Modern Warfare 3: Why does everyone hate it?

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Shrug. To each their own. I've greatly enjoyed the single player in all of them. It's so ridiculous and over the top that I don't mind it being linear as hell. It's basically a railroad of explosions and guns for a few hours. It works.

The multiplayer?

Lolno. I'll pass.

Don Savik said:
You really think a couple of russians can storm the white house? Or in MW3, you honestly think that RUSSIA can park like, 1000 boats ON THE COAST OF NEW YORK without...idk....the US Navy blowing them the fuck up? My point is that I think the creators of the sequels played on the aspects of the game that would sell the most copies, not what made the original truly great.
No, I don't think that. But I also don't care. It's ridiculous and I loved it. I don't get into realism in games personally, though I can see where people that do could draw contention with MW since it takes stabs at pretending to be realistic.

klausaidon

Aug 4, 2009
everythingbeeps said:
42 said:
and c) lolololol its copy and paste HURR
Is this the only way you know how to dismiss a valid point? By mocking people without actually providing any argument?
How about I provide a valid argument? The whole "It's copy and paste" thing is idiotic, at best. Most games reuse models at some level. Even Battlefield, I'm sure. From what I've seen, there is only one building in MW3 that kinda, sorta looks like that one building in Pipeline, and suddenly everyone is saying "OMG they are so lazy! Why are they charging 60$ for this!?!?"
which deserves nothing more than a facepalm. This is a common practice in game design. Take an old model, and re-skin it. There is no point in reinventing the wheel, as they say. If the model you need already exists, just use that, no sense in remaking it. Same goes with coding.

Wevet

Dec 24, 2010
I simply hate MW in general, because I've found it's built on anger. The campaigns may be fun, but everyone buys them for the multiplayer in the end. I have talked to many people, and evaluated it myself, and NOBODY has fun playing that game long term. I cut myself off, because every time I played it just ended in me being angry. I have heard similar stories from a LOT of people. So I just hate it because of it's lineage, but I will give it a try at some point.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Uncle_Brainhorn said:
Vuljatar said:
I beat the campaign in 2 and a half hours, that's why.
Either you're exaggerating, or you can manipulate time.
Or he played on the easiest difficulty?

OP: I enjoy MW3, and even I can tell that it is copypasta MW2 with some new tricks. Do I care? A little bit, but I still have fun, so what does it matter? Do I hold it up to the light and compare it against all the other games that I have? Fuck no.
I will never compare MW3 to Fire Emblem, Ogre Battle 64, Metroid Prime, and many other games that I love. MW3 is good at what it does: appeasing the masses. Just like Fire Emblem is good at difficulty curves, and Metroid Prime is good at making you visit every room 5 times, yet still not seeming drawn out.

So let people hate MW3, their complaints fall on deaf ears, since I still enjoy the game.
But please don't compare it to Skyrim... You mind as well compare Lord of the Rings to Star Wars.

RexoftheFord

Sep 28, 2009
Bit late on this post, but I'll leave my input anyway. Maybe the reason everyone hates MW3 isn't cause it's popular or just a rehash. Maybe they hate it, because it's genuinely a shitty game. And considering the titles that've been released this year, it has very little shine to prominently display itself with pride. Let me explain.

Single Player: Short, incoherent mess of story, AI that will kill everything for you, straight lines, slapped together. To be honest, at the end of the campaign, I was wondering why I was in the areas I was in. Why was I in Africa? How about that large mansion? Wait, why did they capture the Russian President? Who is Yuri? Who is Frost? Where did Frost go? I've forgotten the game. Then again, easy to forget a 3-4 hour game on its hardest difficulty.

Graphics: Brown brown brown. SNES games have less capabilities but better aesthetic. This game looks like Morrowind, but without the fantastical whimsy of a RPG setting.

Sounds: Guns sounds like you're shooting BBs. Not bullets. Voice acting is stale, boring.

Story: See single player above.

