Most devastating loss of a save file

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Donkey Kong 64

My mother invited a friend from work over one day. Her friend also had a son my age so she thought we could have a little "play date" or whatever. I went into the restroom for a while and that little fucker thought it would be funny to erase my save while I was in there.

I was 6 at the time so that left a pretty big hole in my heart. Oh man did I cry like a ***** that day.

And I almost had all of the golden bananas. :(

Omega Pirate

Sep 20, 2010
The first time I finished Tales Of Symphonia on the Gamecube, I overwrote my save file with the Star file. Back then I didn't know but, the tales series has a new game+ thing going on. Once you finish a game you can save a file and start a new game plus from it, but you can't go back and play on that save again. I only had 1 save and I saved over it, lvl 100 characters probably 200 hours into the game.

This is part of the reason I have 100 save files on Fallout 3, and over 1000 save instances.

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
When I lost my game 4 hours into Dead Island, I couldn't work up enough fucks to give for another attempt. Basically abandoned the game.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I was going to say persona 3 since I lost like 30 hours of play when my save file got corrupted. But I think the worst was xcom apocalypse, I was in the alien dimension, most of the way though and the game would always mess up when it was loading this one level till my saves just stopped working all together.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past on the SNES. I was 6 years old and had completed three quarters of the game. I switched it on one day with the intention of completing it, only to find that all saved data had been wiped. I was mortified and was convinced my brother had done it because he was pure evil when we were younger. Turns out it was a save game bug and whenever I turned the power off on my SNES after having played the game everything was always wiped.

I remember my mum phoning some Nintendo customer services who just said there was nothing that could be done. Couldn't get a refund either because if was out of warranty.

Oh how life sucked before game patching on consoles.

chakra7777

Aug 28, 2009
Legend of Zelda: Orcina of Time for the N64. Probably my first 100% of any game was just gone one day. Though i DID use a players guide to 100% it, the first always cuts deepest....

Notable runners up would include: - 1st PS3 Harddrive. Yes with all the PS2 goodness
- Pokemon Silver and many legit 100s
- Pokemon Blue and good times with MissingNo ^^
- 1st Skyrim character lvl 45 LIZARDMAN dual axes

Feels good to pay homage. RIP

On a brighter note, my dusty old Dreamcast memory cards still hold my lvl 113 HuCast from PSO V2
.....so boring on your own after awhile though. AND POWER STONE 2 with all the items... i think

Mr Dizazta

Mar 23, 2011
Assassin's Creed II. I reach sequence 12 on Assassin's Creed and save and turn off for the night. The next morning my entire saved game was gone. I was only 10 feathers away from completing my collection.

Boggelz

Aug 28, 2011
I bought Fallout: NV and loved it. But then, i had to transfer all my steam data, but lost my fallout save, which was the only save i lost. After months I started it back up. Even more determined to play through it. Then my hard drive stops working. I lost it again. I have yet to go back and play it since.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Mario 3. World 8. Bowzer's castle.

Accidental use of Warp Whistle.

They heard the screams in Antarctica.

Nekron_X

Jan 30, 2011
TheRussian said:
I had San Andreas 93% complete, just a few airplane and taxi missions to go.
It was a devastating blow....
I have tried to recover...
similar to this, only at first, i went from los santos(firs area of the game) to the end...then the power went out.....started it back up when the power came back and the save was corrupted....*sniff*...

and one that's not a save file loss, but loss of function for a game. i was playing onimusha: dawn of dreams at a friends house and we were on the last boss fight.i had to leave but we didn't want to stop in the middle of the fight so i let him play it out and give ma back the game later. i got it back, but when i went to play it for myself i couldn't get the game to work. i turned it around to find out he had gotten the entire back of the disc scratched up.....couldn't play that game again....now nobody borrows my games unless i know they'll take care of them.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
A few months ago I was cleaning out my Xbox's Hard Drive (20 GB HDD, with all the Black Ops DLC and all the Borderlands DLC. I had to make space for other stuff) so I erased Darksiders. After seeing Darksiders 2 I decided I wanted to finish Darksiders, having forgotten that I'd erased what I had (Which was up to the Third Dungeon, before I got my horse).

