Most disappointing game?

Crusnik

Apr 16, 2008
Afro John said:
Personaly the multiplayer on Halo 3 keeps me playing, I feel the 4 player campaign is a large improvment to the franchise, but hey thats just me.
Regurgitating something Yahtzee has said, a "perfect game" shouldn't need the multiplayer to excuse any issues. Reviewers should start carrying two scores for multiplayer games, one for the single player campaign, and one for the multiplayer. Not trying to put you down, or anything. For instance, I enjoyed Crysis, but the multiplayer sucked ass. The single player Halo 2 was annoying and disappointing as fuck, but the multiplayer is good (once you've muted the douchebags).

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Crusnik said:
Regurgitating something Yahtzee has said, a "perfect game" shouldn't need the multiplayer to excuse any issues.
I could say something similar about portal but then the Valve Gestapo here would kill me.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
After being an uber Star Wars fan since 1977, I was so looking forward to Sony's Star Wars Galaxies. I purchased the Collector's Ed. at the time, took a day off of work, upgraded my system.....just to have an epic logon failure as did everyone else day of launch.

I stuck with the game for a year. A year too long, always hoping that it was going to deliver on what it initally promised: an ever changing battled between the Empire and Rebellion. Instead, there were crashes, nerfs, delayed patches, delayed events, gameplay contstantly changed, Galactic Civil War meant NOTHING.

I don't even think the game today looks anything like the game that originally that launched. SOE killed it so hard, I am seriously afraid to try any other SOE online game again.

KamikazeSailor

Jun 10, 2008
Regurgitating something Yahtzee has said, a "perfect game" shouldn't need the multiplayer to excuse any issues.
This assumes the elements of a "perfect game" are not defined by the multiplayer itself.

Shadowrun is the best first-person shooter on the Xbox 360. It is more in-depth than any other game on the system, but because it has no single player it should be considered a wash?

What about Warhawk on the PS3? If you haven't played that game you have no idea what it's like, but that game is as intense and insane as any I've ever played. It absolutely kicks butt. But again, no single player.

Of course, then there are games like Command & Conquer 3, which I was really looking forward to. It had great single player. I loved the missions. The multiplayer was abysmal. EA put no thought into the multiplayer system at all. I hated that and it ruined the game for me. Certainly, of all the games to come out on the 360 recently, Command & Conquer 3 was the most disappointing.

Drbog

Jun 11, 2008
It's down to assassins creed or farcry for me.

Oh and portal WAS funny have you played it?

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Drbog said:
It's down to assassins creed or farcry for me.

Oh and portal WAS funny have you played it?
Since I'm the only person who is negative about portal I bet your talking to me yes I did not find the game funny except the credits which I can see on youtube for free rather than paying $20.

Pebble_Raven

May 14, 2008
Half-Life 2, Part 2. I got this game from a friend of mine, and I was expecting it to be freaking awesome. I'd never played a Half-Life game before, but from all the hype, the last thing I'd expected it to be was exactly what it was: Generic. Well, actually, that's not entirely accurate, but the sections where it departed from the typical shooter formula were all pretty pathetic. I spent half the g*dd*mn game driving a hover-dinky around a muddy and blurry canal running into walls from time to time because of how badly it handled. I usually like industrial, dystopia environments most people would probably describe as "dull and brown" but JESUS CHRIST, even I got pretty bored with the scenery (or lack of) in this game. And speaking of scenery, the graphics were way below standards, another thing I wouldn't have expected judging from the hype. And it was annoyingly short, but it's already been thrashed enough for that.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
GTA3

After playing GTA2 to death I was so psyched for 3. And then not only did they put less features in the game, they also screwed up the controls...

Yes GTA2's story sucked, but you didn't care about the story, you were a faceless errand boy, if you didn't have the manual you didn't even know the story. GTA3 slapped cutscenes in my face on completely unlikable characters trying to pull me into some bland tale I cared nothing about and forcing me to complete missions to unlock parts of the city (like I already hated in GTA1 and they luckily removed in 2).

GTA2 was just about messing around in a city and doing random missions, capping tanks, remote controlled bombed cars (yes, they were already there), heck, you could hijack a bus and earn money for doing rounds, complete all the kill frenzies, fight the effin army in the last city (and die horribly), collect all the gta symbols, collect all the numbered sports cars, unlock special hard as nails extra scenarios, etc, etc. Where'd it all go? Down the effin' "3d is better" drain. And then they started putting their original features back in with later installments, which got me extra sour. They could've created a massive 2d experience, yet flushed it all to start all over again in 3d.

