Most disappointing game?

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. Exact same game as the originals with online play still being awful. Sigh.

Isaac Dodgson

The Mad Hatter
May 11, 2008
Bah...Zelda isn't about sandbox game play, and WW to me felt far to much like grinding then anything else... Pure LoZ is about the story and the puzzles, and granted there's collecting involved, I'm not about to fish every part of the bloody OCEAN to collect a bunch of trivial maps for things I hardly need. TP was a let down in it's length and shear volume (or lack there of) of things to do, but WW disappointed me more...

I'm waiting for The Legend of Zelda: The Happy Middle Ground

Morderkaine

Dec 23, 2007
Assassins creed was a little too repeatative, it was fun, but not quite what I expected, and it was one of the games I got my 360 for. The mini missions were far too easy and repetative, but at least the actual final assassinations were usually quite fun. And slaughtering random guards all over the place was cool too, just wish it was more useful gameplay wise.

Most annoying was Super Smash Bros Melee and Brawl. the original had MUCH better control, didnt obscure the screen with random effects and crap and just was more polished overall. Ive had way more fun with the orriginal SSB, and when I have friends over the common consensus is to break it out instead of the 2 newer ones.

Any MMORPG cant keep my interest long, too much grinding for levels, and there is no such thing as a story.

And Grand Theft auto 4.... gets near perfect scores from every reviewer, but like Yahtzee says, its like a sim of every day boring life half the time, far too far to get between missions, and even when doing the 'fun' parts, its not that big a step past the old GTA games. Its a good game, but its not the second coming like many say it is. Vice City has held my interest far longer, although I can say that GTA 4 at least has much better character development, and im still waiting to find out if that chick im banging is a NARC....

JayCro

May 1, 2008
FFXII disappointed me so much. I wont go into all the reasons it is bad but it's the only FF I haven't finished.

DMC2 annoyed me as well.

Wolfwind

May 28, 2008
I've said it before and I'll say it again, DMC 4 was a dissapointment.

You get half way through the game and then you're back tracking levels and bosses, I mean how lazy is that? Nero spends half the game yelling "Kirie!", which got old real fast. And I was one of the people who was hoping that once you beat the game, they'd do something like let you play as Trish or Lady like they did in DMC 3 where you got to play as Vergil, but no. All you get are harder and harder modes.

I'm not gonna lie, the game did some things right. The switching between Dante's modes on the fly was great, and the idea of Nero's sword needing to be revved up was pretty cool, along with the devil bringer and summoning Yamato, but after everything they did with DMC 3, DMC 4 just felt flat. That's just my opinion.

Nikolita

May 7, 2008
Grandia 3. I rented it and it was just nothing like what I thought it'd be.

Also, DDR Extreme (I don't like the old-style games in the series) and Sims 2 for the PS2.

rec_rm

Apr 10, 2008
I may be a bit old by now but I would have to say Xenogears for the PSX.

I'm one of those weird people that actually likes jrpg's but this game just went way way way to far.

MattClassic

Feb 21, 2008
Wolfwind said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, DMC 4 was a dissapointment.

You get half way through the game and then you're back tracking levels and bosses, I mean how lazy is that? Nero spends half the game yelling "Kirie!", which got old real fast. And I was one of the people who was hoping that once you beat the game, they'd do something like let you play as Trish or Lady like they did in DMC 3 where you got to play as Vergil, but no. All you get are harder and harder modes.

I'm not gonna lie, the game did some things right. The switching between Dante's modes on the fly was great, and the idea of Nero's sword needing to be revved up was pretty cool, along with the devil bringer and summoning Yamato, but after everything they did with DMC 3, DMC 4 just felt flat. That's just my opinion.
That's exactly why I thought Silent Hill 4: The Room was such a disappointment. It's still a good game, but the mid-game level backtracking was such a cop-out. The levels were sweet the first time around, but I didn't need a refresher course or anything. If I wanted to play a game twice, I'd just play the fucking game twice.

Dead Rising. I'm a freak for all things zombie, and I wanted to like that game so much, but it had just way too many flaws to list here that killed it for me. Maiming zombies was fun for about an hour; actually trying to play Dead Rising beyond that was just a tedious exercise.

pnonma

Jun 12, 2008
I have a few contenders...

Sonic The Hedgehog (Xbox360). A piece of my childhood died when I popped this 'gem' into my Xbox. Some of the most beautiful cutscenes I had seen in recent memory, then some seriously ugly real graphics. Needless 'find out information about Dr. Eggman' segments (here's a hint: YOU HAVE ONLY BEEN STOPPING HIS SCHEMES FOR 15 YEARS NOW!!) were followed by the old standby of 'let's not advance the story until you've talked to every single person to activate a minigame'. I spent two minutes of loading time to get to read one box of text explaining said minigame, then two more minutes of loading time until you can control your character...for a 15-second game, then more loading. The forced running segments almost made me throw my controller, especially since the analog controls were far too touchy and weren't adjustable. Tails' only weapon is to throw fake ring bombs at the enemy, which drop fake rings everywhere and make a sound like you just dropped all of your rings, adding to the confusion. Lousy level design, crazy time limits, a lame storyline, constant pauses for loading, and horrible controls. Overall, a really bad game from a franchise that once held such a dear place in my heart...we can only hope that Sonic:Unleashed will be better; of course, it's not like it could be any worse.

GTAIV. I just couldn't make myself play it after the open world magic wore off.

Beautiful Katamari (xbox360). Its ridiculously short length and the need to purchase items with real money to get game completion made me trade this game back in, even though I loved the original Katamari.

