Modern Warfare 3 gameplay - Anything new?

Borntolose

Aug 18, 2008
DLC?! Nothing new?!

How can you say that, there are TWO scopes!!!
Seriously, what other FPS has two scopes?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
F4LL3N said:
The Call of Duty series is pretty much superior in every form to every other FPS, and infact any other genre game. Anyone who can't see that needs to open their eyes.
"Anyone who can't see that needs to open their eyes"? What kind of argument is that supposed to be?

Huh. Observe my brilliant counterpoint: Call of Duty isn't anything special. Anyone who can't see that needs to open their eyes.

Yeah, see how this works? See, there's this concept known as "subjective". You might want to look into it.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Call Of Duty is like a great pop song.

Yes, it's simple. Yes, it follows an often-used formula. Yes, it can be shallow at times.

COD is 'Another One Bites The Dust' or 'We Will Rock You'.

A lot of you guys want all your games to be 14 minute Pink Floyd epics with long solos and deep layers of emotions.

Try and accept there's beauty and fun to be found in both styles.
I also wouldn't spend $60 dollars a year buying Tik Tok: Modern Ke$ha 3.
Good for you, but I did say a good pop song.

This is all subjective but to me COD is the best 'simple' or 'formulaic' shooter out there. I'd certainly spend 60 dollars a year buying new Queen, U2 or Michael Jackson albums.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
koroem said:
Nocola said:
Now, correct me if I'm wrong but when you release new levels or maps for the same game it's called DLC right? It usually costs anywhere from 5 to 15 dollars. As I watched in utter dismay, I came to the sweeping realization that I do not see one new gameplay element. It looks, sounds, plays, moves, acts, and feels utterly identical to Modern Warfare 2.
Nocola, meet Activision.
Acivision meet Nocola.

Bobby Kotick will be out shortly to consume your soul.

I will enjoy that very much. nomnomnom

Borntolose said:
DLC?! Nothing new?!

How can you say that, there are TWO scopes!!!
Seriously, what other FPS has two scopes?
This is Activision's entire selling point for the game. "Serioulsy guys, it has two scopes, isn't that awesome? Now, give us 60 bucks

swankyfella

Mar 17, 2011
"Hi there, and welcome to Al's COD Convenience Store. We have everything you'll ever need for the ever-evolving world of Call of Duty. Here's your iron sights.... And.... uh.... We, uh... Well, I guess that's kinda it... Keep your ear to the ground, though! After releasing three versions of the exact same game, we'll be revealing our patented 'Overpowered Perk Pack,' complete with game-ruining exploits and hacks! And what's that I see on the horizon? Our famous 'Exact-same-game Special,' but this time without that peskily innovative campaign! ...Huh. There seems to be some sort of zombie mode shuffling along in it's shadow....

I thought you guys said Treyarch wasn't coming"

"Sorry, man. He overheard us talking and we couldn't say no. You know how he gets... Plus, he has that retard strength..."

"Fine, whatever. He can stay. As long as he doesn't touch the next gam- OH GOD DAMN IT!!!!!"

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
MiracleOfSound said:
What's wrong with a simple, shallow experience? Next you'll be telling us Tetris is crap...
Tetris is a great game. But I wouldn't spend $60 dollars a year buying Tetris: Modern Tetris 3.
This is pretty much how I see it and whether or not you like Call of Duty is irrelevant. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare retailed at around £40, Modern Warfare 2 retailed at around £40. Modern Warfare 3 will do doubt retail at around £40. The obvious argument is that 'It's Call of Duty, you know what you're getting into!' and that's a fair point; but for those of us who just want to play the latest gunpowder and explosion saturated power trip that £40 price point is a little steep. The games don't seem to come down in price either, Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2 are still ungodly expensive.

MiracleOfSound said:
Good for you, but I did say a good pop song.

This is all subjective but to me COD is the best 'simple' or 'formulaic' shooter out there. I'd certainly spend 60 dollars a year buying new Queen, U2 or Michael Jackson albums.
I agreed at first glance, then I realised that a good album is considerably cheaper and will last a lifetime. Tyranny and Mutation is just as good an album now as it was when I got it in 2003, but it's appeal is constant and not easily replaced. Sure I could listen to The Secret Treaties or Fire of Unknown Origin, but it wouldn't stop me listening to Tyranny and Mutation.

Where as an episodic series like Modern Warfare's little gaiden has become can be enjoyed seperately for their multiplayer, but the campaign is a bit slash dot without the previous entry. I hope that Modern Warfare 3 is more over the top and insane, I want to see how far Infinity Ward are willing to push the boundaries of reality. But I'm not going to pay £40 just for that privilege when I know that I'll never touch the multiplayer.

