Most depressing movie you ever saw

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
mazzjammin22 said:
The end of Toy Story 3 or the end of Million Dollar Baby. I just lost it.
CRAP!! I can't believe I forgot Toystory 3.

I mean million dollar baby was hella depressing, but Toystory.... It was like watching your childhood slowly leave you. Watching the few remnants you held onto of your happiest days leave you...

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
Madara XIII said:
mazzjammin22 said:
The end of Toy Story 3 or the end of Million Dollar Baby. I just lost it.
CRAP!! I can't believe I forgot Toystory 3.

I mean million dollar baby was hella depressing, but Toystory.... It was like watching your childhood slowly leave you. Watching the few remnants you held onto of your happiest days leave you...
Damn it, man, you're getting me choked up again.

Gemore

Sep 15, 2010
Gxas said:
I wanted to throw myself off of a bridge after watching 500 Days of Summer.

Same with after No Strings Attached.

I'm such a hopeless romantic. Chick flicks and RomComs get me every time, no matter how cheesy (looking at you Valentine's Day).
I only had to watch the trailer of 500 days of summer to make me want to cry. I wikied it later and realised that i was right to guess i wouldnt like it for ^ reason

Klarinette

May 21, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
The Land Before Time

I can't even listen to the intro music without tearing up...

'You're never alone, Little Foot'
I just watched that again today. Yeah... it's sad. Feels hopeless a lot. Such a good movie, though. I love Don Bluth's movies.

TheLaofKazi said:

The second part, I Am So Proud of You, is especially shattering. It's not on Youtube though.
Okay... there were parts of that I'm sure I was supposed to laugh at (e.g. bacteria-ridden crotches in all the goddamn produce), but that was pretty depressing. And kind of confusing, actually.

Given my current emotional state, I should not be drinking right now, especially since I'm about to watch some of the recommended movies on this thread...

neversleep

Dec 4, 2009
Mike leigh's Naked, that main characters soul is so lost it'll leave you depressed for days
L'enfant a belgian film (i'm belgian) about a bottom class thief and his girlfriend who sells their child and has to get it back
Requiem for a dream
The fountain
black swan
Pi (I wonder if aronofsky ever smiles in day to day life)
Pan's Labyrinth (beautifully sad ending)
The orphanage (ghosts would've been better)
Enter the void a whole movie shot from first person but the character is a junk and dies in the first ten minutes (no spoiler, thats in the trailer) and we see how he sees death. Scary, trippy and sad all in one.
The virgin suicides, not exactly a tear jerker but it will have you thinking about life and feel weird for at least a day. One of my favorite movies ever

The hours, even if the setting and the story don't really interest you, it's that well made that you'll feel it's message

and Donnie darko while not the saddest ending in the world it is a sad ending and the song at the end is a real tear jerker
theres a good chance i wouldn't put it in here if it wasn't one of my favorite movies ever but still.

neversleep

Dec 4, 2009
mannaroth said:
Wow, really? Looked through the whole thread. OLDBOY!!!!!! Damn that is the most depressing movie and if you're sad before you get into it I warn you, you might kill yourself at the end. Seriously the most depressing and most evil film of all time hands down!
Watch Park Chan-Wooks other films. They are all beautiful and sympathy for mr vengeance is even sadder.

It's about a deaf blind guy kidnapping a kid so he can get money for a kidney transplant for his sister because he got his money and own kidney robbed after he tried to donate his own kidney via street organ dealers. The movie actually get's way way worse and sadder after that.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Legends of the Fall. Something horrible happens, then something else horrible happens, then....you get the idea. I still don't understand that movie, it was just a bunch of random depressing shit. Didn't make me sad, though, just angry that there was no payoff. In real life we suffer for nothing. In fiction there is generally some kind of compensation, even if unequal to the suffering.

Grave of the Fireflies. I am an unfeeling cynic and this one hit me right between the lungs.

Requiem for a Dream. Wow, man. Just wow.

Rom-Coms get special mention. I dislike the entire genre because the particular brand of happy lies they employ is just close enough to reality to be fully plausible while remaining just far enough from it to be impossible. In a Rom-Com the couple may dislike each other initially but they always make a connection later. In real life the woman just tells you to piss off, then goes back to what she was doing, and that's it. It's a "Wouldn't it be great if...yeah, but it never will" moment.

Now, movies are designed to create that feeling -- yeah, I'd love to download kung fu into my brain, or have the strength to crush steel -- but when you finish one of those more outlandish pieces of fiction you file it firmly under "Impossible" and go back to your day. Rom-Coms are different because they stray too close to the boundary of possibility. That their scenarios should be possible yet aren't is maddening.

mannaroth

Aug 19, 2009
Watch Park Chan-Wooks other films. They are all beautiful and sympathy for mr vengeance is even sadder.

It's about a deaf blind guy kidnapping a kid so he can get money for a kidney transplant for his sister because he got his money and own kidney robbed after he tried to donate his own kidney via street organ dealers. The movie actually get's way way worse and sadder after that.
Don't worry I got it and Lady Vengeance and am watching them soon.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
Never Let Me Go is insanely depressing. but it has keira knightly! but it's still depressing. i don't think i smiled for like a week.

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
ElectroJosh said:
robotam said:
Haven't really watched that much depressing movies (and the few I have have mostly been mentioned), but two that spring to mind are "Momento" and "Shutter Island".

Momento because of the fact that he's being manipulated by everyone (including himself), and Shutter Island because of the whole "Which would be worse, to live as a monster or to die as a good man?" ending thing where he's going to lobotimise himself.
From the movies you mentioned I am going to recommend a personal favourite of mine called "Oldboy" - I think you should watch it (I am assuming you enjoyed the two films you mentioned because if you didn't like them then stay far away from "Oldboy").

If you watch it - make sure you don't get it spoilered for you (btw it is subtitled from Korean).
I finally got round to watching Oldboy. I thought I should track down this comment and say thanks. Was great.

ElectroJosh

Aug 27, 2009
robotam said:
I finally got round to watching Oldboy. I thought I should track down this comment and say thanks. Was great.
You are most welcome.

Some of Park's other films have been recommended on this page as well and are worth checking out (they aren't plot-twisty like Oldboy - but are still great).

Number-14

Dec 13, 2010
RaikuFA said:
the illusionist. the french one

MAGICIANS DO NOT EXIST
Oh yeah I was trying to remember depressing movies and that was one of them.

Another depressing movie is Final Fantasy Spirits Within, I wish that wasn't the only way to destroy whatever that thing was. From there, just flat out blue.

Hannabella Doe

May 7, 2011
For me it would have to be schindler's list. Never has a movie give me hope for humanity and also make me lose hope for humanity all at the same time. Also Toy Story 2, escpecially with that song (CURSE YOU SARAH MCLACHLAN! )

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
As others have said, Grave of the Fireflies... I was actually angry at the protagonist in the end for the stupid decisions he'd made! =(

Black Swan as well was pretty depressing. Also Donnie Darko but it wasn't as bad since I didn't understand any of it.