Most devastating loss of a save file

MasterMasamune

May 3, 2012
Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Somehow, when I was playing a game (can't remember which), it crashed. I powered the console back on to find the disc drive had crapped out. Fortunately, I was able to copy the majority of my save files onto an SD card. Unfortunately, Brawl, for whatever reason, wouldn't. Instead of sending the console in for repairs, my parents thought it'd be a great idea to just buy a new one. I'd completed the game 100% before, and now I had to do it all. Over. AGAIN. Fan-fucking-tastic.

TheColdHeart

Sep 15, 2008
I thankfully haven't had any severe losses of save files in a long time. Although I'll always remember being about 11-12 and I'd put hundreds and hundreds of hours into The Sims. Loads of massive houses, people with great jobs, people I'd spent forever developing etc. One day I turned the game on and the entire neighbourhood wasn't there, vanished from existence back to the default. My other ones were still there and I was really upset.
I tried explain to my parents what happened as best as a distraught child can to parents who don't really care for games, but I'm sure I just came across as if I was insane.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
I haven't really had any saves lost that were really all that bad. Not that I can recall anyway.

Not even in a Bethesda game.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Pokémon Yellow. I still don?t know how it happened, but one day, I put in my cartridge and my near-complete Pokedex, with a kick-ass level 100 Machoke, was all gone.

Wario Land 3. On holiday visiting my extended family, my three-year-old cousin accidentally deleted my save data. I had difficulty suppressing my rage at that time.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Last one I had was dungeon siege 3 on the 360 (got it for 2 pounds) I was doing ok and quite enjoying it actually as I dont usually play those kind of games but then just as I was about to recruit reinhart who was my last companion the game crashed and corrupted all my saves and seemingly the game itself everything moves in slow motion now and dosent load properly. I have tried uninstalling the game data a few times and I get the same problem really weird I was only about 20 hours in though so no problem.

Worst one I had was not a save wipe as such but when burglars broke into my house and stole all 90 plus PS2 games I had which of course included all but one of my memory cards (which was in the PS2 at the time which they left) so yeah I dont know how many hours I lost there oh and there was 2 PS1 memory cards they stole as well (inside the ps2 cases) so I lost all the data to almost all my games for 2 generations of gaming and all my PS2 games bar 2 (which they obviously missed) yeah I was not happy.

deakin_j

Mar 14, 2011
Accidentally deleting my Ninja Gaiden save on the original xbox. just after i'd beaten the fire dragon. I know it was my own fault, but i've still not tried again. Also, Skyrim lost 120+ hours of my first, fully maxed out character.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Persona 4 save file got corrupted that I pain staking grinded to level 45 before the Kanji's shadow fight. I almost punched my poor old first generation PS2.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
Pokemon Blue.

My little brother slapped my Gameboy Colour out of my hands during a tantrum while we were in a moving car, I was about to fight the elite four with my Blastiose at level 92, my parents had to stop the car to get me off him.

Fuck you Matthew, my Pokedex was nearly complete.

Cockney_Jesus

Feb 18, 2009
At the final save point before the last boss of Final Fantasy 7, gold chocobo, defeated Emerald/Ruby, all the best materia/gear, level 99 etc...accidently saved over it with another game.

2 save files from then on.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
So I had some bloody stupid friends in the past. While I was trying to get a game started up for everyone to enjoy, they were messing about with the second controller. They deleted one of my most precious save files: Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life for the Gamecube. Now I was at the last chapter of this game. I spent a lot of time on it, I became rich on it, I had every animal, I had every building, every tool, crop, just god damn everything. Then they ruined it. Haven't felt the heart to complete the game since.

One time I left my copy of Pokemon Crystal in my gameboy player on my gamecube. I had one friend over. I went to get us drinks, heard a crash, came back up and the pokemon crystal cartridge was smashed to bits. My friend had pulled the controller too hard and brought the gamecube to the floor. Now let me explain this particular save file: I was only missing 3 pokemon from the pokedex. Every single pokemon I had was above level 60. I spent hours training every single one of them. That file was so precious to me. I had traded pokemon over from all the other games and I was only missing 3. 3!!!!!!!!!!!

My puppy also chewed my entire major gamecube memory card. it had 42 game save files on it. 42.

Excuse me while I go weep in a corner over my losses.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
When my PS3 died I lost my platinum Demon's Souls save, as well as my almost platinum Asian copy save. Also, all my various Assassins Creed series 100% completed saves etc. EVERYTHING.

I think that because it was the first console I had EVER had die on me (from NES onwards) I never thought to back up anything. The Demon's Souls saves were copy protected though so that's why I mentioned them specifically.

Now I have a flash drive with mostly Bethesda game saves backed up on it.

One thing that almost happened, but thankfully didn't was losing my almost finished Xenogears save. Thats the kind of thing that could honestly end a friendship lol

cormacdffy

Nov 19, 2009
I made it to the second last mission in Condemned: Criminal Origins (the scariest game I've ever played), and the save file somehow got corrupted. Never did finish that game...

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I've come extremely close to losing save files, but there has been one extremely bad case.

Close calls: My sister overwrited one of my Skyrim save files when I first got the game. Thank goodness it has 3 auto saves.
In Fallout: New Vegas, one of my saved files was corrupted and wouldn't load, but I always save twice before I quit that game, so no harm was done.

Bad case: My PC's motherboard decided it didn't want to live anymore, so I had to get it repaired. I took my hard drive out and put it in a case so I could use it with my laptop. Before I even got it into my house (I was at my cousin's) I dropped the case, destroying the hard drive. Lost everything I've ever done.
Thank God for the cloud service on Steam though. Didn't lose those save files.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I accidentally saved over my Shadow Of The Colossus run where I completed normal mode, the time trials, as well as worked on getting the lizard/fruit trophy x____x. I screamed.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Game wise, my ps3 crapped out and I pretty much lost every save file. I think the two biggest losses from that was losing progress in Uncharted 1 and Infamous 1. I was in the final stretch of both games, and when I lost all those save files I basically said "fuck this" and I dumped my ps3 games in with my older consoles. I haven't touched my ps3 or those games since that happened.

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
I had San Andreas 93% complete, just a few airplane and taxi missions to go.
It was a devastating blow....
I have tried to recover...

DeadpoolPwnz

Jun 27, 2012
Well my brother and my cousin had a 9 season madden 2004 game file that got corrupted. It's 9 16 game seasons and each game takes about 1 hour and each offseason can take 2-3 hours. My brother thinks they had 200 hours into it. The funny thing is I watched my cousin turn the power off on the ps2 while it was saving so I watched it get corrupted.