Monsters, Magic and Marilyn Manson?

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
*sigh* pixilated sex scenes. Awkward, amusing & an indication of the industries ever present childishness.

That said. I just see them having gone through their game & cut together all the different scenes/moments that can be combined to make a big LOTR ripoff trailer to appeal to those for whome nights in playing D&D doesnt appeal. Though choosing Marylin Manson for the music suggests whoever put that thing together is in their 30s & hasnt listened to anything new in at least 5-10years.

Runic

Mar 28, 2009
It's not that bad. I guess they wanted to get other types of audience with it, since it looks quite odd for a game trailer. I will still get the game for what it has been I just hope it won't end cheesy and awkward.

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
Bioware has always had a somewhat juvenile way of writing. The only thing is that they shifted from making a game that was akin to a book to making a game that is akin to a mtv clip.

Remember Irenicus? Here's a tortured character, where at the beginning you glance his vulnerability from his attempts to recreate a lover and his self absorption by talking to a servant in formaldehyde who begs for death and can't comprehend that his master has forgotten him.

This is some of their most exemplary work.

But then we get characters like Nalia, Aerie, Jan and romance that seems written by 15-year olds.

Is it really such a surprise to see a movie like this from bioware?

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
that looked pretty good

guess this is another game that's being released by EA that everyone will want to play, even tho everyone says EA sucks and never releases anything good

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
So where's the issue here? Bit of metal and gore to try and appeal to the masses? It's unlikely to be a big part of the actual game and who pays that much attention to trailers anyway? They're meant to appeal to as many people as possible.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Marilyn Manson aside, this trailer made the game seem unappealing to me.

As for Marilyn Manson, they should have used one of his better songs like Get Your Gunn or Heresy. Still not one of his songs I like, but Dope Hat, My Monkey or Minute of Decay probably wouldn't have worked very well. Maybe Man That You Fear...

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
Meh, I didn't mind the trailer, I mean, it was fairly entertaining, and as long as the game doesn't have a metal sound track, I can't possibly see why this would be a big deal.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Looks more like they were plugged in to another Manson for this trailer. One considerably more incarcerated.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
New Troll said:
As for Marilyn Manson, they should have used one of his better songs like Get Your Gunn or Heresy.
Heresy is from Nine Inch Nails, not Marilyn Manson.

I like MM and the trailer seems pretty cool. Except there should be more blood.

closetgeekshow

May 10, 2009
Since when is Marilyn Manson the music for the "frat boys"?

Manson is goth rock, frat boys beat up Marilyn Manson fans, so I'm not sure why everyone's equating the presence of his music in a trailer with going mainstream. That trailer actually makes me want to play a game that I thought would be boring.

Why is everyone all up in arms about this anyway? It's like this was set to a Timbaland song or something.

Feb 13, 2008
nilcypher said:
"[Marilyn Manson] is not in the game. That said, is it such a crime to try to appeal to different kinds of people? ... We are going to try and sell as many different kinds of people on the game as we possibly can -- if the idea is that a game's success ruins the exclusivity you've built up in your head, that we've dared to approach the hoi polloi with the idea that there's something for them here, too... surely you don't mean that?"
Which is a nice way of saying, "Yes, we know you're going to buy this anyway, now fuck off while we try and sell it to the morons as well".

How about marketing to your core demographic like every other non-gamer product does?

Nikita89

May 24, 2008
Horrible choice of music. It's not Manson. It's the song! Simply doesn't fit the scenes they show!