Most disapointing game of 2013

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Half the people on this thread are putting "Bioshock Infinite" down? That astounds me. A freakin' Ken Levine game, the guy who was the genius behind some of my all-time favorite games. "System Shock", "System Shock 2", even the original "Bioshock"... I mean, "Infinite" would have to be the worst Levine game by a VERY wide margin to even come close to deserving the title of "Most disappointing game."

Anyway, back on topic...

My pick would be "Bioshock: Infinite". The worst Levine game by a VERY wide margin.

Yeah, the "vigors" didn't fit in the game at all (I think there was one, maybe two, enemies who actually used them, despite that some of them - including one that TURNS YOU MAD AND THEN MAKES YOU KILL YOURSELF - are on sale at the kids' fairground. WTF?!) And the two-weapon limit was just baffling when you consider that there's a full weapon upgrade system. WHY? There's not even close to enough ammo to keep the same guns equipped all the time. What's the point of having a weapon upgrade system when you never know which weapons you're going to have to use?

And I didn't like the combat, which was 80% of the game... I LOVED the world, by the way, which I thought was excellent... but I think there's a bigger point that people are missing.

I think back through all of Levine's games, and the early one especially are about making your OWN story. Yeah, "System Shock 2" and "Bioshock" had fixed paths and stories, but they never really made you feel like an observer in someone else's shoes. ("Bioshock" in particular used the idea of "control" very well to enhance the game and plot.) In "Infinite"... I never felt as though I was marching to the beat of my own drum. I never felt that my actions had consequences. I thought the hero was written perfectly as a character, and yet I was always WATCHING him, never BEING him... This is not what I want from a game.

Almost twenty years after first playing "System Shock" I still remember parts of it with clarity. I remember how the manual (anybody else remember when games had manuals? With quotes from the in-game characters and little facts about the world you were about to explore? I miss those...) had a quote from an engineer aboard Citadel Station describe how, when he was practically unarmed, a security bot had silently come over to him, started scanning him until he was convinced it was going to open fire, then just slid off. ("I hate those things.") And in the game THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME. One great thing about "System Shock" was that not all enemies would instantly attack you upon detecting you for the first time. It added a whole new element to the game in that you needed to conserve ammo as much as possible, and part of that was not wasting it on enemies that weren't hostile.

I was down on the engineering deck with a sparq beam, a pipe and a dartgun - all particularly useless weapons for taking on something as strong as a sec-1 bot - in a section that takes place in near-darkness. I just blundered in there before I was supposed to (yes, you used to be able to do things like that in games, go figure) when this THING appeared next to me. I'd already tried to take on a sec-1 bot before and was fully aware of how useless my current arsenal was against it... Trying to take on a security bot with a pipe or a sparq beam, let alone a dartgun, is a recipe for getting yourself horribly murderlized. If it had opened fire, I would've been killed very quickly indeed. Instead it just hovered there while I retreated as quietly as possible... then paused the game and went off to get a change of underwear.

This wasn't a scripted event. Almost NOTHING in "System Shock" was a scripted event. There were no cutscenes except at the very beginning and end (I don't think the technology even existed to have regular cutscenes at that point). And that's great because it means the developer has to make the game in such a way that the events within normal gameplay can, and will, have an impact on the player. The great thing about "System Shock" was that THEY DID. I had dozens of experiences like this in-game. No hand-holding required. The whole way through I felt as though I was the one in charge, it was MY story being told here. I was having experiences with the game that nobody else would ever have. And it was awesome.

That's the kind of game I want a developer of the calibre of Levine to be making. Not a linear generic two-weapon shooter with magical powers that feel like they're added as an afterthought. It depresses me that "Infinite" is getting as much praise as it is, because I feel it's entirely a step in the wrong direction for him.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
They always say; "(big publisher) is tots no twisting our arm to make it shit and watered down", Yet they always seem to be the one thing involved when shit turns grey-ish brown. I don't think Ted's a bad designer, he's been there since Ratchet and Clank, Hell even Nexus was a fine return to form, but to be proffesional the dev can't say the publisher meddled.

the last thing you want to do in this industry is burn bridges, and saying the publisher made us do this is akin to lighting the bridge on fire with lighter fluid, feuled with all the money your busniness is never going to get again.