I tried Vice City later on, still no marked improvement on the crappy car handling. I'll give it a shot with 4 once that thing hits the bargain bin, but I'm not positive.

portuga:
I agree immensely with you on KoTOR. I'm a Star Wars fan through and through, I've read more SW novels than I can remember and that game just didn't deliver. I've installed it three times and played some twenty hours in total. Is the lead up of the game crappy and does it get cool later? Why do I have to slog through the early dung then? My conclusion: It's a marred product. I'm a fan of Baldur's Gate, but I know it is as accessible as a foxhole to an elephant for most people, so refrain from recommending it without cautionary notes. Now Fallout I'd reccommend to anyone.

Shatnershaman:
Portal had me waiting for something more, something greater, but stuck as a good yarn, which is all it is. And any game that can bring me to want to complete it is good in my book. Buy it alone for 20$ without TF2 or HL2, 2.1 and 2.2? No way. I'll get a movie I know I like for a tenner instead.

aside:
hhhmmmm, have I already posted in this thread?

Meshakhad_v1legacy

Feb 20, 2008
Final Fantasy XI. Big disappointment. It was just grind, grind, grind - well, so are most MMOs, but FFXI wasn't FUN, compared to E&B before, or EVE after.

ChristianxKrupps

Jun 11, 2008
Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess

everyone i talked to is like ZOMFG 715 F7W!!!1oneoneeleven
and so i tried playing it. i got to the temple of time level and quit. The side quests really weren't side quests, the levels weren't the loveable legend of zelda puzzles, and the characters were a bit laid on. you had some thing follow you about and you turned into a wolf.
i hated it. the fishing was rather fun though.

although I am one that says Majora's Mask is better than Ocarina of Time and thought that A Link to the Past was a gift from the Gods

infernovolver

Jun 11, 2008
There's quite a few for me. I'll only go with some of the newer one's though.

GUITAR HERO 3: Is actually one of my most anticipated games. But when I played it, it was fun for a while.... But then once you get to the last setlist, things get ridiculous. I hate boss battles, I hate how they had to make it unrealistic, I hate how they made the difficulty over the top by including more notes than there's actually in the song, I hate getting so used to the hammer-ons and pull-offs and going back to rock band or gh2, I hate how it forces the player to completely rely on luck on the battle with Lou, etc etc etc. It was so overhyped, well presented, but it failed for me. One of the biggest things that I dislike about the game, is that Activision moved away from harmonix because they didn't want to do a game about a full band. Then people said harmonix were copying off of Activision because they were making a a music game, then the same people say Activision is copying off of Harmonix because now THEY are making a music game about the full band. Not to mention the they had to make "Through the fire and flames" a nearly impossible song to beat, just because of the beginning.

SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL: Well, let everybody else speak for this too. It's incredibly repetitive for single player, some of the goals are way too hard (boss battles on INTENSE? You don't get any continues? no extra lives? >.<), and I hate the AI. The multiplayer lags online, and my god, it's like all of the worst from the xbox community moved over to spawn a whole new generation of cheap-o's for the Wii. I have never before seen so many overuse broken things in a game so much. Some characters are way overpowered, some are way underpowered, and some could use some tweaking. For the most part, Brawl has it's great aspects in multiplayer, and thats about it after a while.

MARIO KART WII: My god. Rubberbanding AI, and the fact that it's too targeted for a casual gaming audience. It reduces skill to.... 8th to last place in a matter of seconds. Unlocking some things in the game is ludicrously hard in the late game, and that also discouraged me. One of the main disappointments about the game is it wasn't the sequel to double dash. Double Dash is still my favorite mario kart, just because of all of the innovation it had, and it was awesome. Great. The best thing to happen to it, and Mario Kart Wii didn't take where Double Dash left off.

Yeah. A lot of things are disappointing in the gaming industry of late.

jad4400

Jun 12, 2008
For me it was Turning Point Fall of Liberty, all of the videos and music made it seem like (to me at least) it was goning to be somthing like Freedom fighters are a awsomes game like that. Insted I got a dumb game, with dumb controls, a weak story that could have been epic and a lot of bugs. If you did like the game please tell me why.