Multiplayer: You'd think a game that prides itself on its multiplayer would have had more work put into this. Maybe some dedicated servers. Fine tuning the spawn system. Working on coherent and workable map design. But, this is not the case. Maps are large, but are so cluttered with buildings, they seem tiny. In a word, claustrophobic. Dedicated servers? Nowhere to be seen on consoles. Same P2P system, which presents a problem. Lag lag lag. People complained about being shot around walls in BO, but this game has that problem ten fold. Connection is everything in this game, and it reminds me of GoW2 where host wins. Oh another problem with P2P. Dashboarding. Everyone takes a loss with this. Hitboxes are off. Blast shield perk is broken. Doesn't protect from any type of explosive. Considering a person without it can tank grenades and rockets, it seems unnecessary. Oh, commando's also built into the game. The spawn system is atrocious. You will be spawned behind immediately after you've killed someone, more often than not.

Overall, game's just shit. And that's why people hate it. And considering much better games like Arkham City, Skyrim, or even older games like Deus Ex have been released this year, why waste your money on this one? Or if you've already bought it, why not go trade it in immediately for a better game?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Hipster Escapist... hates games that are popular!

Gamers just like to hate popular things. It's a part of the culture.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Twilight_guy said:

that part of the game culture sucks.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
42 said:
Well i bought Modern Warfare 3, and i'm halfway through the game right now, and i'm throughly enjoying myself, and most of all i'm having fun.
Now i've seen thread after thread of people sledging crap at it, all because it's a) a sequel, b) not superior graphically to BF3 (which has to be the most pathetic argument of all time) and c) lolololol its copy and paste HURR

What is it with fanboys having to bash everything, i mean have we reached a point where we are all cynical to the everything?

So anyway, i think Modern Warfare 3 is good for a whole plethora of reasons. i mean for one it finally balances it's fucking veteran difficulty. spec-ops is unbelievable ketchup sauce, and the multiplayers the multiplayer for which i have no problem with.

But it's the BF3 fanboys, and everyone else that is whining about a service you don't have to actually sign up for, nor pay for it, and thats why it's shit? i mean come on BF3's biggest falling point is using a fricking web browser to access multiplayer games. What is up with that?

anyway i think people should just be a little more lighter on the criticism.

biggest lols to the Metacritic bombers who all write "I haven't even bought MW3 and i think it's the worst game of all time"
Look, there is no reason, in the world, to buy MW3, when BF3 exists. End.

EA is 'The Bad' but Activision is just 'The Ugly'. And while that is literally true, when it comes to this game, they just produce this mass market piece of shit, that really is copy and paste, and I don't like it, so many others feel as I do, its just another fucking shooter, please just don't, and we want it to stop, frankly, that's why we moan on about it.

You've done a dis-service to the gaming community by buying it, if you must, finish it, but atleast trade it in toward BF3, a superior shooting experience.

Also really? "i'm throughly enjoying myself, and most of all i'm having fun." No repetition there? I can enjoy and not have fun? Or vice-versa?

Fundementally, this game is appealing to meatheads, yes its a stereotype, but its one that holds true, its just mindless crap that could've been on a N64 its just that sophisticated.

Fair enough?

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
As someone who doesn't play BF3 or MW3 I am in a bit of a unique position to be a little less unbiased than some. The problem I have with MW3 is it doesn't innovate at all, which is fine I suppose but personally I get annoyed seeing the same game rehashed year after year and it still being a top seller. How discouraging must that be for game companies actually taking risks and trying new things? COD has become the Madden of the FPS genre and that's okay for some people. Another reason I don't necessarily like it is because I don't think it deserves its massive fan base, obviously I'm wrong but a lot of COD just seems to be built up hype and the bandwagon effect. A lot of girls who I've never seen play any other game play COD just for the attention. so it isn't the most dedicated fan base out there. It just adds to the idea that stagnation is okay, as long as it sells well. They keep pumping out Transformers movies when they could spend time and money making better things, simply because it is profitable. It's getting to that point with COD in my opinion, it's just a bad business practice. Oh and because Gears of War 3 is so L33t d00d OMG, COD is for n00bs man!!! (jk on that last sentence)

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
I think it's mainly because the series makes so much money with minimal effort, while other developers are struggling even though they're working harder and making games that are, in most cases, better.