I've been playing it recently, and I finally got past the third dungeon (I stopped because I was stuck at what I thought was a puzzle) and I'm about to finish the game. It's all good now.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
Padwolf said:
My puppy also chewed my entire major gamecube memory card. it had 42 game save files on it. 42.

Excuse me while I go weep in a corner over my losses.
You think 42 is bad? I had OVER 90 on my Gamecube, and what happened was, i was using my 1056 block card in my Wii, had it in there for months. I decide i want to actually play on my gamecube, so i pop it in and the next thing i see, EVERY SINGLE GAME IS CORRUPTED. In fact, it wasn't every game, it was the entire memory card, any save i put on that memory card became corrupted because of that Wii. Apperently the Wii tends to do that with 1056 cards....
Luckily i wasn't a huge Gamecube player anymore at that point, still a dissapointment, the bigger games i was sad at losing was:
Kirby Air Ride (Probably the third time the save got deleted on that game)
Super Smash Bros Melee
Mario Kart: Double Dash

My puppy also chewed the edge of my Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland cartridge so it doesn't work anymore. Luckily we had a second.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
My sister borrowed Trauma Center: Under the Knife years ago. I showed her exactly which save slot to use, and told her multiple times to not even TOUCH my save. I was at one of the very last operations, and that game isn't exactly easy.

So, as my luck would have it, she "accidently" saves over every single slot with the same 8-minute file. I tried to recover my progress, but I got to the operation on Reuben and I just gave up. Fuckin' Reuben.

Unlike many unfortunate others in this thread, I haven't lost a single meaningful Pokémon save. Not yet, at least.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Whiplash, final keycard. I just couldn't take it anymore. I was young and played the game for about two weeks, so I got burnt out and erased it, because I never wanted to play it or see it again. I still can't play it, but I might finish it if I had that file back.

EDIT: I also lost a Borderlands save on PC, which had playthrough 2 completed with Roland. But it wasn't that bad because I was done with it, I mean everything was %100. Plus I got a PS3 version too.

Thoughtful_Salt

Mar 29, 2012
I encountered an arena glitch in fire emblem: The Sacred Stones for the GBA. I had two level 20 Ewan druids attack each other with Luna, for some reason, it broke the game. The screen glitched out, I restarted to find that not only had about 75 hours of creature campaign and story campaign progress been lost, but all of the sound room unlocks and support conversations had been wiped out as well. It took me over a year of gameplay to get anywhere near where I used to be.

Nubrain

Sep 17, 2010
Pokemon gold. I had a full pokedex and had beaten EVERYTHING. yeah i hadn't played it in years and was playing pearl when this happened but my husband decided that he wanted to try one of the older games so without asking he deleted my gold game thinking it wouldn't be that big a deal. then he never got past the second gym.

it was hard not to feel a little bit mean when his xbox360 died last year and he lost all of his saves in everything including his ME1 and ME2 saves with all the different love interests and choices a month before ME3 came out.

Other than that I haven't ever lost much. I tend to do multi saves when possible and have never had a cartrage or memory card damaged.

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
Misery sure likes company it seems. I lost a save file for my main character on Oblivion and Skyrim ... and Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.

The most painful I guess was when I save file on Pokemon Platinum was erased. Never forgive, never forget.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Well... I haven't had any full-fledged losses yet, but I came damn close with a save file of Loco Roco that I had put over 100 hours into. I made a new game, and accidentally saved over my good file. Thankfully I had made a backup about a month back, so I didn't lose /all/ my data.

Edit: WAIT yes I have. I was playing Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time, and I had exactly ONE gold bolt (or was it platinum?) to get in order to get the platinum trophy for the game, and, as luck would have it, my PS3 broke. I still have that PS3 in the hopes that I'll fix it one day.