More Unskippable Piracy Warnings for DVDs

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Farther than stars said:
Dandark said:
Clearly this will solve piracy. However could I have not realized that the way to combat piracy is to do the very thing that can help breed piracy. Luckily we had the US goverment to ignore evidence and logic as they are so good at doing.
Would you mind providing me with that evidence? I'd be very interested to see some of it. What's more, how does a ten-second-long warning breed piracy? Personally I don't think the average consumer stands there in the store going: "No, I want to buy this movie, but I won't because it will probably contain an anti-piracy message."
It doesn't really. People won't pirate because of a 10 second message.
It's just the whole idea that putting a message that say's piracy is bad in it will stop people, the reason a lot(not all) of people pirate is because it is so convienent.

Im mostly meaning games though, with annoying things like always online DRM and activation keys, people are more inclined to piracy.

As for films, this will make no difference but it seems like a waste of time to even bother trying.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Damn right this is an issue that isn't just victimless crimes!

Like all of us "legitimate customers" who have to put up with more and more bullshit telling us to keep being good little legitimate customers. WE are the only victims in this deal.

Oh, but I guess I didn't realize how all of those Hollywood executives and highly paid actors can only afford to live in modest sized homes (because they can't just live in one house, goddammit! That would be unjust!) and simply cannot bear the cost of multi-million dollar movies - oh wait, that's a complete load of horseshit.

The second notice shows the logo for the National Intellectual Property Rights Coordination Center, complete with a grumpy-looking eagle, a warning that piracy is "not a victimless crime," and directions to the IPR site, [http://www.iprcenter.gov/] which promises to explain how piracy is affecting the US economy.
Anything less than a video of that bit from South Park where wealthy musicians can't afford super deluxe gold plated private jets and what not is a slap in the face, I'm afraid. Aren't there real criminals they should be focusing on? Like the ones who actually cause damage that isn't just a bullshit "estimate" of "perceived losses" that are only an accurate representation of how much more money producers and publishers wish they had made in profits?

"Law enforcement must continue to expand how it combats criminal activity; public awareness and education are a critical part of that effort," announced ICE director, John Morton.
"And we can't wait to get around to that whole 'Pre-Crime' thing from Minority Report. Maybe throw in some 1984 in there with invasive searches for good measure!"

What the hell more do they want from the "public?" The content should actually justify the cost of a legal purchase, but at the rate these anti-piracy crusaders are going, piracy will end up being the only way to get any conceivable content without a full thirty minute video on piracy, followed by a word from their sponsors, and 5 minute portions of the actual "content" laden with product placement and interrupted by advertisements and further anti-piracy warnings. Given that the warnings were annoying enough to begin with, throwing shit more on top of the dung heap isn't going to make the whole mess any more palatable to the general audience - an audience who, by the way, is increasingly growing more tech savvy and is therefore better equipped to obviate these extra anti-piracy notices (likely through illegal means, no less).

No, these corporate asshats need to get it through their heads that paying customers have more than done their part; it's up to them to give us a reason to keep coming back. These companies actually might have to reevaluate how they operate their distribution, marketing, overall final product; the whole works. But that's effort and it's much easier to make a mountain lion out of a mole while forcing their own consumer base to ingest propaganda that victimizes their rich, corporate asses.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Crono1973 said:
maninahat said:
So I'm expecting the forum to be filled with people who are angry at this new inconvenience, whilst totally apathetic to piracy and utterly incapable of suggesting a way for the government to magically fix the problem.

Yes, it is annoying. But I'm willing to man up and accept that it is probably a necessary evil when there is no obvious solution to an endemic crime. Pointing out that this new warning will hardly solve piracy is not a good argument. You're saying that if one can't achieve a perfect result, there is no point in trying anything in the first place. That is not helpful.
Man up? You mean bend over.

This is called "punishing your paying customer" and actually encourages piracy. This is another case of the pirate getting the better product.

Oh and the whole "it doesn't have to be perfect" strawman was a nice touch.
A 10 second advert is comparable to being fucked in the ass? That's your idea of subjugation?

