Modern Warfare 3 Domain Used to Promote Battlefield 3

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Caliostro said:
You're assuming they care about making more money than someone else, when in fact I'd say their goal is entirely self-centered.
SNIP
If this gets them more views, more publicity, more attention, and it will, they win.
I'm not assuming anything.

My only point is this: If EA want to start throwing mud at Activision they would be better to be in a position to do so first, as right now they're going to look stupid when COD outsells BF3.

It's like walking up to the hulking schoolyard bully and provoking him, only to have him laugh in your face and crush you with one hand and humiliate you in front of everyone you were talking shit about him to.

Even Robert Bowling had more class in this instance - saying both games would be great but different, which incidentally, is how I also feel.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
I'm not assuming anything.

My only point is this: If EA want to start throwing mud at Activision they would be better to be in a position to do so first, as right now they're going to look stupid when COD outsells BF3.

It's like walking up to the hulking schoolyard bully and provoking him, only to have him laugh in your face and crush you with one hand and humiliate you in front of everyone you were talking shit about him to.

Even Robert Bowling had more class in this instance - saying both games would be great but different, which incidentally, is how I also feel.
You're missing the point.

They're not "slinging mud" at Activision so they're seen as superior. They're not the kids fighting in the yard to see who is more popular. EA is slinging shit to get attention. And it's getting it. It's like a rich guy talking shit about some richer guy so he gets on the news. He doesn't plan on suddenly becoming richer than that guy. He doesn't care about that guy. He cares about getting a little richer himself, because of the publicity the whole thing created.

As far as this goes, this is genius. Not only are they stealing their competitor's domain, indirectly both redirecting some of their "bigger fame" towards themselves, but they're also denying them the brand named / brand recognized websites, denying the competition that extra bit of marketing advantage, and creating controversy that gets them more publicity. It's win - win - win.

Whether CoD...whatever they're at sells 1 million or 1 billion is irrelevant to them. All it matters is that this is helping EA sell more. That's all.

You're right, it's not classy. It's about as dirty, amoral, "bellow the belt" as you can while staying perfectly legal. But it's smart.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
A game is only great if it gets support.

Infinity ward rarely patches their games, is way too slow to get rid of hackers, and downright doesn't give a toss when it comes to game balance.

Ergo, the IW side of CoD are not serious games.
Sure they're fun, sure they sell like hotcakes, but then SO DID ANGRY BIRDS.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
pspman45 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
EA won't be laughing when MW3 outsells Battlefield by 10 to 1.

Focus on getting us 60FPS on consoles instead of taking the piss out of a game that kicked your ass last year.
I agree, If the only 2 buttons i will have to push are Aim and Shoot, then the aiming and shooting had better look pretty!
Why do people equate 60 frames per second to looking pretty? It will make it look ever so slightly smoother. It's still on the 10 year old ugly ass engine.

Meaning...your one expectation has been failed to be met by MW3. Also, nice triple post. The Edit button is your friend.

Ariseishirou said:
Hammeroj said:
Hey, if this is your way of discourse, I'd rather you not play the game at all.

You did ignore that part of my post, or at least failed to refute it, and it does not take more than half a brain to realise it.
No, I didn't. Yes, given they are a tiny portion of the community, they could well still be a representative sample as far as I know. Indeed, that's how sampling works. Taking a small portion of a group to extrapolate about the larger group in general. You failed to refute my point from the outset, and have resorted to childish insults ("anyone with half a brain", etc.) and the shitflinging I've basically come to expect from the BF3 forum fanboys these days.

Would you consider yourself a representative member of the BF3 online community? If so, I might even skip out on the rent.

More money for the prestige edition of MW3 ;3
And this is the part where you showed you had no intention of getting BF3 ever and were just trying to insight the other guy and troll. You did a fairly good job, if not a bit of an obvious give-away there at the end.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
That's a pretty massive oversight on Activision's part. Most companies will buy up a butt load of domains even if there's only a tiny chance they'll ever be used. You'd think if you made TWO PREVIOUS GAMES you would have the foresight to register all the way up to 10.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Jegsimmons said:
first off, P0W3ND!!!! take that MW3!!!

second off, hey if the domain is not taken at the time it's fair game, unfortunately with domain names and registration it doesn't matter if it is YOUR NAME being used and you dont own it. This is something ive learn setting up my website. if i dont pay for my domain name when time is up (or pay before hand) then i could straight up loose that domain name. so quite frankly...sucks for activision.
There's two things to note here.

1) Whoever owns the domain is obviously doing it to infringe on Activision's trademark. They are taking a name of Activision's video game product, and using it to link to a competitor's product. The rules on how domain names are bought and sold don't play into that fact... it's trademark infringement by law. It does not matter if you legally own the object infringing the trademark; you're still infringing the trademark.

