Monsters, Magic and Marilyn Manson?

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
The vibe I got from this video was "we are trying too hard. Do you think we are cool now?"

Though ya know what's refreshing?

None of this bullshit "Ragdoll" - I mean, it's like developers are getting so lazy and just saying "let the physics engine do all the work" and then we have games with "Oblivion" style combat.

Anyway, back on track - I thought the trailer was just cheesy. Yet, it has not dropped my interest in the game because Bioware knows better than to turn a great RPG into a hack n' slash.

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
I actually enjoyed this, sure it doesn't show off the story and stuff, but we have seen lots of that, is does show of the flashiness and combat a little. The lyrics might not suit, but the sound works well in the trailer, and I thought it was a fun trailer.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Machines Are Us said:
No it sure as hell is not. Say that to a Goth and expect something scathing in return.
More likely watch him cry himself to sleep.

Im sick of elitist 14 years olds who want to see "their" games bought only by themselves and their 12 friends... all of which are virgins.

Bio ware want to sell the game and make it a success. They will then get to make more games. Its no different than a movie trailer. They are trying to get some interest and build some hype.

Dont get so worked up.

Although the hawaii 5-0 video was much better.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
bjj hero said:
Machines Are Us said:
No it sure as hell is not. Say that to a Goth and expect something scathing in return.

Im sick of elitist 14 years olds who want to see "their" games bought only by themselves and their 12 friends... all of which are virgins.
Whereas I am sick of people making idiotic stereotypes based upon things that they know nothing about, but we can't all have what we want can we.

Ilosia

The faceless
Mar 10, 2009
Gormourn said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Gormourn said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Which brings up a new question. Its 2009. Who the hell thought Marilyn Manson would sell anymore?
What? Marilyn Manson is still awesome >_<
Marilyn "I got dumped by Dita" Manson, with his "ooh, look at me be shocking in a non-threatening" way.
Meh. You got any better alternatives? And no, I can't say that I pay attention to what happens to most actors or singers at the moment. The songs I listen to are still awesome...

It's like saying that the Beatles suck because of how much they suck after they were "remade" years after half of the band died and everyone became old.
Tiger Lillies. End of.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Machines Are Us said:
bjj hero said:
Machines Are Us said:

Whereas I am sick of people making idiotic stereotypes based upon things that they know nothing about, but we can't all have what we want can we.
I had a goth girlfriend for over 2 years and have known plenty of goths, some even as friends. Ive heard far too much Sisters of Mercy.

Im not a Goth myself. Apparently they won't give you a goth club card if you have naturally black hair as you can't use the goth approved black hair dye.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
bjj hero said:
Machines Are Us said:
bjj hero said:
Machines Are Us said:

I had a goth girlfriend for over 2 years and have known plenty of goths, some even as friends. Ive heard far too much Sisters of Mercy.

Im not a Goth myself. Apparently they won't give you a goth club card if you have naturally black hair as you can't use the goth approved black hair dye.
That last part made me chuckle, although I think that attitude says more about the particular people than the culture they are a part of.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
After watching the trailer, watching the Hawaii 5-0 redo, and reading every comment in this thread, I've gotta say:

I'm still super psyched for this game.

Every other piece of media they've released for this game shows exactly what the game will be like. Go watch the 'Dev Diary' videos and you'll see exactly what the game is like. So who cares if the commercial isn't to your liking? The game itself hasn't changed!
It's marketing. That's it.

It might be a bit silly for some, but others here obviously enjoyed it and I'm sure others will as well (I really liked hearing some of the new VO work, which I thought was pretty good). Is it the traditional Bioware advert/trailer? No. But, again: The game hasn't changed. Let's hope this increases the fanbase so that Bioware can get good sales and therefore good reasons to get some DLC and content out for it faster then Mass Effect.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Baby Tea said:
After watching the trailer, watching the Hawaii 5-0 redo, and reading every comment in this thread, I've gotta say:

I'm still super psyched for this game.