Look, piracy already has all the encouragement it needs, because PIRATES CAN GET WHATEVER THEY WANT FOR FREE. There is no better service than that. That incentive overrides any other reason. So claiming that a weak service creates more pirates, is a cheap excuse that pales in comparison to the real reason for piracy. No matter how good or bad the service is, the pirates will continue to steal for as long as they can.

Anti-piracy adverts want to challenge apathy and change public opinion against piracy. And so they should! You think that I am making a straw man of commentators, but I've seen it throughout this very thread. The industry has to do something about piracy, but these commentators would much prefer it if they did nothing - because this 10 second inconvenience for them is far greater issue than endemic copyright infringement and the devaluation of the entertainment industry. That's the kind of opinion that these ads have to fight.

If a good advert can discourage young people from taking up smoking, or drink driving or whatever, than why not a good anti-piracy ad? At the end of the day, my concern is whether they make a good advert, not whether they're making the ad at all.

Triangulon

Nov 20, 2009
Monoochrom said:
MelasZepheos said:
Yeah I think they should stop trying to inform people of the law and trying to uphold it. I mean, who needs laws and rules? They just get in the way of things.

I'm rapidly losing any sympathy I might have possessed for anyone even vaguely in support of piracy even by apathy and omission. Piracy is illegal. This is a statement you would think it is hard to misunderstand but apparently people really are idiots. I don't need to be reminded again and again that stealing from a shop is wrong, or that copying someone's intellectual property and passing it off as my own is wrong, or that burglary or murder or speeding or assault is wrong (I am not comparing piracy to any of those crimes, I am listing them as crimes I have never had to be reminded about) yet somehow people can't get the hint that when something is illegal, you shouldn't do it.
This may blow your mind, but something being illegal says precisely nothing about the morallity behind it.
This may blow your mind but your view on whether a law is moral or not doesn't mean you can choose whether or not to obey it.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Ah I'm actually still buying DVDs and get those all the time.
Every second at some unskippable screen spells "why? Why do you keep buying dvds?".
It becomes harder and harder to justify.

Who is the idiot that thought dvd players need such a feature to make things fucking unskippable anyway?
I'd like to... thank them. A lot. Manually!

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
loa said:
Every second at some unskippable screen spells "why? Why do you keep buying dvds?".

Who is the idiot that thought dvd players need such a feature to make things fucking unskippable anyway?
You can make a straight backup of a DVD and the unskippable parts will become skippable. Just sayin...

It's the DRM that prevents skipping, a backup sheds the DRM.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Crono1973 said:
loa said:

You can make a straight backup of a DVD and the unskippable parts will become skippable. Just sayin...

You see, this is where I feel gabe when he says that piracy is almost always a service problem.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
loa said:
Crono1973 said:
loa said:

You see, this is where I feel gabe when he says that piracy is almost always a service problem.
He is correct too. Honest people are willing to pay reasonable prices for something they want but if that something is not available, overpriced or punishes the paying customer, it drives even the most honest person to seek out the alternatives.

-Suppose you want to play a game not released in your country and suppose the console/handheld it was released on is not region free. What option are you left with?

-Suppose you want a legit copy of Disney's Aladdin but with Disney purposely keeping the movie so rare, you are left with the choice of ripping the neighbors copy or paying $100 for one online (that's an example, I don't know the real price).

-Suppose you buy a movie (Blu-Ray or DVD) and are left watching 30 minutes worth of ads and "don't be a pirate" warnings because the skip and menu buttons are disabled (you could manually fast forward though but most people don't know that nor should they have to do that).

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
maninahat said:
I'm not going to attempt to defend piracy from a moral standpoint. It is illegal and that's all there is to say. But when Hollywood and other major media industries are not only refusing to evolve with new technologies and, in fact, are actively trying to oppose them because they are afraid of competition that new business models would provide (we all remember the SOPA mess, but that is only the tip of the iceberg for all the unethical and, frankly, evil practices these companies employ in the name of profit), forgive me, but I will never pity the industries their losses. If they go down, creators will find new outlets. They always have. And with the internet, they have more chances for success even on their own.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
And they wonder why people buy bootlegs and just download it

30-40 bucks for the latest amazing bluray movie that you have to wait to get into vs
free movie, no trailers, dumb fuckin antipiracy warnings.

