Mojang Gets Silly With Minecraft Map Trailer

Proarcher

Jan 24, 2010
Gralian said:
I'm glad a map is coming, but what about underground navigation? Will the map work when you get lost in your own mines? (It's happened to me more times than i care to mention)

Also, hurry up and include trap doors. I can't be the only one who wants to create a pit full of creepers and a switch to surprise some poor fool by stepping onto it and over a trap door leading to said pit, or perhaps create a cactus-based spikey hole for mobs outside my home with the same trap door idea.
Well, Notch has ^^. It says he's added 'hatches' in this update. They have the same use and physics as doors, just as a hatch and trapdoor; so I assume with redstone circuitry and lots of hatches, you could easily make what you've just described. ^^

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Angel Molina said:
Jabberwock xeno said:
No, I learned that if you have double doors, and go to sleep in the bed, it will treat it as there being only 1 door there, not two, so mobs can get in, and interrupt your sleep.
I... did not know that.... Wow, the more you know i guess? Well, hopefully he'll fix that too.
Actually, that first mistake was supposed to be "meant", not learned.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
GrandmaFunk said:
samsonguy920 said:
You are a little behind there, powered rails came out with 1.5. Booster(as in the original way to power minecarts) tracks have actually been enhanced with this update, making rollercoasters all the more exciting.
actually it's the other way around, 1.6 fixes the "bug" that allowed for the old boosters to work, moving forward it'll be powered rails only, though they are getting a speed bump.
As quoted from The Word of Notch [http://notch.tumblr.com/post/5775170768/the-changelist-for-1-6]:
* Made booster tracks speedier
Notch has never said anything against booster tracks or called it a bug. Putting powered rails in offers an alternative where boosters would be not feasible in an area. I don't see anything in the bug-fixing portion about removing boosters.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Mechsoap said:
Hmmm.... how does a compass, with a lot of paper around it, result in a map?
How does paper and ink transport you to other worlds? [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myst]

Some things are just meant to be taken for granted.

Evill_Bob

Nov 18, 2009
I get lost in big open games, a lot, which is why in Morrowind I always stuck to roads otherwise I would spend hours just trying to find civilization again. The addition of maps will allow me to explore without occasionally having to travel back to the starting point just to figure out where I'm at. The bug fixes will also be nice.

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
XT inc said:
I'm going to have to drop a resounding Meh on this development, of all the fun cool stuff modders are doing for this game the official release is a Map.

I know there are a lot of bug fixes, but when so much should be added to flesh out the game world and multiplayer, shouldn't that stuff all get done first so they can work on the bugs they cause?
There's also thousands upon thousands of modders in any strong community and I think Mojang only has like 6 developers? I don't own Minecraft yet but I'd rather they fix bugs than release new stuff into a buggy game. I do agree that it isn't a huge announcement, but I'm just trying to show you my perspective on it. Now a game by Blizzard has thousands making addons on it but also thousands working on the game as a job, so that is sort of different.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Distorted Stu said:
Looks good! ALso,

Posts....
Nice work, bro.

I'm looking forward to the update, but now that you can't get seeds from hoeing the ground I'm kind of annoyed.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
Notch has never said anything against booster tracks or called it a bug. Putting powered rails in offers an alternative where boosters would be not feasible in an area. I don't see anything in the bug-fixing portion about removing boosters.
he's actually commented on it several times on his twitter feed.

"* Fixed minecarts next to each other causing extreme velocities (sorry!)"

it's about halfway down in the list of bug fixes

on the plus side...the powered rails recipe now produces 6 units instead of just 1..that definitely makes more sense to me =)

didn't have time to test out the speed change to them though