Morrowind 2011 Mod Collection Pulled After Complaints

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Morrowind 2011 Mod Collection Pulled After Complaints

The awesome-looking Morrowind 2011 mod collection has been taken off line following complaints and threats of legal action from several of the original mod authors.

On January 3, we Wordpress site [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106608-Morrowind-2011-Brings-New-Life-to-an-Old-Classic] that he was a little concerned that some mod authors might not be happy about being included in his compendium, although he added, "I do care about them [and] I have included a credits file in the zip."

His worry turned out to be very well-founded. The day after the mod collection was turned over to the public, Smith said he began to receive complaints and threats of legal action from various mod authors along with demands that he take the package offline. He was also banned and IP blocked from Bethesda's Morrowind forums [http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/forum/86-iii-morrowind/].

"I was kind of expecting some response but the head-hunting part was a bit more extreme than I was expecting," Smith said. He added that he was in the process of updating the credits in the mod collection but said that the complainants weren't interested in "reaching a middle ground."

That jibes with an email he received from one aggrieved mod author, who said that the list of credits is largely irrelevant. "The bottom line is that your compilation violates copyright law in about a dozen countries and a vast majority of the authors whose work was included aren't happy about it," he wrote. "Fixing the credits, nice as it may be, doesn't solve the issue of the whole package being illegal."

Smith was also accused of keeping the package under wraps until just before it was released and then contacting news sites in order to maximize publicity, a charge he denied. He claimed to have posted word about the project on Reddit "weeks ago" and had no hand in spreading the word to other sites. Not that it matters; Smith was asked (politely, for the record) to remove the collection and told that if he refused, Wordpress and any other site hosting the package would receive "DMCA and other applicable copyright takedown notices."

Smith said he was disappointed that he wasn't given a chance to correct the issues with the mod collection in some way that would make everyone happy, although whether or not that's even possible at this point looks rather doubtful. It would be nice if some accommodation could be reached, because the YouTube video promoting the collection pack looked mighty sweet. A discussion about the matter on the Morrowind forums was underway but appears to have been removed, so for now, we'll just have to sit back and see what happens next.

via: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/06/morrowind-2011-mod-pack-pulled-after-modders-raise-concerns/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fjoystiq+%28Joystiq%29]

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Fuck, I didn't get to download it yet. This sucks. Granted, he really should have asked for permission first, so I fully understand why this happened. But the mods are made for the community anyway and are available for free, so I don't understand why the response is so severe at all.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I hope he posts the usernames or emails of these assholes so they get spammed into oblivion and people know whos mods to stop supporting. I don't care who is right or wrong here, those people are fucking douchebags, plain and simple.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
What. The. Fuck?

What the hell happened here? Was someone making money from this?

Now I just wanna take the internet down as a whole and cure it from this sickening cancer.

Rascarin

Feb 8, 2009
I don't see why this is a problem, unless he's charging money for it (which I'm pretty sure violates the EULA anyway)?

You'd think the modders would be more pleased to have their work appreciated. But, at the same time, he really should have asked permisison first...

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Eri said:
I hope he posts the usernames or emails of these assholes so they get spammed into oblivion and people know whos mods to stop supporting. I don't care who is right or wrong here, those people are fucking douchebags, plain and simple.
Yeah, those people are douchbags for not wanting someone to compile their mod [that they spent a lot of time and effort on, and then released to the community] in a package without their permission...

I think you need a reality check - the mod creators aren't in the wrong here, what the guy did was illegal, and what's more he clearly [well according to this news post anyway] didn't ask permission from the modders in the first place - and he's gaining positive publicity from their work...there's nothing wrong with them threatening action against him.

If they didn't it would only encourage similar incidents - permission is important in the mod scene, and I assume, had he asked around, he'd have received the permission he sought, instead of incorrectly assuming the modders would be satisfied with his offer.

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
And thus Morrowind 2011 because the most reproduced Morrowind mod ever, spread around by countless 3rd parties who were all quoted as saying "seriously, fuck those guys."

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Popido said:
What. The. Fuck?

That's what I was thinking as I read this. Aren't mods, y'know, free? It's not like the guy was saying that he did all the work *personally*.