AWC Viper

Jun 12, 2008
im sorry but the WORST game EVER made is driver 3 for the pc the controls are dodgy the AI are worse than a blind sniper and the learning curve is retarted

-all rights reserved
-all wrongs mocked at accordingly

AWC Viper

Jun 12, 2008
im with jad440 on that turning point fall of liberty had the perfect idea but lacked the..........well everything it was StOOpid

mace5087

May 14, 2008
Dead Rising wasnt really dissapointing just not impresive as i thought it would be i played ir through in 2 days and got ending B i played through it again in hopes of getting ending A follwing with overtime mode but all i got was a huge cock slap when i got some other ending i never heard of
but i think the most dissapointing IS DEFFINETLY Lair people waited for it for about 2 years and it was impossible to control i tried it a friend's house and i hated in about 10 minutes

Dboyz-x.etown

Jun 10, 2008
Recently, Haze UT3 and Assassins creed have let me down. Haze was total shit, I really can't name any redeeming features of that game. The story was shit, the graphics were shit, and the ending was even worse.

Assassins creed was a great game, but could have been sooo much better given just a few more months of development time. All I'm asking for here is some more variety in the missions. You literally did the same three thing the entire 7-8 or so hour game. And It's only 7-8 hours if you do ALL the viewpoints, ALL the investigations, and ALL the save citizens.

UT3 for the PS3 was way overhyped. IT promised amazing graphics, fun online, and a worthwhile single player. In reality, it was laggy as hell online, the graphics were detailed yet bland, and the single player was essentially the multiplayer with bots instead of human opponents, with no real story at all.

But the most overhyped game ever for me was SOCOM 3. I was worse than the most annoying Joe Jonas fan in how much I was anticipating its' arrival, and when it was finally released, I realized everything they had told us it would be was a lie. The textures were muddy, the levels were so big you basically spent the entire round running around for like 4 minutes only to die in a 2 second firefight (seriously) and then waiting another 2 minutes for the next round to start, and you could not actually aim the weapons. Seriously. They were so inaccurate that firefights were basically a matter of pointing your crosshairs in the general direction of your opponent, and just unloading, praying you randomly shot him in the head. Even at point blank range, your crosshairs would expand enough to actually encompass your opponents entire body in front of you. Now I know that running around with a gun shooting fully automatic is going to cause you a bit of accuracy problems, but it's not going to be so bad that your shots will immediately go from hitting the floor to the sky back to the floor again. The bullets just seemed to randomly hit within the area of the crosshairs, with no pattern whatsoever. Kills were no longer a matter of skill, but simply luck. The worst thing was, the new attachment system they implemented that was so heavily lauded, was now exclusively used to increase the accuracy of your gun. The game got boring after just a few weeks, even though it was basically the only online game the PS2 had. The game sucked. It was one of the worst disappointments of my life. And I still haven't forgiven zipper.

Isaac Dodgson

The Mad Hatter
May 11, 2008
ChristianxKrupps said:
Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess

everyone i talked to is like ZOMFG 715 F7W!!!1oneoneeleven
and so i tried playing it. i got to the temple of time level and quit. The side quests really weren't side quests, the levels weren't the loveable legend of zelda puzzles, and the characters were a bit laid on. you had some thing follow you about and you turned into a wolf.
i hated it. the fishing was rather fun though.

although I am one that says Majora's Mask is better than Ocarina of Time and thought that A Link to the Past was a gift from the Gods
Eye twitch

Now, granted I felt TP was far too easy (played the GCN version, the way it was meant to be), i felt that it was what WW should of been...minus the wolf bit. Waker just annoyed with piss out of me with the cutesy graphics and cartoony atmospheres that were the antithesis to the staple intricate and beautifully designed puzzles and levels of the series. Majora's Mask had it's good points, but it bowls down to a bunch of mask collecting mini games.

However, A Link to the Past is indeed the second coming IMO

UpInSmoke

May 14, 2008
windwaker blows away twilight princess. Graphics aside, WW is superior in every way. Sure, the sailing got tedious, but at least there was SOMETHING to do on every single square of the map. There are just so many more quests and activities and just generally more FUN times to be had in WW. I felt like I was constantly discovering things. In contrast, TP is fucking barren. What's the point of having a a giant sprawling map of Hyrule if there isn't a damn thing to do between dungeons? TOTAL letdown. I thought the ridiculous delays pretty much guaranteed that I'd get a perfect Zelda game... wrong. They were just putting the game on ice to make the Wii launch look a little beefier... classic disappointment =(