Just have to leave it up to the community to know this intinctively that pubishers always meddle. I was watching some old dev Diaries for Dead Space and they way they talked about the game, you could tell they really wanted to make a scary game. Now it's more of a shooter with an AI shouting in your ear every 5 seconds for something, and doors blocked because I havn't done the marketers job of making more people buy the game.

Tangent: I honestly think thats why split screen has died off, it's not because of processing power, it's because they can sell you an extra bloody game that way!

Somewhat reassuring to know that it did that badly. Hopefully they learned something.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
s69-5 said:
Easily Time & Eternity.

Previews showed a beautiful animated world and characters. And so I rented it.

Thankfully, a rental is all I did. Awful gameplay, insipid story and choppy/ over-used animation is what I was met with.

It toppled Last Rebellion as the worst JRPG I've played in the 7th gen. It places amongst the worst ever - like BoF: Dragon Quarter and Thousand Arms. Just a stinker overall.

But just to throw some positivity in: the biggest pleasant surprise I had was Yakuza 4. Bought from the cheap bin at Walmart, I had zero expectations and was met with a solid and fun combat system, a decent crime story, some good mini-games and the character Akiyama who is all-around awesome.
Pick up Yakuza 3 if you get the chance. It's more of that great combat system with an even better story than 4. Much more personal and emotional I found.

Nonomori

Nov 20, 2012
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (!!!). I had to google the title.

I wasn't really excited for it, but expecting something better than boring environments, frequent radio conversations and cutscenes about the uninteresting plot and characters, lazy backtracking, lazy side quests, really rushed ending and overall lack of polish.

Combat is challenging and fun for the first few hours, but the rest of the game is a gray, repetitive and unexciting mess. I should've know better because it was Vanquish all over again. Not that I hated it or anything, I actually got to the end, but I'm not touching that again.

Above

Oct 3, 2009
too be honest, I Think only one,maybe 2 Good games came out this year.

One game this year DEFINITELY took the gold for being the most overrated. You probably know what i'm talking about.

Grand Theft Auto V - The story was mediocre, yeah i said it. and the online was ballsed up so hard people couldn't even play it for weeks, also, the Online isn't fun, its just a dumb world where people will kill anyone at first sight, unless you do the repetitive jobs over and over again, surprisingly the best part was when i was modded randomly too level 158 with billions of dollars, at least then the game felt fun.

honorary Mentions too other games that i was disappointed by.(my opinions of course)

Dead Rising 3, felt clunky, unresponsive and generally dumb. (My opinions, of course)

Assassins Creed: Black Flag, although i'm not a huge fan of Assassins Creed, and in fact prefer naval combat, i'd wish they'd stop the bullshit with Naval Combat, or at least release it as a new IP. Everyone in their polls agree that the best thing about the game is the Naval war, and it annoys me that the best part of the game is a part they've stuck on

Aliens: Colonial Marines - Need i say anything, really?

Walking Dead: Survival Instinct - Again, need i say anything. Graphics where not up too par, gameplay features where dumb and useless, and the overall game felt tacky and rushed.

Bioshock Infinite - not necessarily a bad game, but seriously, stop with the QT3.14 waifu stuff w/ Elizabeth, she was boring and annoying.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Tales of Xillia, for me. I was so hyped for it. But I was let down so hard. An event similar to Nam Cobanda Isle was cut, an entire story arc starring King Gaius was cut, a spa event was cut, the game has minimal costumes so they can all be sold as DLC(for fucking $2.99 each costume, each character). And there's a CLEAR Aborted Arc near the end of the game. The framerate chugs in battle if there are too many enemies on the screen, the world is full of rooms, rooms, rooms and more rooms. That's all the game world is, is a bunch of rooms. Oh, and Milla's voice sounds unnatural. I don't quite know how to accurately describe it. It's as if her voice is coming out of a speaker, within the game. It just sounds off.