I mean as if Disney discs werent' enough with their endless trailers for movies before the bloody movie. What is this the VHS era?

General Karthos

Jul 19, 2008
The unskippable additional 10 second delay in front of DVDs makes children starving in Africa look like nothing in comparison.

Seriously though, yeah, it's irritating, but at least we don't have to be connected to the internet to watch DVDs.

Yet.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
RJ Dalton said:
maninahat said:
I'm not going to attempt to defend piracy from a moral standpoint. It is illegal and that's all there is to say. But when Hollywood and other major media industries are not only refusing to evolve with new technologies and, in fact, are actively trying to oppose them because they are afraid of competition that new business models would provide (we all remember the SOPA mess, but that is only the tip of the iceberg for all the unethical and, frankly, evil practices these companies employ in the name of profit), forgive me, but I will never pity the industries their losses. If they go down, creators will find new outlets. They always have. And with the internet, they have more chances for success even on their own.
SOPA wasn't made to combat new business models, it was a draconian attempt to make it easier for businesses to combat piracy. Don't get me wrong, its good that it got shot down, because it spelled trouble for perfectly innocent businesses who genuinely have nothing to do with copy write infringement. Eventually though, some kind of SOPA style law will have to be introduced if we are to see piracy curbed; one that will make it far easier for companies to target piracy and illegal torrenting, whilst protecting innocent web businesses (like this here website).

I expect one to appear within the next couple of years - one that may actually stick this time around. Despite all the knee-jerkery about internet censorship, these new laws serve a crucial purpose. People campaigned long and hard to stop SOPA, so maybe those same people could campaign to support alternative anti-piracy schemes - ones that do work.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Dandark said:
Farther than stars said:
Dandark said:
Clearly this will solve piracy. However could I have not realized that the way to combat piracy is to do the very thing that can help breed piracy. Luckily we had the US goverment to ignore evidence and logic as they are so good at doing.
Would you mind providing me with that evidence? I'd be very interested to see some of it. What's more, how does a ten-second-long warning breed piracy? Personally I don't think the average consumer stands there in the store going: "No, I want to buy this movie, but I won't because it will probably contain an anti-piracy message."
It doesn't really. People won't pirate because of a 10 second message.
It's just the whole idea that putting a message that say's piracy is bad in it will stop people, the reason a lot(not all) of people pirate is because it is so convienent.

Im mostly meaning games though, with annoying things like always online DRM and activation keys, people are more inclined to piracy.

As for films, this will make no difference but it seems like a waste of time to even bother trying.
See, that's what I thought. I didn't really think that the backlash to this minor news story was really appropriate for the issue, but more endemic of a larger issue with piracy and/or anti-piracy measures. I too disagree with DRM and the like, but that doesn't I'll say this message is born out of ignorance and incompetence, at least not without hard evidence. To that end, that's a 'no' on the evidence is it?

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
Triangulon said:
Monoochrom said:
MelasZepheos said:
Yeah I think they should stop trying to inform people of the law and trying to uphold it. I mean, who needs laws and rules? They just get in the way of things.

I'm rapidly losing any sympathy I might have possessed for anyone even vaguely in support of piracy even by apathy and omission. Piracy is illegal. This is a statement you would think it is hard to misunderstand but apparently people really are idiots. I don't need to be reminded again and again that stealing from a shop is wrong, or that copying someone's intellectual property and passing it off as my own is wrong, or that burglary or murder or speeding or assault is wrong (I am not comparing piracy to any of those crimes, I am listing them as crimes I have never had to be reminded about) yet somehow people can't get the hint that when something is illegal, you shouldn't do it.
This may blow your mind, but something being illegal says precisely nothing about the morallity behind it.
This may blow your mind but your view on whether a law is moral or not doesn't mean you can choose whether or not to obey it.
That's where Martin Luther King and Mahatma Gandhi would disagree with you.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
Am I the only one who saw unskippable in the title and was exepecting amusing voice overlay?

Alterego-X said:
Triangulon said:
Monoochrom said:
MelasZepheos said:

Adultery could be considered a crime, and Hitler was not an adulterer, so that means that YOU ARE HITLER, ORIGINAL POSTER!!! You see how I used your own troll logic against you like that? Welcome to the internet, since you seem to be new here.