Subjective it may be; but a game should be worth its retail price without online play and meta-game factored in.

swankyfella

Mar 17, 2011
Zhukov said:
Yeah, see how this works? See, there's this concept known as "subjective". You might want to look into it.
It was the best concept ever and anyone who can't see that needs to open their eyes.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
I'd like to view every new COD game as an action flick; they all look much the same, but we don't watch them for their thought provoking story.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
This is just another thread for people to hate on CoD, then get a false sense of superiority because other people are doing the same thing. If I tried to disagree with people, by saying that CoD is a good game, you people would just post facepalm pics, like you have been doing with other people.

I mean seriously, every CoD game, not just MW3 is much more than just "overpriced DLC". Of course the core mechanics stay the same, but contrary to popular belief on this site, they do add new features.

ninja51 said:
let me say Skyrim will be better than both.
hear, hear! I will be buying all three games and I don't even give a damn :)

GeneWard

Feb 23, 2011
I don't care about MW3's success to be honest, because when CoD comes out, I get it on day 1, play it till I get bored and then trade it in for a PROFIT. My record doing this was last year when I bought Black Ops in a sale for £25 and traded it in 3 days later for £41. Then I bought Battlefield Bad company 2, Bioshock, Mass effect, Fallout 3 and Oblivion. I love GAME.

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
Zhukov said:
F4LL3N said:
The Call of Duty series is pretty much superior in every form to every other FPS, and infact any other genre game. Anyone who can't see that needs to open their eyes.
"Anyone who can't see that needs to open their eyes"? What kind of argument is that supposed to be?

Huh. Observe my brilliant counterpoint: Call of Duty isn't anything special. Anyone who can't see that needs to open their eyes.

Yes, it is subjective. Doesn't necessarily make it any less true. The statement, "Country 'x' is the best country in the world" is subjective. But if you took into account everything that makes a country great, you'd find the best country in the world. Subjective or not.

Either way, that was mainly aimed at people who don't have a genuine reason to hate the series. You can use this argument if you want:

And of course everyone who disagrees with you is just one of those hipsters! It's not like anyone can not like Call of Duty! After all, you like it! For them to dislike it, they'd need differing opinions or other such madness!
But it's obvious many people don't have a real reason to hate it, or atleast as much as they do. Seriously, how many people have you seen say they hate Modern Warfare 2/Black Ops, but admit they've never even played it. Some people like Battlefield, so Call of Duty automatically goes on their 'worse game ever made' list. They're the people I was telling to open their eyes.

OT: Apparantly there will be quite a number more maps from day one. From the list I read, about 20, as opposed to 12 or so. Can't confirm, but it will keep multiplayer fresh for longer if it's true.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
C95J said:
This is just another thread for people to hate on CoD, then get a false sense of superiority because other people are doing the same thing. If I tried to disagree with people, by saying that CoD is a good game, you people would just post facepalm pics, like you have been doing with other people.

I mean seriously, every CoD game, not just MW3 is much more than just "overpriced DLC". Of course the core mechanics stay the same, but contrary to popular belief on this site, they do add new features.

ninja51 said:
Dam you!
Dam you and your disposable income!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Azure-Supernova said:
I agreed at first glance, then I realised that a good album is considerably cheaper and will last a lifetime. Tyranny and Mutation is just as good an album now as it was when I got it in 2003, but it's appeal is constant and not easily replaced. Sure I could listen to The Secret Treaties or Fire of Unknown Origin, but it wouldn't stop me listening to Tyranny and Mutation.

Where as an episodic series like Modern Warfare's little gaiden has become can be enjoyed seperately for their multiplayer, but the campaign is a bit slash dot without the previous entry. I hope that Modern Warfare 3 is more over the top and insane, I want to see how far Infinity Ward are willing to push the boundaries of reality. But I'm not going to pay £40 just for that privilege when I know that I'll never touch the multiplayer.

Subjective it may be; but a game should be worth its retail price without online play and meta-game factored in.
I do agree with you here and I wish the COD campaigns were longer.

However, the reality is that 90% of COD players find their value with the multi - it is definitely worth the 60 dollars for the days and days of playtime they get from it (last time I checked I had something like 9 days logged into COD4 and 7 to MW2)

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
FPS's don't tend to change drastically between sequels, just little things which accumulate over time. I mean BF3 doesn't look *that* different from BFBC2 (not a direct sequel but...same dev, same kind of game, same vein etc) and New Vegas didn't look *that* different from Fallout 3, so i'm hardly surprised that COD8 doesn't look *that* different from COD7.

Picking it out and calling it a special case, as if all sequels from all other games are wildly different from their predecessors, is just typical fanboi-ism.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
imnotparanoid said:
C95J said:

ninja51 said:
Dam you!
haha, I wish it was disposable income, by December I won't have any money left :D

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
C95J said:
imnotparanoid said:
C95J said:

ninja51 said:
Dam you!
haha, I wish it was disposable income, by December I won't have any money left :D
Ha ha!
You are poor!