... hell, I'm not sure there were any patches or DLC or expansion packs till the late 90s, and only on PC.