Mortal Kombat Review

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Eldarion said:
Susan Arendt said:
Azmael Silverlance said:
I thought it was a bit weird that a woman was reviewing the game.
Uh, why? Admittedly, my fighting game tastes tend more toward the Guilty Gear/Blazblue realm,
As someone who loves the crap out of guilty gear/blazblue I got to ask, how does this game compare?

I'm looking to get into other fighters but the last one I tried (street fighter 4) was a disappointment.
Completely different headspace required. Those games embrace the weird, and are fast-fast-fast. MK is less frenetic...it's Sylvester Stallone to Jet Li, if you will.

lazarus1209

Mar 17, 2011
Does anyone else feel like they're back in the 90's? Right now I'm rockin' some Mortal Kombat and in a few months hopefully I'll be blasting space pigs in Duke Nukem. Then, to wrap up the year, I'll be driving around a demented ice cream truck in Twisted Metal.

Seriously, I think I just hopped into my Delorean and hit 88.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Azmael Silverlance said:
Susan Arendt said:
Azmael Silverlance said:
Well Susan i know you are a gamer and all....but just opening the Mortal Kombat review and hearing a female voice i dont know....
Your reaction to the fatality was cute...but i guess thats the issue :D
Your not suppose to be all cute and cuddly in mortal kombat...id expect F bombs and disturbing comments about how you gona pwn your opponent :D
I am always cute and cuddly. It cannot be helped! Well, except when playing Lego Star Wars: The Clone Wars...then I scare my dog.

So....your dog is not bothered by guts and broken bones....but LEGO cubes and his owner freak him out? o_O
She gets upset when I yell, because she knows that means mommy is mad. And Lego Clone Wars made me yell. A lot.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
This is the game that finally made me feel like an adult. I watched all of the fatalities on YouTube and just thought "huh, yup, that's some fatalities right there". There was none of the "awww, cooooooooool!" sort of reaction that I had as a kid watching the early entries in the series.

That said: it looks like a great game if you're into that sort of thing. I'm not particularly (and, yes, that's because I'm completely incompetent at them) but no doubt my brother's gonna be raving about it.

KaiusCormere

Mar 19, 2009
Regarding the AI cheating :
As sub-zero, or Cyber Sub Zero, the AI will only ever hit your ice clone if it was mid-jump toward you. I know as a player I can't always stop myself in time, but the AI can.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
HK_01 said:
So this is the kind of video where you don't ask for my date of birth? Why, that makes perfect sense! Put an age-gate on harmless stuff but not here!

Anyway, looks like a fun game, but the gore is a little too much for my taste. It made me cringe a bit to just watch the video.
I'm guessing you saw Noob Saibot's fatality and Kung Lao's impression of Gold finger from James Bond huh? Hehehe this game made me orgasm with excitement the moment I saw gore!

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
strangeotron said:
Why did this review ignore mention of the terrible online? Don't you think that's relevant?
If the game can stand on single player and does well with local multiplayer then I agree the online needs to be addressed. However I take Yahtzee's side when it comes to the online segment. Don't bother with it if the person you're playing against isn't within slapping range.

LOL I've yet to see a game where the online segment doesn't have a crappy and cheap feel to it.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Right up front: I'm not the biggest MK fan.

But I think this game is at very least good. It has lots of value for money too - as fighting games go. You can tell a lot of effort has gone in to this title and it shows.

I don't agree on the models being ugly though... I thought that they are pretty good (and intricate! All the innards for each character!) and the backgrounds deserve a mention too, whilst talking about the visuals.

You could get much worse and if you're only a casual fighting game player, I would actually say this is the best choice of a fighting game compared to the current selection of fighting game titles.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
strangeotron said:
Madara XIII said:
strangeotron said:
Why did this review ignore mention of the terrible online? Don't you think that's relevant?
If the game can stand on single player and does well with local multiplayer then I agree the online needs to be addressed. However I take Yahtzee's side when it comes to the online segment. Don't bother with it if the person you're playing against isn't within slapping range.

LOL I've yet to see a game where the online segment doesn't have a crappy and cheap feel to it.
This is ridiculous. The game has an online component: a significant part of the onverall game experience, regardless of how you yourself might choose to play the game. And one that was highly anticipated by a lot of people. I don't care what Yahtzee says, too many peopel on these boards blow smoke up his ass far too often; he knows nothing about MK or fighting games as is self evident.

It's part of the game, it should work properly like every other component. That it doesn't is a considerable factor and one many people thinking about playing would be wise to discover beforehand. That this silly woman who knows fuck all about these games reviewing chose to ignore the state of the online is a considerable oversight.

Next time, do your job better please.
Well I can see where you're coming from, but the reason why I say what I say about online segments is that I've had my fair share of bad experiences (bout 70% of the time), but one fighting game that proved online could be fun and actually worthy of my time was Marvel Vs Capcom 3....yet that still had it's flaws. Secondly I hope you don't get a ban for talking smack about an Escapist staff. Lord knows their double standards when it comes to bad mouthing someone.

Jamienra

Nov 7, 2009
I love MK. I would say the fighting is hte best it's ever been but Midway still haven't topped Konquest from MK:Deception

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
MonkeyPunch said:
Right up front: I'm not the biggest MK fan.

But I think this game is at very least good. It has lots of value for money too - as fighting games go. You can tell a lot of effort has gone in to this title and it shows.

I don't agree on the models being ugly though... I thought that they are pretty good (and intricate! All the innards for each character!) and the backgrounds deserve a mention too, whilst talking about the visuals.

You could get much worse and if you're only a casual fighting game player, I would actually say this is the best choice of a fighting game compared to the current selection of fighting game titles.
Oh, the locations are fantastic and yes, the X-ray moves are also all really great. But anything in a cut scene? Yeeeesh....really pretty damn awful. Certainly not enough to make you not want to go through the story mode, but definitely noticeable.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Don't take it seriously?

I guess I can't when Johnny Cage can get a blade in his eye and out the back of his skull and he still keeps going.

Jeez, and I thought people standing after Kano breaking both their femurs was crazy.

Haven't been following this that closely but maybe I'll get it later.