Bleach: Heat the Soul (psp). For a franchise that has over 70 or so recognizable characters to have a fighting game with only five of them represented is unforgivable. Worse yet is the fact that the 'story mode' is about 4 fights long. The sequels are much longer, and have more characters, but it was still pretty lame going through the trouble of getting the first game and finding out that the first 10 minutes of gameplay was all I was going to get.

I completely agree with those who were disappointed in Brawl. I liked what they did to it, but it just didn't feel right somehow.

JaguarWong

Jun 5, 2008
San Andreas springs to mind - I loved Vice City so much and was horrified at how just plain boring they made SA.

Bushido Blade 2 - Typical of so many bad sequels - quality was replaced by quantity.

Double Dragon II - I tried three different copies of this in my Spectrum +2a and none of them loaded... I eventually got my mum to take me back to Software+ with my +2a in tow and the guy adjusted the head, off I went home, loaded up the game - AT LAST - and it was rubbish. Not a happy boy!

KamikazeSailor

Jun 10, 2008
I just thought of an extremely disappointing game that came out on the 360...

Lost Planet.

Man that game was awful and I was expecting, at the very least, something playable. It's just everything about the gameplay completely turned me off to it. I was surprised, actually.

The Anti Noob

May 27, 2008
Marvel Ultimate Alliance for the Wii. The worst part, among many other flaws, is that moving the controller to do attacks is totally optional, which takes away from the point of playing it on the Wii. For such a beloved franchise on a sweet console, I really expected more. For shame.

Fusi0n.be

Jun 12, 2008
Splinter Cell Double Agent.

You could just see that it wasn't produced by Ubisoft Montreal. It was so, so, so different from the other splinter cell games. I still enjoyed playing it, but I expected more of it.

Sasha Janre

Apr 30, 2008
Silverookami said:
harhol said:
Final Fantasy XII

After FFX being perfect in every way and several years of waiting we get a completely awful non-story and a frankly laughable battle system.
...yeah, but it had Balthier so I can't write it off completely. Also, the amount of side questing to be done was fairly impressive to me, even if I didn't give a damn about most of the characters except Balthier and Larsa (and NO, not in THAT way.) I was also sad that the Espers were largely irrelevant, they're honestly still sitting unclaimed on my license boards except for the one you have to use to open the gate to Giruvegan. Gotta say it still scores higher than FF9 for me at least.

Total word though about FFX. It's my favourite FF game in terms of play, graphics and story telling. Oh, woulda liked camera control though. I appreciate that FFXII at least had camera control.
I agree with you on XII having incredibly vast questings, with the hunts, and though the randomization on items and having the most powerful weapon included in that was sucky. I liked the story, I liked the characters, and the voice acting was beautiful.

On X ... I really wished they gave me better camera control with some of the boss battles, and DEFINITELY with the bevelle temple. I also don't hate FFX-2, but the only thing that may have saved it for me was the battle system and i like the costumes and I was a sucker for Tidus and Yuna.

I will put it out there right now that FF8 is still one of my favourites. I liked the characters, the story (sans the forced love story) was nifty, and I love me some anti-hero and Squall was definitely that. FF9 was really fun as well, and of course, I like FF7 .. the materia system is probably one of the best and if it had Materia Fusion that CC has, it would've been even better.

FF DORK AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY.

scoHish

Mar 27, 2008
I gotta go with Enter the Matrix... anyone still remember that? I was pumped for it until i played it for about 10 minutes... that was a bit of a spirit breaker.

N-Sef

Jun 21, 2008
Initial D Version 4 in the arcades. After the brilliance of Arcade Stage Version 3, I thought that 4 would be godly. But no, all Sega did was screw everything up. Sure the game is powered by the same tech that Virtua Fighter 5 is, but who the heck cares, the game runs slow and the cars feel like I'm steering dodge em cars instead of a sports car. I don't know what they were thinking honestly, maybe they wanted to be more like Battle Gear? Since that was rising in popularity, but seriously they stripped the games identity with that trash.

Also they removed half the tracks and half the cars. The only thing that was good about the game was the soundtrack, as usual the Initial D background music is steller with some great and suitable Eurobeat tracks. I gave the game a chance, I passed every mountain Pass and have beaten every Rival in the game, but the game was just not worth the time or the money I pumped into it.

Gemini3333

Jun 5, 2008
to me the original versions are always better just to name a few series where the originals are best

perfect dark
Halo(don't laugh since most of the jackasses left for halo 3 this game became quite enjoyable)
Super smash brothers
Turok
Zelda(felt tired after the orcirina of time)
Super Mario Brothers(well thats not true super mario sunshine was fun)
and you know the list goes on.

Churchman

Jun 21, 2008
Halo. I found the story cookie cutter, Master Chief was interchangeable with anyone with powered battle armour. The Gameplay, while balanced, and fully functional, was nothing special. (tho being balanced and fully functional seems to become special in itself nowadays).

KimMR251

Jun 15, 2008
I gotta say, Xenosaga let me down hardcore. There was barely any gameplay in the beginning. I was better off renting a movie =\.

Saga Frontier..oh man, I gave that game away to get it far away from my place of sanctuary.

And unfortunately starcraft never drew me in. *sigh* Perhaps I was a bit impatient for that game at the time...

SpinFusor

Jun 28, 2004
I think Assassins Creed is the most recent disappointment. Not even because it was bad. But because it had such immense potential, and mostly squandered it.

Assassins creed makes me think of another big disappointment. Tenchu has steadily crushed my hopes since I moved on from the first. And there is a new pile in the works *crosses fingers*