More Unskippable Piracy Warnings for DVDs

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
TheBobmus said:
Andy Shandy said:
I prefer Ed Byrne's take on piracy:
<youtube=UHdhS2AiZ6A>

This music's so funky it makes me want to obey the law!
Damn you! You beat me to it.

This is one the main reasons I back up my dvds to my computer so can I watch them without going through all the piracy warnings. Which in itself is a pain; I don't know why having a digital copy of the dvd included has not become standard nowadays, since nearly everyone carries around some device that is capable of playing video.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
As long as pirates are delivering a better product, I'm not going to have sympathy for attempts to curb piracy. Putting crap like this on stuff that people bought ensures that pirates are delivering the better product.

How does effectively enforcing copyright harm the economy? Intellectual work isn't distributed as much; less people enjoy it due to being deterred by price. An economy isn't just money transactions. An economy is richness of experience as well. Higher prices for copyable goods cut into that richness of experience.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
The people in charge of the biggest organizations of the world just seem to get dumber and dumber =.=

Ironically I think people would actually buy the copies if they DIDN'T have those freaking unskippable warning's on them. People payed for a hard copy of the movie, not 20 minutes of unskippable ads >.>

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
tony2077 said:
hmm 10 seconds god some people are too impatient these days.
If it only was those 10 seonds nobody would be complaning. However all those anti-piracy warnings, ads and previews all add up to several minutes and it's getting longer and longer.

Spy_Guy

Mar 16, 2010
Hmmm...

I see this as an excellent opportunity for some enterprising individual to create Blu-ray players that completely ignore the "Unskippable"-flags... alternatively provide modding solutions for that sort of thing...

Feel free to steal pirate that idea, enterprising individuals.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Pirates don't pirate out of ignorance of the law. It's not like one day one of them will look at a legitimate movie and say, "oh my god.... it's illegal to not buy your movies?!? I'll stop right away!" People who buy legitimate DVD's and Blurays no doubt also realize that it's illegal to download your movie or buy it off of the street out of someones trunk. It's idiotic how these people think. These warnings have been around for a really long time, and more of them won't change anything. At least you could fast forward them on VHS. This is the movie equivalent of Ubishit DRM where legitimate buyers suffer while pirates prosper. Guess I'll just have to start doing with Blurays what I do with Ubisoft games. Buy them legitimately, download a cracked version and play that one.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Just wait. Soon it will be a half hour class followed by a multiple choice quiz. If you fail the quiz, you will be sent back to the beginning of it.

Hell... I find it annoying that I have to suffer through the commercials for the upcoming season of Heroes everytime I want to watch Season 4 of House. Seriously... Heroes failed as a show. I had to copy my own DVD so that I could watch the damn thing without seeing nearly 5 minutes of crap to watch 40 minutes of video.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Sgt Spaky: I believe the general public needs more education about media piracy!

Cpt McTard: Well Sargent, how would we go about making people more aware?

Sgt Spaky: It's obvious! We add more unskippable warnings to media so we can educate the people who DIDN'T pirate it.

Cpt McTard: ... GENIUS.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
JediMB said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
(wasn't Alan Wake pirated so much, the game was a commercial failure)
Speaking of which, my copy will finish downloading in a minute or two.

On Steam, that is. Considered getting it cheaper on GOG, but I really wanted the soundtrack in Steam's Collector's Edition.
Wait, what? Alan Wake is on GOG?

They really need to change their name.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
You know, I just realized... I bet a load of pirates are going to use this as an excuse. In reality they are just cheap assholes who need a punch in the face, but all my money says a ton of them will be using "they add too much at the start, so we pirate to fight the man and vote with our wallets" as their reasoning.

Namehere

Forum Title
May 6, 2012
Its amazing how many things can be linked to Ghostbusters, isn't it? I mean seriously, I made a Ghostbusters joke earlier and here comes another: ?I'll tell you what the effect is, it's pissing me off!? Now I just need a government official to tell me that maybe their theory is correct and the joke of this whole thing can be completed. Just don't leave in a fit. Like Pete, if you tell em they can keep the five bucks you better believe they will.

I tried to find a decent Youtube clip but the sound on the one I found was pretty bad so... that was the best I could do...

Fair use right? Right?

Kiardras

Feb 16, 2011
More, unskippable warnings won't do anything except piss people off and drive them to pirate. Same as DRM does.

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
Call up those LRR guys; have them stop doing Unskippables for video games and have them just do the intros to movies.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
So... Pirates won't ever see this message... and legitimate customers who didn't pirate it are inconvenienced by an unskippable add telling them not to pirate...

... I really don't think they thought this one through.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
Every time I'm forced to watch an anti-piracy add before being allowed to see a film I have paid for, the wording of the add tends to transform in my mind into "If you'd downloaded this film you'd be watching it by now!"...