Most depressing movie you ever saw

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
on the subject of depressing, the ending of the newest south park episode was pretty depressing.. o_O

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
Depardieu's version of Cyrano de Bergerac. It's really the absolute saddest of the big three Cyrano movies:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhr3fh_cyrano-s-last-words_shortfilms

Watch it. I dont speak french, but the language is still beautiful enough for me to appreciate it. And Depardieus acting is just astounding.

I have a personal relationship with this movie, because, you see, I too have a big, long nose.

Also, I think someone already mentioned it, but Synecdoche, New York.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
The Iron Giant, when I was a kid. I always cried so much at the ending, despite the fact that it wasn't completely dark and sad.

Also, Requiem For A Dream, now that's a depressing movie.

albear

May 18, 2009
When the wind blows
Every imagine what your Grandparents would do while slowly dying of radiation poisioning.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090315/

and as many have said before me Grave of the Fireflies

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I'm going to have to go with Downfall, the part where the main character dies was heartbreaking...

On a serious note, Grave of the Fireflies, made worse by me having a little sister.

Alyssacubi

Oct 18, 2010
GameMaNiAC said:
The Iron Giant, when I was a kid. I always cried so much at the ending, despite the fact that it wasn't completely dark and sad.

Also, Requiem For A Dream, now that's a depressing movie.
The Iron giant, oh god, I cried over that when I was a young girl. <3

Thank you, i'm now going to have to dig out this movie and watch it again. <3

Andarvi

Feb 28, 2011
The Road by John Hillcoat

.. how a real post apocalyptic world would look like.. and it sucks big time.

Ris

Mar 31, 2011
ElectroJosh said:
Okay I'll trump all of the movies listed so far (because I have seen the majority).

Although Dancer in the Dark comes close, the movie that is even more depressing than that: Breaking the Waves. Its made by Von Trier (who made Dancer in the Dark) and is quite a brilliant film but be warned it includes:

-A worse outcome for the main character than Requiem for a Dream
-More injustice done to innocents than Grave of Fireflys
-Greater sense of despair that Dancer in the Dark

Watch it and enjoy
Good lord, I didn't think it could get any worse than Dancer In The Dark. Thank you Sir/Madam, I look forward to getting hold of this and allowing it to ruin my weekend (in the best possible way).

Coaxill

Dec 22, 2009
It's not the most tragic, but a movie named Amores Perros comes to mind. It's pretty much 3 stories that all tie together, and all of them demonstrate injustice and human interaction at its worst.
Another one that comes to mind is Good bye Lenin.

Movies that I've heard other people mention that are really sad are
Grave of the Fireflies and A.I.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
CM156 said:
Schindler's list

Anyone else who has seen this movie can attest to the reasons I was crying like a newborn child at the end.
absolutely amazing film but so sad, i was watching it my history class and i was trying with all my might not to burst into tears

tokae

Mar 21, 2011
I was just reminded of the most depressing movie I have ever seen. And I mean it.
It touches me more deeply than any other movie has been able too.

I give you, Watership Down

And I do mean the old one. The new one has merit sure, but it's not the same, not even close.

pezmanon

Feb 6, 2011
Let the right one in. It's in Swedish and I watched it subtitled. It's a really good film but sooo depressing.

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
The Road it was just depressing there are a few glimmers of hope but those get crushed and then theres the ending probably one of the saddest things I have ever seen.