Most awesome national anthem?

7moreDead_v1legacy

Feb 17, 2009
Deathsong17 said:
7moreDead said:
*Stands up*

*edit*
Changed video to one with some music and some words.
Doesn't it just grind your gears when people mistakenly say that Bread of Heaven is the national anthem?
Majorly so...It's nearly as bad as getting called English!
*Edit* No idea why I wrote slow instead of so -.-

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Guffe said:
Macgyvercas said:
I'm going to say France, simply because they are killing someone pretty much every other line.

It's better than the US anthem at any rate. Ours was written to the tune of a drinking song.
Oh, I thought Finland was the only one who accomplished this. Happy we're not alone out there ^^
Which one? Killing someone every other line or being written to the tune of a drinking song?

Bohemian Waltz

Oct 3, 2010
In Soviet Russia Techno, Remixes YOU!

Though I'm rather partial to the Turkish & Algerian national anthem because they're freaking metal.

jezcentral

Nov 6, 2007
My own British National Anthem is the best, of course. :)

All the older classic anthems rock, though. The old USSR is a great example. Our unofficial English anthem Land Of Hope And Glory is another bombastic, we're-better-than-you-cos-we're-[insert nationality here] classic, like Germany's "Deutschland uber alles" or England's other classic "Rule Britannia!".

I don't think much of the US Anthem, but that is ONLY because I have never heard it sung properly. Anthems should be sung as if you are a soldier going into battle (that's the rousing mood we should be going for, anyway, but this is the reason I think the French one doesn't work so well, too jaunty). If I saw someone trilling "God Save The Queen" the way I've seen some American "star" yodel "Star-spangled banner", I'd fight through the crowd and pull them off the stage myself.

I don't mean any offense to the French and US, if I picked on your anthem, it's just because I knew of it. I'm positive there are worse, like I'm not sure about the new Russian anthem, which suffers in comparison to its previous incarnation.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Madblood Battle Anthem. [http://www.narbonic.com/MadbloodBattleAnthem.mp3]

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
America's anthem is the greatest, if only because it will bomb all the defenseless anthems into submission since it's the only one that has bombs and rockets hehe.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Well, since I don't really know any other anthems, I have to go and say America's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ETrr-XHBjE

But we all know that at some point in time there's going to some sort of sex scandal that'll force us to change the anthem to 'America, Fuck Yeah!' or something hugely epic composed by Hans Zimmer. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA6zH7gKSr4]

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Like the Soviet National Anthem best, especially the techno remix, which is brilliant.

Few Brit's like their national anthem, but i do like Rule Brittania, as imperial and outdated as it is, it's a very rousing song. Great for big stadiums.

Also like Jerusalem, which i think they sometimes sing at cricket games. Anyway, here's Bruce Dickinson's version:

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Boemmel said:
Although I really like the European Anthem, technically, us crazy Europeans still have sovereign countries each with their own National Anthems :)

Also, I do no think the European Anthem is really used all that much in that function, I think if you really want to take an anthem with pan-european appeal, I think this one might be much better (although also not technically a national anthem ;)

<youtube=BgomX3qD-iA>
Hear hear! I always get the chills when watching important Champions League football matches and I hear this. And welcome to the Escapist!

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Cmwissy said:
Yeah, so - What do you think is the best national anthem? The clue is in the title.

Personally I would have to go with one of these three -

Seriously, it's just horrible.

DUuuuuuuuuuude That European Union Anthem Made my ears Orgasm!! That has to be one of the best anthems of all time.

Skelebob124156

May 19, 2010
Ruffythepirate said:
"America, fuck yeah" from Team America. Seriously USA, why have you not yet adopted that song as your national anthem?
Just thinking the same thing.

I do like the Soviet National anthem (the 80's version)
Strangely the Nazi one is quite good too (I'm not a Nazi).

Bohemian Waltz

Oct 3, 2010
Anybody else think the Turkish & Algerian national anthems sound eerily like a real life version of the Imperial March?
(Hint: Listen closely to the start of the Algerian one.)

Coldie

Oct 13, 2009
Yeah, I'll go with the Soviet one, too.

It was made of so much raw awesomeness that after soviet regime ended, Russian Federation reused it, although with somewhat different lyrics. Also it was featured as combat music for the war-time Leningrad level in Painkiller and it was glorious.

Now excuse me, I think I've got something in my eye.

P.S. European Union cheated, they just used Beethoven! It's hard to compete with classical music.