2) This is a textbook case of cybersquatting. The owner of the domain is doing it, explicitly, to steal MW3's thunder. This isn't an outside case that the law has trouble with... this is the central case that the law describes very thuroughly. In this, the ACPA act is pretty clear, and Activision is in an actionable position.

They go after Domains-by-Proxy, as the registered owners of the domain. Given the seriousness of the trademark infringement, and the fact DbP has absolutely no recourse to claim 'fair-use' in this, do you honestly think that Activision won't have the 'real owner' by the balls? Do you honestly think that DbP is going to keep their client secret?

DbP doesn't have a tenable legal position in this, and Activision has way more legal clout. And... because of trademark law, they have no choice BUT to use it.

There's no WAY EA is responsible for this. Obvious consequences are obvious.

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
If it was EA, they should have made it a parody like Duty calls for bulletstorm. It should have the same message pasted all over the site, and the pre order links (that say: Click here to preorder the best game ever!) just redirect to BF3.

Don't forget about the frequent references to the fact that CoD never changes.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
lunncal said:
Hah, I don't get what problem people have with advertising tactics like this. I find them pretty damn amusing myself. Yeah it's petty and antagonistic... but so what? It gave me a laugh, and if I were interested in purchasing either game I would be slightly more inclined to buy Battlefield 3 due to this little joke.
This. If EA is behind this then i gotta tip my hat to them cause it is brilliant.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Wow, Battlefield and CoD are taking this whole best-FPS-game business too seriously. But I'm guessing it was a fan who bought the domain. it's as if I decide to buy modernwarfare4.com right now. In fact, I might have just unleashed hell by saying that.
Great advertizement for both games, nonetheless.
I almost feel the need to go check out modernwarfare3.com
._ .

Fenn

Jan 13, 2010
Despite EA's "ill advised" marketing ploys, if they were behind this that would be absolutely hilarious and clever at the same time.

Cory Rydell

Feb 4, 2010
Hammeroj said:
Cory Rydell said:
If you equate this to smear campaigns in politics, this is the equivalent of someone running a smear campaign against George W. Bush.
Meh, didn't Obama refrain from doing any smear tactics because it would say something bad about his overall character or is that just from an episode of Cracked TV? Regardless just because he was republican (and a fairly bad president but overall mostly likeable guy) doesn't mean he deserves smearification. We, as a race, should succeed upon merit, not dirty tricks. Maybe I'm taking a far too stick-up-assed humanistic approach to this and thats cool. I never really liked BF and Im kinda done with COD too so my opinion doesnt matter a ton here...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Whether or not it's a marketing scam, seems a bit childish but still funny.
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
In the first sentence you say that 'regardless of whether or not EA was behind this' but in the last paragraph you say that 'forum dwellers here are so quick to allow EA.' Might as well just say 'the Battlefield fanboys seem to be missing a crucial fact.'

And to be fair Battlefield 3 still stands on it's own merits. Vehicle Warfare and Destructible Environments are being promoted just as much as the 'CoD' side of it.
[sub]I also wouldn't be so sure that MW3 is going to smash apart BF3. My die-hard CoD friends are all hyped about Battlefield 3. They're the typical-teenage gamer and I'm sure they're not the only ones among millions.[/sub]

Cory Rydell

Feb 4, 2010
Hammeroj said:
things that were said.
Oh yea, don't get me wrong, I hated the guy too. I even said he was a bad president in my snip. I guess I'm more around a lot democrats who don't pay attention to why they're democrats and I was just making sure you weren't just name dropping Bush because Bush-hatin is popular. But the entire political fiasco that was his term and his 2004 reelection is a different topic entirely.

I was just saying I'm not a fan of using little tactics like this site to get ahead and trick people. But people seemed to learn that Bush(/republicans maybe?) was no longer the right choice for the country when a stand up dude (again I'm not entirely sure he didn't do any smearing) like Obama came into the running. Not some John-Kerry-snowboarding-whatsafussit.

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
I've played both series pretty equally in my lifetime and I've enjoyed them both, still do to this day. But if I could go back in time I'd kill the creators of both of them before they were even thought up. The constant, petty, back and forth bitching over which "cluster of pixels with a logo slapped on" is better makes me embarrassed to share the same hobby as them. CoD and Battlefield are big boys, they don't need defending nor do they care if you do.

I'd sooner replace the MW3 vs BF3 crowd with a legion of Bronies. Much more mature and extremely less irritating.

Illithidae

Oct 19, 2010
Funnily enough, I can't seem to access www.modernwarfare3.com.
Don't know if it's the same for anyone else, though.