Wuffykins

Jun 21, 2010
Meh, I'm sure it was just a case of people believing that Mr. Smith was responsible for the entire package (really, I've read some of the comment threads over the internet, and a lot of people weren't aware that it was a compilation of mods, thinking instead that it's one giant one). Also, not many people end up reading the credits for these sort of things, so I can somewhat understand the original authors response. Then again, I've heard that more than a few of them were absolute prima donnas back in the day, so I'm not putting an opinion for who's at fault here.

Though the fix should be fairly simple as all he needs to do now is change his wordpress site to include download links for the mods individually along with the instructions to get it all set up (followed a guide like that a year ago or so, really helpful). True it'll take a little longer to get it all working, but you gotta admit it looks well worth the effort.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
I'm just curious as to what copyright laws and such were breached. Not that I am outright denying the validity of the accusers as I do not know the whole picture, but it sounded like a big compilation mod package with instructions to make it run all of those mods simultaneously for a better overall experience, not some for-profit download that he claimed as his own.

I have personally found Morrowind to be a royal bee-sting when trying to get multiple mods running and always would end up cutting down my "list of awesome!" to a scant few just so the game would not stutter to a halt. :(

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
D_987 said:
Eri said:
Yeah, those people are douchbags for not wanting someone to compile their mod [that they spent a lot of time and effort on, and then released to the community] in a package without their permission...

I think you need a reality check - the mod creators aren't in the wrong here, what the guy did was illegal, and what's more he clearly [well according to this news post anyway] didn't ask permission from the modders in the first place - and he's gaining positive publicity from their work...there's nothing wrong with them threatening action against him.
Reality check? I already said I don't care who's right or wrong. And guess what? Modding with no permission from dev and releasing it for others to use is illegal but that doesn't stop people.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Catalyst6 said:
Popido said:
What. The. Fuck?

That's what I was thinking as I read this. Aren't mods, y'know, free? It's not like the guy was saying that he did all the work *personally*.
Being free doesn't give anyone right to rip it off.
For example, I might give away free postcards of my paintings at my art gallery. As a method for attracting guests to come see my paintings in full. That doesn't give anyone the right to produce enlarged version of those cards and display them on the street, even if they give me credit.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
It's a pretty savage life being a modder, isn't it? All those hours into a project which may or may not get pulled, and now all that work down the drain (so to speak)...

Shame, it looks beautiful too.

EDIT: Never mind I just learned to read. On second thoughts since he's basically had no creative input and just meshed together a load of other people's work, I can't sympathise this time.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
FredTheUndead said:
And thus Morrowind 2011 because the most reproduced Morrowind mod ever, spread around by countless 3rd parties who were all quoted as saying "seriously, fuck those guys."
Ok, this is probably the exact reason the modders were not happy in the first place. First and foremost it's not a mod, it's a package containing other peoples mods. The incorrect notion that he created these mods [and to be honest that's the impression some gaming sites gave] would no doubt have angered those that took the time and effort to create said mods.

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
Some asshole being an asshole deprived me of a Morrowind that doesn't look like ass. Yay.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Eri said:
Reality check? I already said I don't care who's right or wrong. And guess what? Modding with no permission from dev and releasing it for others to use is illegal but that doesn't stop people.
And when they get caught, and threatened with legal issues they stop. That's what occurred here. Yes, you need a reality check as to who is in the wrong, since you seem to beleive provided the end user gains the goods it doesn't matter whom produced it. It does.

Misterpinky said:
Some asshole being an asshole deprived me of a Morrowind that doesn't look like ass. Yay.
That "asshole" likely made[/b one of the mods that stopped Morrowind look like ass... -_-

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Eri said:
D_987 said:
Eri said:

While I do agree with you, uh... they released the Modkit for the game, for people to mod it. Modding games like Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas is perfectly legal...

Phyroxis

Witty Title Here
Apr 18, 2008
Get it while you still can, its still up for download at at least one site here:
http://news.bigdownload.com/2011/01/04/download-morrowind-2011-mod-compendium-1-0/

I don't even have Morrowind yet, but will stow this mod on my hard drive until I do. =P