More Unskippable Piracy Warnings for DVDs

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
When people come up with ideas like this, I just want to ask them two questions:

1) What do you want to happen?
2) What do you honestly expect to happen?

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I've mentioned it before I'm sure, but I've got a fair few sealed DVDs on my shelves at home, because I've decided I want to own it, yet I'm watching downloaded versions of the DVDs that I paid for, because they're easier to use and someone's kindly stripped all the BS from the recordings.

Apparently I'm still a dirty filthy pirate for doing this and deserve to have my internet shut off and sent to jail, because I'm just not LISTENING to the lectures put on the DVDs. Why won't I just pay attention, hmm?

Others I've only unwrapped to watch the extras, because you rarely get downloads of the extras :)

I've said it a million times however, make stuff cheap and easy to both GET and USE, and you'll cut piracy overnight.

Make it expensive, annoying to watch with warnings and ads, then lock it to certain countries, then further lock it to a number of viewings or only on certain devices, and screw you all, many people will take the free one.

Steam however, has people buying stuff they ALREADY OWN, because of the simple ease of use. £2 for Deus Ex? and I don't have to find the CD and the CD key? Sign me up!

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
Bhaalspawn said:
Alterego-X said:
Triangulon said:
Monoochrom said:
MelasZepheos said:
Yeah I think they should stop trying to inform people of the law and trying to uphold it. I mean, who needs laws and rules? They just get in the way of things.

I'm rapidly losing any sympathy I might have possessed for anyone even vaguely in support of piracy even by apathy and omission. Piracy is illegal. This is a statement you would think it is hard to misunderstand but apparently people really are idiots. I don't need to be reminded again and again that stealing from a shop is wrong, or that copying someone's intellectual property and passing it off as my own is wrong, or that burglary or murder or speeding or assault is wrong (I am not comparing piracy to any of those crimes, I am listing them as crimes I have never had to be reminded about) yet somehow people can't get the hint that when something is illegal, you shouldn't do it.
This may blow your mind, but something being illegal says precisely nothing about the morallity behind it.
This may blow your mind but your view on whether a law is moral or not doesn't mean you can choose whether or not to obey it.
That's where Martin Luther King and Mahatma Gandhi would disagree with you.
Martin Luther King fought against laws that permitted racial discrimination.

You're fighting against a 30 second clip that you've deluded yourself into thinking is a justification for piracy.

You know, not everything is equal in every sense. I bet Martin Luther King would laugh at you right now.
That's just moving the goalpost. None of the above posters claimed that that pirates are at fault for disobeying a SLIGHTLY immoral law. Their posts categorically ignored the whole concept of civil disobedience, basically claiming that all laws must be obeyed because they are laws.

Besides, I didn't say that copyright holders are as evil as racists. If they would be, I would go out of my way to pirate everything, and even try to actively sabotage them, as opposed to mostly paying for my stuff, but not always paying attention to the letter of the law.

I wouldn't even say that copyright laws are *immoral* at all. they are just... not very morally justified, either. Like low speed limits at an empty straight road. Or alcohol pohibition. The theory behind them kind of makes sense, but to claim that it's still immoral to break them even when their practical execution doesn't, just because they are laws, (and they are not outright evil), is no more than blind rule-worshipping.

Or if you know a reason why only dangerously unjust laws should be disobeyed, but we are morally obliged to follow every less evil one even if they are not moral, I'm all ears.

zachusaman

Feb 28, 2012
Intellectual property "theft" isnt a victimless crime, there are plenty of victims, the consumers. the ones who bought the game, the ones who played by the corporate rules are the ones paying for these crimes, the actual pirates being victims is merely a coincidence.
SOPA, PIPA, just the recent examples of this where the only people being hurt are the ones who paid and supported these companies. these copyright morons are literally shooting their "fanbase" in the head.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
 "Trololololol," announced ICE director, John Morton.
I FUCKING KNEW IT

But no, in all seriousness, the people who are likely to be swayed against piracy by this are the people that never encounter it
Everyone else either doesnt care and ignores it, or is annoyed and goes out to pirate MORE

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
SenseOfTumour said:
£2 for Deus Ex? and I don't have to find the CD and the CD key? Sign me up!
that's weird... I bought a copy of Deus Ex for two DOLLARS at Half-Price Books, and it doesn't require the CD either.

I actually had planned to get an ISO to avoid it, but didn't have to. Wonder why that is.

Dec 16, 2009
this doesnt justify piracy, but once again shows an example of the legitimate customer being penalised for buying and the pirate getting a (slightly) better product.
combine this with regionalisation and it proves how much business practices need to be updated

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
"The fact that only legitimate customers will be subjected to these notices (presumably we're the victims mentioned in the first notice) is actually part of ICE's strategy. The notices are apparently meant to educate the general public, who upon seeing them will naturally take up arms and drive the pirates into the ocean from whence they came.  "Law enforcement must continue to expand how it combats criminal activity; public awareness and education are a critical part of that effort," announced ICE director, John Morton."

And that idea blows up as soon as the pirate says to the annoyed paying customer, "Do you want to watch movies and never have to deal with those annoying ad's ever again?" They really need to think this through a few more steps than they have. Well then again, they didn't think at all since this is basically what they've been doing since the early 80's.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
And now I will buy even less DVDs and Blu-rays. Good job, FBI and ICE! You're right, piracy is not a victimless crime, but I bet your website forgets to mention that the victims are paying customers who are forced to watch your anti-piracy bullshit when they just want to watch the goddamned movie they spent $20 on.

Oh well, at least the games industry isn't the only one completely unaware of how to combat piracy. The movie industry is absolutely fucking stupid too! Doesn't anyone pay attention to the music industry? Offer your customers a better, more easily accessible product and they will come give you money. How many people gave up on music pirating where you had to worry about varying audio quality and possible viruses/spyware when Apple came along and said "here you go, buy any song you want at a consistent quality with no viruses for 99 cents"? I almost hate to say this, but maybe Apple SHOULD get more serious in the games industry. Maybe they could show people how to properly combat piracy again.

sinterklaas

Dec 6, 2010
Give me an option to stream/download movies and shows the moment they air and I'll buy that shit. Oh, and don't fucking make it US only. Thank you, the rest of the world.

Until then, pirating it is.

Do they really not understand that most pirating is the effect of having an outdated business model?

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
All these things do is stop legitimate post-apocalyptic survivors like Finn and Jake from watching movies!

To hell with warnings!