Monster Hunter Tri

BobTD

Jul 24, 2010
UTDC.Justin said:
Yahtzee's job here isn't to tell you why a game is perfect and why you should buy it, every other magazine including the massively corrupt Famitsu does that (giving this game a 40 lol).
Out of the what like, 12 other games that got a perfect score? Look at the list.

Monster Hunter 3 sold more copies then MW2 in the UK. I kind of makes me wonder what the difference between the UK and US audience is.

I know he has to force himself to play these games but really the 4 player online is the biggest part of the series and its like a whole other game he never even got to see.

Im not saying yahtzee should't hate it, if he hated the game he should say so. But I do feel like he turned a lot of people away from a good game. Either way, the point of the game is to take legendary monsters on with a group of friends. I dont know if he knew that or not, I cant tell how serious he is after the "item collection endgame" part of his video.

I kind of feel bad that he didn't just try the demo because then he would get to play with the combat mechanics before the single player game that starts you off so bleeding slow. But the games controls have a steep learning curve that turns a lot of players off from the game so this was their best answer to lazy English audiences that don't like their games to be hard. A painfully slow slope.

Anyways, a painfully terrible misrepresentation of the game, as you really don't need to do all that collecting, unless its for the beginning quests witch you should be able to power through in 20min.

It sounds harsh, but maybe he should just play the demo disk if he obviously isnt going to put any time into it.

Chibz said:
AndrewOfHell said:
Goodness me I had fun reading this humongous pile of fan rage.

Even though I did enjoy MH3 Yahtzee, I totally agree with the points you make. Why cant people just chill out and not get all sweaty and annoyed whenever somebody criticizes something they love, when it most certainly has flaws.

It's his opinion, off to your Capcom forums fanboys now.
His opinion is flawed, he never actually played the game. Released a review where he never talked about the bread & butter of the MH3 series. It's not even about fanboyism, it's about him never addressing real flaws and actually pulling some out of his imagination.
I agree with that post. Yahtzee, you aren't funny unless you are accurate.

Alarid

Jan 15, 2009
What ten-hour tutorial? What do you mean you didn't automatically hop online? It isn't that hard to learn on the fly...

FriedRicer

Sep 19, 2010
Sigh...10 hours=1 tutorial?It took my cousin 40 minutes.He's 12.This is the one review I have read from you that was grossly exaggerated...BTW I solo'd the game.Hr 49...alba WILL die!

omgwtflolbbl

Jul 27, 2008
I honestly have a hard time believing it took him that long to reach the Great Jaggi. I mean, hell... Monster Hunter Tri was my first MH game ever, and I actually started out with the Japanese version because I found the game concept to be so interesting and I happened to have a pretty giant chunk of free time then. Despite me having absolutely no idea at all what I was supposed to do (I don't understand Japanese), how any of the items worked, what the controls were, etc., it took me around 3 and a half hours to reach the Great Jaggi, mostly by accidentally doing stuff. Although I will admit, capturing my first monster took me many, many tries before I finally looked up exactly what you were supposed to do.

Once I had my hands on the NA version, it took me around 45 minutes to get back to the Great Jaggi, and on this run, I was still reading all the text and learning new things for the first time (as it was my first time seeing it all), and just generally taking it easy.

I didn't expect him to like MH at all, but every reason he gives just seems so... half assed.

Dekuinthelake

Dec 6, 2010
XD I liked Monster Hunter Tri, but only when it's online. The story was POOP. The tutorials made me want to take a cheese grader to a cat. By the way, even though Yahtzee makes fun of some games I really like, it's still so great because it's true! How he made fun of Other M, it was art, I tell you!

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
Mindmaker said:
This game does not have a 10 hour tutorial.
If you would have invested more than half an hour into the game you would have found out yourself.
He did, ge got far enough to fight the bosses.

Krimson Kun said:
It does however put his credibility on the line. He made the game sound like it was nothing but boring thing without any fucking thing to do(not even giant boss monsters existed in his review), and that is why people got angry in the first place, because he was incorrect about the game. He is entitled to his opinion as you are to yours and me to mine, but it is a whole other thing to just rant and rant and rant about the tutorial(all the things that he rants about? Goes away on the NEXT QUEST).
But he wasn't incorrect about the game. He actually fought one of the bosses only to discover that even they where a grind.

Gets better with other people, isnt' a point in the games favor. But your socilising skills and wether you 'socially connect' with them, or if there where particularly good jokes that day that made the day good, not the game itself.

If Monster Hunter isn't well designed for a single player than its not Yahtzee's fault is it?
Its like criticising a restuarant as 'shit', because of how you where treated by the people eating there and not the food.

Switchblade1080

Apr 5, 2011
I've seen a constant whining in this "Extra Punctuation" with such terms that relate to "I have a job unlike you basement dwelling fucks that love to spend time being a Masochist about it."

But I'm curious on whether Yahtzee has harkened himself to FAR older times than the 6th generation of videogames ala the NES. In which the game "gets better later" is the very foundation of what the old times harkened about (YES CONTRA I'M YELLING AT YOU!!).

And I again quote from Yahtzee "Maybe if I had your kind of wealthy, privileged lifestyle and could spend most of my days idly playing Wii by the pool as a team of oiled bodybuilders fanned me with palm fronds" as one of the most juvenile things I've ever heard as an attempt to justify the self-proclaimed fact that a challenging game sucks. The main problem about this is; the game is merely quest based (Yes it has freeroam). Quests are those tasks that CAN reduce your playing time since it probably has a time limit to remind you that you have work to do...you can play it for mere (long) minutes, save the game, and go back again. Yes, this game forces you to strangle your stash, lock you into quests, but he must then realize that it is his fault alone...NOT the game mechanics. Insulting a Game mechanic for what it does well is usually not a good idea and should ONLY be criticized when its not serving it's supposed function.

But let's look at the bright side that gives off another hue of JUSTICE. As games; we are given the privilege to become someone we're not (Kratos, Dante (OK he's emo but), War, Master Chief, Titus, Kain Highwind (lol..emo), etc.) and we are allowed to immerse into their pain and rage as we press BUTTONS TO UNLEASH JUST HOW FUCKING PISSED THEY ARE!!!111...although Yahtzee's style is questionable; its his style of playing...and games are there to cater to our entertainment, so yes...he HAS the right to hate a game if he doesn't like it...why?? Because he WANTS to have fun; like all of us gamers. This Generalist point of view has then revealed a fatal flaw to Yahtzee's sense of reasoning, in that he insults other mediums liking it because he didn't find it fun...then again, those Private Messages are probably annoying him.

MaAlGon3

Nov 5, 2011
Well then, I guess i'm just a very thick person who can tolerate massive amounts of repetition because i've always liked Monster Hunter, and I really don't know why I still like it, seeing as I agree with everything Yahtzee has said about it. That is, except for the tutorial hyperbole (seriously, 10 hours?)

charge52

Apr 29, 2012
I enjoyed monster hunter freedom and freedom unite, but i have to agree with Yahtzee here. This sequel is more about gathering than hunting. In unite i rarely ever needed to gather something that you couldn't get by just kicking somethings ass. Still, whoever told Yahtzee that the tutorial is 10 hours, is an idiot.

New-Dusk

Apr 23, 2013
I really enjoy this game. That's probably because my mind never really feels grind any more after years of RPG's and F2P online games with crafting systems. I've noticed that a lot of people playing Monster Hunter on Youtube don't go slaughter everything kill-able within sight, which seems to make them end up needing to grind. I think the point of this game is a big crafting game with epic combat segments.