Every other piece of media they've released for this game shows exactly what the game will be like. Go watch the 'Dev Diary' videos and you'll see exactly what the game is like. So who cares if the commercial isn't to your liking? The game itself hasn't changed!
It's marketing. That's it.

It might be a bit silly for some, but others here obviously enjoyed it and I'm sure others will as well (I really liked hearing some of the new VO work, which I thought was pretty good). Is it the traditional Bioware advert/trailer? No. But, again: The game hasn't changed. Let's hope this increases the fanbase so that Bioware can get good sales and therefore good reasons to get some DLC and content out for it faster then Mass Effect.
I feel the same. Thank you.

Everyone else... QQ MOOOOOAAARRRR *eats Sandvich*

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
Well they had to do something to cover up the fact that the game looks like shit.

But seriously, changing the music can change anything. Remember all the videos on Youtube? Different Strokes intro retracked to sound like a child molester story? The Shining made to sound like a comedy? This trailer means nothing.

closetgeekshow

May 10, 2009
Machines Are Us said:
closetgeekshow said:
Since when is Marilyn Manson the music for the "frat boys"?

Manson is goth rock, frat boys beat up Marilyn Manson fans, so I'm not sure why everyone's equating the presence of his music in a trailer with going mainstream. That trailer actually makes me want to play a game that I thought would be boring.

Why is everyone all up in arms about this anyway? It's like this was set to a Timbaland song or something.
Well my friends used to listen to him when they were gothy in school. Whatever, the point I was making is that Marilyn Manson isn't an great example of "frat boy" rock that everyone is all crazy about. The subculture that identifies with that differs greatly than say, a real "frat boy" band like Godsmack.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Well I gotta admit the trailer did it's job: get the viewer interested in the game. I got goosebumps for some reason (might have just been my cold beverage) even though my brain was yawning.

Still, this is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate? ...I guess I can see that; BG had a ton of low-res violence (what with the Lord of Murder theme going), and some amount of implied sex/romance. Do we just make sex in games a bigger deal now that we have better graphics? Fallout 2 was borderline smutty, but with Fallout 3 they chickened out and did the "fade to black" crap.

Arkengetorix

Mar 21, 2009
Marilyn Manson isn't goth rock. Marilyn Manson is industrial metal, goths might listen to Marilyn Manson but then plenty of people like me who don't wear makeup or dye my hair also do because they are a fan of industrial metal. Plus Rammstein, rob/white zombie, NIN, Genitorturers, Laibach(although not always), Godflesh etc.

Anyway, the trailer seems to do that whole trying to imitate cinema thing, which says to me it's trying to attract non traditional gamers rather than frat boys. I always kinda wish games got out of that trend and tried to find their own little niche because otherwise they'll always be stuck in that "pale imitation" category which is a bit disappointing.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Weren't people complaining about almost this very exact thing for that CoD 5 trailer?

I don't especially care for the music, but everything else about that trailer has just made me more excited for the game.

The highlight is that guy jumping on top of the dragon.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
Gormourn said:
Gormourn said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Which brings up a new question. Its 2009. Who the hell thought Marilyn Manson would sell anymore?
What? Marilyn Manson is still awesome >_<
Marilyn "I got dumped by Dita" Manson, with his "ooh, look at me be shocking in a non-threatening" way.
Meh. You got any better alternatives? And no, I can't say that I pay attention to what happens to most actors or singers at the moment. The songs I listen to are still awesome...

It's like saying that the Beatles suck because of how much they suck after they were "remade" years after half of the band died and everyone became old.
I can think of a few within metaldom

Machine head
Mastodon
Anthrax
Slayer
Gamma ray
Megadeth
Kreator
Lamb of god
the list could go on.......

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
Marilyn Manson is catering to a wider audience? really? No seriously...Really? Who made that conclusion?

Byers

Nov 21, 2008
Gormourn said:
None of these bands are anything like Manson.
No, because they can actually play music rather than screaming down a microphone. MM had his 15 minutes of fame and he's gone now.
Just maybe acquire better music taste than Nightwish and Evanescence before criticizing other people's music. Just a thought.