Molyneux: Godus Is "Invest-To-Play," Not F2P

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
TwoSidesOneCoin said:
L34dP1LL said:
There's already a term "coined" (see what I did there?) for this, it's pay to win.
Here I was going to post something similar to that. Don't know why people ever flocked to this guy, but then again I never did get into the Fable series at all.

/meh
Peter Molyneux was behind some really good games. The Populus series, Syndicate, Theme Park, Dungeon Keeper for example. It's just that much like Richard Garriot, he succumbed to his own press and thinks he's better than he really is. He needs to remember why people enjoyed the games he was behind instead of saying "I'm giving you a game! worship me!"

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
TwoSidesOneCoin said:
L34dP1LL said:
There's already a term "coined" (see what I did there?) for this, it's pay to win.
Here I was going to post something similar to that. Don't know why people ever flocked to this guy, but then again I never did get into the Fable series at all.

/meh
Fable isn't why people flood to this guy. Populous and Dungeon Keeper are his success stories.

L34dP1LL

Mar 6, 2010
TwoSidesOneCoin said:
L34dP1LL said:

/meh
The only game that I enjoyed was black & white, and god knows why they never released something like it for the kinect.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
So, it's an entire article dedicated to Molyneux talking semantics.
Even the author of the source admits difficulty in getting a straight answer from ol Pete the Liar.

Mark Brown said:
Instead, there'll be monetisation in Godus "that hasn't existed before". And it will be as "fresh and as new and as different from anything you've ever seen in any game", he adds, in one of his now-typical promise-the-moon sales pitches.

He's [Molyneux] cagey about the finer details of Godus's monetisation, so getting him to divulge concrete examples is like pulling teeth.
We know the model, Pete, and a good number of us know how investment models work.
There is nothing innately evil about the F2P game model but it is a service-centric model, which means the player is far more dependent on the developer than in a classic game. And because of that dependency, it's both easier and more tempting to just jerk customers around for more money; a fact that's being exploited more and more as time goes on.

The timing and subject of this article is no accident; Pete is doing his best to distance his game from the recent fallout of the Dungeon Keeper fiasco (which was more of the proverbial "last straw" than anything; this freemium gouging shit has had a reckoning long overdue).

(Speaking of Dungeon Keeper...that was no accident either. The market let it happen.)

But back to the subject: Why the name change from ol' Pete?
To divert attention away from the growing stigma associated with F2P, nothing more.
Attention, that the genre is rightly earning right now as more companies try to pull this shit.
(which I have some issue with because there are legitimately good F2P games out there)

And I imagine that's especially important for a man who, not too long ago, sold a social experiment that was literally nothing but micro-transactions. Pete's proven how invested he is into exploiting the model.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
WeepingAngels said:
TwoSidesOneCoin said:
L34dP1LL said:

/meh
Fable isn't why people flood to this guy. Populous and Dungeon Keeper are his success stories.
Yes I'm not 100% certain but I believe this is where he first fell off the wagon. Molyneux promised the moon with Fable, which was a good game but didn't deliver anywhere near what he promised. Something like a completely dynamic game world and perhaps the best RPG of all time.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I know Molyneux seems to have a very big mouth according to the past, but if you look closely at the dev times given for Fable, you'll see that they get lesser and lesser every game. So, I'm betting Molyneux actually really did believe he could have delivered on at least a lot of his promises during Fable 2 and 3's development but then Microsoft kept coming along and cutting his dev time.

It will be interesting to see if he'll be able to deliver on half of what he says now that he can set his own deadlines.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Call it "Custard pie fights with christopher walken" for all I care it's still bullshit. You know what we can do with the money we have. Find old games, and good ones at that, and just buy them. RCT, X-wing, IL2 Sturmovik, Call Of Duty 4, From Dust, and countless other fully fledged experiences are out there and they don't hide behind bullshit paywalls.

You know what this is? This is hostage gaming. It's literally holding the good part of the game hostage until either you pay up or the ransomer gets tired and goes to sleep and finally lets a good part pass. And the worst part is how people keep buying into it. It won't do good to post a warning here. Everyone here is already perfectly aware of how bullshit this is. The people out there won't see this message. They're too busy doing other things.

But one thing I do know for sure is that this is not gaming. This is hostage negotiation.

Wackymon

Jul 22, 2011
Who knows, maybe he GENUINELY means INVEST. You just plop a few dollars early on, and then GROW. and GROW MORE. AND GROW MORE EMERALDS! MORE OF THEM, ENJOY BEING DROWNING IN THEM WHEN YOU INVEST EARLY ON FOR THE GROWTH! ENJOY ITTTTTTT! Because, if you don't pay a few dollars early on, you loose time that you could be using GROWING THE EMERALDS! They only grow linearly, unfortunately.
Seems like a fairly easy model, to be honest.

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
Ugh. Why is this guy still allowed to work in the industry?

He utterly destroyed any credibility he used to have, long ago. Now he's just another Uwe Boll of Games.

UBERfionn

Jun 7, 2010
I'll trust Molyneux. Just 'cos he needs someone to be on his side. He overhypes things but goddanm he tries so hard.