I love the Tales series, but starting with Graces f, a lot of stuff is no longer being put into the game so it can be sold as DLC(namely the little extra bits like COSTUMES) and I was greatly disappointed with Xillia. If Tales of Zestiria doesn't fare any better, I fear for the series' future.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
A lot of bile being thrown in Bioshock Infinite's direction, which is frankly amazing considering we have Rome 2 and SimCity to contend with.

My two most disappointing games were:

Call of Duty: Ghosts- I bought this game despite myself. I was really happy with Black Ops II, and how the campaign was showing signs of improving, with a semi-dynamic campaign, optional missions and an interesting story. But Ghosts threw all that out the window and gave us what I think is the worst game in the series. A massive step back to a series that really needs to innovate.

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified- Now THIS was heart-breaking. Despite the convoluted development process, I did retain hope for this game. And it's STILL not a bad game! What breaks your heart is the fact that it is built on the shell of what it was meant to be, and the entire game reminds you of just how AWESOME it could have been, instead of merely passable. The lab is there... but you can't do research. The dialogue tree is there... but it doesn't DO anything and has no consequences. The base is all there... but a lot of it is 'inaccessible' except when required.

It's a shame, really. You can see what they wanted to do, and you can tell the potential this game had...

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
God it hurts seeing Bioshock Infinite so many times...

OP; I would have to go with Dead Space 3. I adored one and two, and I go into three...and it's horrible. To be completely honest, I don't even think I beat the first level. I just kind of gave up and went back to playing Persona 4.

IrenIvy

Mar 15, 2011
It came on PC in 2013 so I think it qualifies: "Spelunky."
The game is promising (Steam blurb) "explore fantastic places filled with all manner of monsters, traps, and treasure. You'll have complete freedom while you navigate the fully-destructible environments and master their many secrets. To stay or flee [...]"
- only it keeps forgetting to tell that there is a unkillable ghost that one-shots you after about 2 minutes at the level, making the game into a speed run.
"Spelunky" probably has its good sides for people who like that kind of things as a challenge but this isn't a game of exploration or freedom. Death (again, characterized in promo blurbs as "You're going to die in all kinds of painful, hilarious, and surprising ways") aren't hilarious in any way or measure, at least not in first levels. But they got surprising part right, especially because I couldn't see half of the times what hit me.
So for me "Spelunky" was the biggest disappointment of this year. With all proper apologies to fans of this game.

"Remember Me" was the second one because I couldn't figure out how to hit big combos on PC, and combat in general was very frustrating. I really wish to finish it but I can't due to those issues. While game itself isn't bad at all, it also felt very barebone, merely enough to give a glimpse of something much more beautiful.

I didn't play "Dead Space 3" but from what I saw in "Lets Play" I would have been unhappy with this game. And (without wishes to start any heated discussions) I still don't see anything bad about Bioshock Infinite. Yes, it wasn't as mind-shattering as I hoped it would be but it was still a very gripping game (but I also avoided most of hype so maybe it played its role as well).

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
That's hard because I dodged all the spectacular failures of the year (was A:CM ever looking like a worthy buy? not to me). I could maybe argue Rome 2, as that was one I was kind of looking forward to. But something told me to hold off and see what the reviews were like. Glad I did, didn't buy it in the end.

Of the games I actually played this year, it's actually probably Tomb Raider that I was most disappointed at. That was one of my favourite games too. Fantastic combat, and a nice progression system on top. Obviously the story and dialogue were top notch. It's just that I was expecting more in the way of open world. They need more "Zelda elements", or something. Also it was extremely short. I love it for reviving a dead series, but the sequel needs to be an improvement.

stromjob

Jan 28, 2014
So for me I have several that just were pretty lousy:

1) Gears of War: Judgment, though I wasn't really expecting to much to begin with. I get that gears games are not for the campaign, but this story was just awful in my opinion. I never really felt drawn in. The multiplayer wasn't must to get anyway. I remember buying this game way after its release at a gamestop for only $20. I remember thinking, this game can't be good and the cashier agreed with me.

2) Beyond Two Souls: Didn't feel any emotion whatsoever. Wasn't a fan simply put.

3) Sim City: This one was the big one. I really had hope that this game would do well. Then I played it, or at least tried to play it. For two days. And haven't touched it again.