VehemensDecor

Nov 28, 2011
I hate it because it is just a re-skinned Modern Warfare 2. It shouldn't be a game, it should be an expansion pack. Anyone that buys it, to me, is wasting their money.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Twilight_guy said:

I hate you for sayin that, it is quite possibly the worst argument people sat in MW2/3/Black Op's deffence.

alot of people who dont like the new CoD's also like CoD4 MW, Halo games, Battlefield, Mario, The Elder Scrolls, Zelda etc
all very popular games

anyway the reason i dont like any Call of Duty games after CoD 4 is that in world at war the Maps were shit tbh, and all the ones after that i hate the war the guns handle, they're all too accurate to fast and sound shit not to mention the unbalanced gameplay

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Because we don't all have to like the same fucking things.

You like being shown explosions and not being allowed to open doors, whilst having every inch of your "playing" experience scripted; I like to be able to actually do stuff in my games.

And you know what? That's A-O-Fucking-Kay.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Something to do with the fact that if it isn't something they like it immediately makes it bad. I'm yet to receive the memo that any linear game is now bad, with the exception of Half-Life and Portal for reasons that I still don't quite understand.

Seriously, there are plenty of games that I don't like, but I can still appreciate the fact that if you're into that sort of thing they're good games. It's a childish attitude and needs to stop.

IKSA

Jun 30, 2011
I nesecarily don't hate the game I hate the publisher which are just trying to milk money from us.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I don't like this COD because since MW2 they have been taking the series in a direction that I do not like. I didn't hate it but I just wasn't interested in it.

Now I am starting to hate it because everyone keeps whining about people not liking it.
Of course people are going to hate on it, COD is just releasing a rehash every year and this one is the least put together one yet.
It's not even that which makes it so hated though. It's the fact that it sells extremely well and all of it's fans make stupid topics like these.

I have seen two kinds of topics about MW3. The "This game is so great, it's the best game ever" kind and then the "OMG why do people hate the game" which is usaully followed by "It's because they are fanboys" or "It's because they think it's cool to hate popular stuff like COD"

It's not the game that makes most people hate COD, it's you people.

TheLoveableMuffin

Jun 11, 2011
I am reluctant to buy it because I have access to my mate's copies of COD4 and MW2, and I know down in my heart that paying £40 just to play the same formula again. A good formula, but the same one three times.

I've said this about a few other game series here on the Escapist, but what the Call of Duty series is a couple of years break so that developers can have a long coffee break to discuss what directions they can take, new engine, new graphics tech. Then once fans are all Prestige 10's and saying, 'I wonder what happened to COD,' and then BAM! Call of Duty returns.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
spartandude said:
Twilight_guy said:

I hate you for sayin that, it is quite possibly the worst argument people sat in MW2/3/Black Op's deffence.

alot of people who dont like the new CoD's also like CoD4 MW, Halo games, Battlefield, Mario, The Elder Scrolls, Zelda etc
all very popular games

anyway the reason i dont like any Call of Duty games after CoD 4 is that in world at war the Maps were shit tbh, and all the ones after that i hate the war the guns handle, they're all too accurate to fast and sound shit not to mention the unbalanced gameplay
Well, with popular games, you do get some people who just hate them because they're popular (same goes for popular movies, books, and music - just visit The Guardians' comments section one day). But you also get more people who genuinely dislike them - because the games are so big, and sell so much, you're naturally going to see more people who have tried it and didn't like/hated it. And some of these people then feel the need to be loud about it, because they don't want their voice getting drowned out by all the people who DO like the game.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
I for one cannot understand why people go for the 'realistic' angle the companies sell. It's a game and games are meant to be fun, BF3 or MW3 (or Skyrim). The closest I came to realistic was Operation Flashpoint, but that was nothing compared to VBS 2, which in turn was nothing compared to my days in BMT.