More Unskippable Piracy Warnings for DVDs

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
As with every topic that comes up about these unskippable things, I feel obliged to post this image.

Anyway, do they not realise that people are annoyed by these and all these anti-piracy ads they have to wade through are more likely to make them pirate?
I'll do you one better:

Apr 24, 2008
lapan said:

This thread made me think of this picture. It's like DRM, all it does is annoy and scare away their legit customers.
That picture is perfect. I have been excited to watch a film so many times and then just aggravated and in a shitty mood by the time the disc has even given me the option to play the damn thing.

That skip forward icon appearing on the screen with a line through it feels like a giant "fuck you" from the industry.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
It's always so confusing to me why people do this stuff. If you were to download it for free you don't get a single interruption between you and your movie.

Maybe they should work on making entertainment more convenient.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations logos
Remember this one next time someone talks about the DHS, kiddies. One of their arms is being used as yet another attack dog for the major media companies. That's what it means to keep the homeland secure. Also, using your tax dollars to explain they need to spend more on protecting US copyrights [http://www.iprcenter.gov/reports/fact-sheets/the-anti-counterfeiting-trade-agreement_-fighting-piracy-and-counterfeiting-supporting-american-jobs-_-office-of-the-united-states-trade-representative.pdf/at_download/file], even if they already have stricter laws and enforcement than the US does.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Kamukazi said:
couldnt help but notice such FBI messages on australian dvds over here, didnt realise they had jurisdiction IN ANOTHER COUNTRY
Homeland Security: Every land is home to someone. Don't you want to feel secure?

Not to worry though. We're generous enough that we're willing to donate some TSA officers to your airports too.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
Trying to humanize ourselves in the public's eye isn't working... let's try to humanize ourselves HARDER!

Corporate America: blissfully ignorant of reality since 1950.

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
Great, an other reason to never buy dvd's again. If their plan is to kill the medium to stop piracy of it, then it looks like they're on the right track :p

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I don't buy DVDs anyway... So +1 for me XP

For some reason films don't really give much enjoyment even when they're really good. Weird.

Except I buy anime DVDs off Amazon but hey those don't count. Code Geass came out in 2006 so it belongs to the fun times of olde where there were no anti-piracy shenanigans in every single cinema and DVD ever XD

Now, if they were to put Lelouch into an anti-piracy advert...

"Lelouch Vi Britannia commands you... All of you, never download films illegally again!

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
It's interesting to see they realise they're only hurting the legitimate consumers, and that they're actively aiming at that. While I agree that that's a stupid idea, I don't see how society has become so obsessed with instant gratification that people can't wait a minute or two before watching their 2 hour movie. Yeah it's annoying and stupid, but it's not an excuse for piracy, just go pop some popcorn while you wait. Think about it, it could be worse, maybe we should be happy we don't have to put in a code before watching a movie or that it won't lock the DVD to a specific DVD player. I do like the IPR one, why can't they just replace all the other ones with only that? I'm sure no-one would complain about that.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
No, it's your poor distribution methods and pricing model that causes piracy, not a lack of information about what a crime is.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Man: 'Piracy is a real problem! How can we stop it?!'

Dumb twat who works for interchangeable film/game company: 'Perhaps we should badger the customers who have already paid by telling them they shouldn't pirate... yes... YEESSS.'

Man: 'Genius!'

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
My favorite example of anti-piracy having gone overboard is from a couple years ago back at university:

my proffesor came into class grumbling. Said his damn Iphone was just junk.

Apparently he'd bought some music via Itunes and downloaded it - but that music had been copy-protected to the point that he couldn't move it off his computer on to his Iphone!

I lol'd and patted my mp3 player.

As the jimquisition pointed out recently: media providers need to stop charging retail value for digitaly distributed content, and they need to stop treating everyone like would-be criminals

Gaben said it well in an article I read a while ago: Its all in the distribution. The big pic posted by lapan demonstrates perfectly how DVDs and blurays with 'locked' content and whatnot have reached rediculous levels... I don't buy a DVD to have my dvd-player be held hostage and me forced to watch ads and trailers that'll quickly become very obsolote and out of date

I'll pay for a movie. just the movie. and nothing but the movie.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
Preventing me from accessing the content on the DVDs I bought without sitting through a dozen piracy warnings is not a victimless crime, either.

ripdajacker

Code Monkey
Oct 25, 2009
Piracy is always a service issue, they should either give up completely or make a better product.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
To be reiterative, it's absurd. This is just more busy work to look like they're trying and to hide the fact that they don't have a clue how to curb the problem.

On the other hand. I don't use a DVD player. I use my laptop, and then plug it to the tv. This gives me the additional benefit of using AnyDVD and legally (I bought the program) skipping straight to the menu and also overcoming limited region switching of the dvd drive that on mobile devices and the age of global releases and shipping is completely backwards.

JayDub147

Jun 13, 2009
Criminals acting like dicks does not give the government or businesses the justification to do the same.