Mortal Kombat Review

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Mortal Kombat Review

Mortal Kombat kind of lost its mind for a while, but it's feeling much, much better now.

Read Full Article

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
I really enjoy this game. It's actually the first fighter game I've played with any continuity, and it's great. It's quite easy to just pick up a controller and start playing. The story mode is a good amount of fun. My only problem are the 1v2 fights which can be ridiculous.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
So this is the kind of video where you don't ask for my date of birth? Why, that makes perfect sense! Put an age-gate on harmless stuff but not here!

Anyway, looks like a fun game, but the gore is a little too much for my taste. It made me cringe a bit to just watch the video.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Sinclose said:
Good review, but I thought the reason why the 10th tournament is very important is because it requires ten consecutive wins to invade another realm, and their main enemy has already won 9 successive times? Also, babalities are still in the game. Dunno about the others though.

I'm not a big fan of fighting games, but I gotta say, all the info I saw about the game caught my interest.
Ah, perhaps you're right about why the 10th is so fired-up important. The thing about the babalities is now MK has a very wink-and-a-nod feel to it. It knows it's being silly and is just fine with that - exactly the right attitude for this series.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Finally. I was really worried there would be no MK review at all.

So... Glad to hear it's good, but I have one important question - how's the balance? Is there any overpowered character, or one who you shouldn't even bother playing with? It's important to me, because every time I pick up a fighter, it turns out I'm taking the crappiest guy of the bunch (Anji Mito in GG, Tager in BlazBlue [although I managed to skill up with him, so at least I'm able to beat up my friends and sometimes even compete on-line], Rock in Soul Calibur III & IV etc.)

AroLombardi

Apr 16, 2009
Oh God yes Susan. The ending of the video assured you as my favorite reviewer.

Anyways, does it still have all the characters from previous ones? Because I rented Armageddon and took a liking to Blaze.

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
Ordered a copy of this today, might not get it till next tuesday though. Thanks Royal Wedding and May Day... Looks surprisingly good though. Haven't really played a mortal kombat game since back on the playstation.

Edit: Anyone know how long the story mode is, by the way?

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
I thought the fatalities were easier to pull off then ever (they have been simplified), but that's just me.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Emphasis on "Rip you in Half", Susan

this game is to splitting bodies what Dead or Alive games are to boobs

fuck you Noob Saibot

FUCK.YOU

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Yossarian1507 said:
Finally. I was really worried there would be no MK review at all.

So... Glad to hear it's good, but I have one important question - how's the balance? Is there any overpowered character, or one who you shouldn't even bother playing with? It's important to me, because every time I pick up a fighter, it turns out I'm taking the crappiest guy of the bunch (Anji Mito in GG, Tager in BlazBlue [although I managed to skill up with him, so at least I'm able to beat up my friends and sometimes even compete on-line], Rock in Soul Calibur III & IV etc.)
It's impossible to make any comments on balance yet since the game hasn't been out long enough and tiers and such only really become relevant at really high levels of play. From my experience though, the game is fairly balanced because most characters have the same basic tools and projectiles aren't the huge deal that they are in say SFIV. That being said, characters with a quick dependable teleport you can use to to punish from any range have a little bit of an edge.

EDIT: The only characters I actively dislike right now are Kano (because his inputs are just weird) and Kitana.

Also. I'm a fellow Tager player and hey, at least he's better than Rachel.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
AroLombardi said:
Oh God yes Susan. The ending of the video assured you as my favorite reviewer.

Anyways, does it still have all the characters from previous ones? Because I rented Armageddon and took a liking to Blaze.
Looking at the Wikipedia, no. The roster have most of the fighters from MK3 + Quan Chi from MK4, and Cyber Sub-Zero (WTF? I'm curious about that one) + DLC brings up Kenshi from MK: Deadly Alliance.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Ha! I was hoping Susan Arendt would do the MK review :D

I think the last MK game I played with MK3 (or maybe it was MK3 Ultimate Edition or whatever put most of the old characters back in).

AroLombardi

Apr 16, 2009
Yossarian1507 said:
Looking at the Wikipedia, no. The roster have most of the fighters from MK3 + Quan Chi from MK4, and Cyber Sub-Zero (WTF? I'm curious about that one) + DLC brings up Kenshi from MK: Deadly Alliance.
Cyber.... Sub-Zero? And that's a little disappointing. Armageddon may have not been the best, but it certainly got points for bringing together most if not all of the (real) characters.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Grey Carter said:
It's impossible to make any comments on balance yet since the game hasn't been out long enough and and such only really become relevant at really high levels of play. From my experience though, the game is fairly balanced because most characters have the same basic tools and projectiles aren't the huge deal that they are in say SFIV. That being said, characters with a quick dependable teleport you can use to to punish from any range have a little bit of an edge.

Also. I'm a fellow Tager player and hey, at least he's better than Rachel.
1) Awesome.

2) Good for me with teleports. I decided to pick Sektor after looking at the roster, and he has a teleport attack, if I remember correctly the E3 gameplay.

3) I guess you're talking about Continuum Shift where apparently they nerfed her hard (looking at the online tiers, I don't have CS). In Calamity Trigger, Rachel is extremely powerful in right hands (I can't do shit with her, but online players usually don't let me even close the distance to her).

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
Sinclose said:
Akihiko said:
Ordered a copy of this today, might not get it till next tuesday though. Thanks Royal Wedding and May Day... Looks surprisingly good though. Haven't really played a mortal kombat game since back on the playstation.

Edit: Anyone know how long the story mode is, by the way?
4-5 hours, I believe, depending on how good you are. With a good story too, it's not just a string of dumb excuses to keep the fights going-there are interesting plot twists and such.
Not too bad then for a fighter. Most don't even give you a story at all.