Most depressing movie you ever saw

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
Let's see...

Gran Torino, but that was cos I was already miserable.
Sucker Punch, cos the ending came out of nowhere.

But the winner has to be, despite it's uplifting moments: Forest Gump. I am convinced that people who don't get upset during at least one part of this film need to go and spend some quality time doing soul enriching activities... like watching Forest Gump again for example.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
TermOfEndearment said:
qeinar said:
made us watch it in school. not really that sad.
While everyone is moved differently, I am a bit shocked that
a 15 year old being kidnapped, raped repeatedly, and eventually committing suicide isn't shocking to you.

And there's the whole: her parents abandon her, her entire school and friends leave her and call her a slut, her only 8 year old friend who is beaten at home ends up killing himself with pills and vodka.
Depressing, just not that depressing to me. and yeah everyone is moved differently. ^^ well i rarely get depressed by movies. : p before i saw the movie i had already seen some documentaries from russia about really horrible parents where the police would come in at the middle of the day and just have to take the kids from them because they parents are drunk of their ass while the kids are watching cartoons on the telly. (not that these things only happen in russia..)

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
Two spring to mind:

Watchmen: Hours and hours of people saying the world has gone downhill since the good old days, and ends with one of the former heroes committing mass murder in the name of every country in the world pretending to like one another, and then the implication it's all going to be reversed.

Watership Down: The film opens with some narration saying "All the world will be your enemy...and when they catch you they will kill you." and ends with the very same narration, and in the middle, precisely that happens.

Though I like both those films since they're respectively about superheroes and fluffy rabbits and what would really happen. I was badly in need of inhaling laughing gas after watching both.

Edit: Very Ninja'd on Watership Down.

senorfatso

Jul 26, 2008
Madara XIII said:
That Greek Guy said:
So, like the title says, what is the movie that after you were done watching it made you feel the most emo. The movie that made you for a day forget about all the good things in life.

Aronofsky's Requiem For A Dream
and
Black Swan

If you want to feel completely depressed about how harsh the world can be then those 2 movies are it.

God, I still can't get over Requiem for a Dream.
Nothing made me feel more low than Requiem for a Dream. There was like, what, three or four fates worse than death in that?

Dunno about Black Swan though, I just thought it was beautiful and balls to the wall, like a good ballet should be.

New Vegas Samurai

Dec 12, 2010
ZeZZZZevy said:
Avaholic03 said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
probably Children of Men

I don't care how hopeful the end was supposed to be, that movie was just depressing
Hmmm, I didn't really expect someone to ninja that one. I must agree wholeheartedly. Whereas movies like Schindler's List and others mentioned in this thread made me feel sad, Children of Men really made me feel mostly numb. I just sat there listening to the soundtrack over the end credits, utterly depressed.
I stumbled upon it on Syfy
I first thought it was another of those Syfy original movies, but was surprised to find a well written, albeit depressing, movie
Yeah,
Children of Men was a really under advertised and underplayed movie... The whole thing was shot with single shot scenes in mind

DrScoobs

Mar 6, 2009
children of men was bleak in every single way possible. only a small hint of optimism was shown at the very end, amidst all the confusion and uncertanty that was the two leads were experiencing...

Sinathor

Mar 16, 2011
Requiem for a Dream, Polytechnique, Nobody Knows, Lilja 4-ever

Those came to my mind from the top of my head. There are lots of sad movies but those are movies that I found truly depressing.

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
Haven't really watched that much depressing movies (and the few I have have mostly been mentioned), but two that spring to mind are "Momento" and "Shutter Island".

Momento because of the fact that he's being manipulated by everyone (including himself), and Shutter Island because of the whole "Which would be worse, to live as a monster or to die as a good man?" ending thing where he's going to lobotimise himself.

thest3alth

Aug 31, 2008
Blade Runner and A Beautiful Mind. Blade Runner because of how... desolate it felt at the end, and A Beautiful Mind because of how his life crumbled around him, but he came to realised it never even existed.

Wareshinobu

Apr 25, 2011
A few have already posted it, but yes, definately Children of Men. I thought it was a good movie, but it just kept getting bleaker until that one tiny moment at the very end

senorfatso

Jul 26, 2008
New Vegas Samurai said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
Avaholic03 said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
probably Children of Men

I don't care how hopeful the end was supposed to be, that movie was just depressing
Hmmm, I didn't really expect someone to ninja that one. I must agree wholeheartedly. Whereas movies like Schindler's List and others mentioned in this thread made me feel sad, Children of Men really made me feel mostly numb. I just sat there listening to the soundtrack over the end credits, utterly depressed.
I stumbled upon it on Syfy
I first thought it was another of those Syfy original movies, but was surprised to find a well written, albeit depressing, movie
Yeah,
Children of Men was a really under advertised and underplayed movie... The whole thing was shot with single shot scenes in mind
Children of Men really played to the merits of cinematography in creating a Dystopian world. It was really great how it built such a seemingly real world despite hardly explaining the politics of the society at all. The death scenes felt really poignant too. Good shout guys.

ThongBonerstorm

Feb 22, 2010
believer258 said:
The first few minutes of "Up".

God, that was saddening. It made me think "what the hell is the point of happiness if, in the end, you're just going to be sadder than before"?

Sadly, I didn't get to finish the movie so I need to do that sometime.
This. I was coming in here to say just that. Its really bad (for making you sad, its a good movie). Even throughout it keeps bringing things up that make you go 'Sad Panda'. My Girlfriend was bawling for a while.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

Most movies mentioned in this thread I've seen, none come close to this if you ask me.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Moon

It's damn good but that movie had me shed some manly tears multiple times.