Most disappointing game?

hustlerone91

Mar 31, 2008
FINAL FANTASY 12 was disappointing for me.it had a boring battle system, boring set of cast, useless summons I mean sacrificing both your party members just to summon one and watch them get 1 hit k'oed by most bosses they act more like a liability rather than saving grace. this game actually is a substitute for depressants cause it left me sleeping through all of it.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I'm sure Kane and Lynch gets this dubious honor - but I expected that game to be ****.

For me, it was Assassin's Creed and CoD4 - Halo 3 actually met to my expectations because it's realy hard to add that much more after Halo 2 - I am a bit pissed that they just took the Arbiter's story - threw it out the window - and started focusing on master chief, it just felt like a car hitting a brick wall.

Anyway, Assassin's Creed - I was watching those gameplay videos just thinking "Wow there is no possible way Ubisoft could mess up this great of a concept" - but then they even made a game that was about free running and dynamic worlds feel repetitive and linear...seriously, what the hell? How do you mess that up?

CoD4 - I was anticipating this title for SO long, and despite how cool the single player campaign was, it was just CoD in a new setting, still had those stupid trigger points and endless respawning AI - no ****ing physics, and then everyone was hailing it as the best game in the world. It's annoying when flawed work is called flawless.

AntiAntagonist

Neither good or bad
Apr 17, 2008
Malice for the Xbox. Took around 2-3 years more than needed to develop, was just a sad attempt after everything was said and done.

When I first heard about it there were a bunch of cool ideas that they wanted to be implemented, of which very few survived. Plus the writing for it sounded cool during previews. After release it felt very contrived, and had very little characterization.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Dark Reign 2. None of the fun and hijinks of Dark Reign 1.

Prey. The demo was simply fantastic, had me rearing the get the game. It felt like every awesome idea they had was in the demo and the rest was just an average shooter.

Halo: Combat Evolved. I'd heard many stories about how awesome this game was from the Xbox crowd and I was interested to see what it was like. The only epic thing about it was the music. Everything else was pure rubbish.

Ground Control 2. Everything that made GC a joy to play, such as the near non existent hud that could easily be ignored, replaced by two thirds of the screen being taken up by rubbish graphics. The camera control scheme, perfected in the original, changed and clunky.

Firewarrior. The first half of the game is rubbish but the second half is actually good! From the point where you leave the Tau ship after escaping the planet, it becomes fun but everything before hand is a dull, slug through anger town. I have to admit though, the book based on it is fucking excellent.

Metal Gear Solid. Could just not like this game no matter how hard I tried.

Murray09

Mar 5, 2008
Fire Warrior, The Outfit( played for about ten minutes and sent it back to the rental store), Call of Juarez, Clive Barker's Jericho, Phantasy Star Universe, Lineage 2, and many many, more.

flyingspoon

Jun 3, 2008
I'm going to say much's oddesy i loved abes oddesey and exodus but munch's was well not as fun as i expected and please excuse my horrible spelling

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Fallensky7 said:
shatnershaman said:
Portal, wasn't fun wasn't funny short as hell.
Sir. Your just wrong, just so.....damn......wrong (exept about the short part).

and for me, i would have to say Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Sir. Your just wrong, just so.....damn......intolerant.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
How has no one mentioned Final Fantasy X-2? That game was so fucking terrible.

Recent disappointments would include UT3 and CoD4 multiplayer.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
Halo 2 did it for me. After absolutely loving Halo: Combat Evolved (being the first FPS I properly played and enjoyed right the way through, apart from the level, "Keyes", UGH), I found Halo 2 really disappointing. The timed run at the end of Halo was exciting, and at first, challenging. I was a bit staggered when I found myself upon a boss battle at the end of Halo 2.

A boss battle?? That's the sort of thing reserved for RPGs and JRPGs and anything OTHER than the Halo series. Plus the guy had a shield and the stupid hammer that wiped out most of the AI help at the beginning, so the odds were stacked against you. I just hated how Bungie thought they had to include it to spice it up a little.

I also didn't like the level design in Halo 2. Sure, they didn't do the ol' "lets go through it again, but backwards," that Halo suffered from, but the levels themselves were pretty samey. Corridor after corridor introduced Flood spore after Flood spore... I found myself not caring if the Master Chief's helmet fell off and the Flood infected his brain.

I even preferred the music in Halo: CE. And Halo 3. Halo 2's soundtrack didn't do it for me at all.

artstsym

May 7, 2008
Killzone: It looked fun, but the only redeeming feature of it was the fucking awesome machine gun that the third character had.

Oblivion: Seriously, WTF? How could Bethesda screw with a formula that I had loved (except for the whole 'the entire continent hates you' part, good riddance)?

Halo 3: No, actually. I was impressed, as when I found out that Bungie had resorted to a cheap cliffhanger, I was pissed. I'd say the real dissapointer was H2.

Brawl: I don't actually know if I was disapointed the first time I played. The hype vs smack talk had been all over the place for me, and my expectations were like a rollercoaster. It probably did, though.

Doom 3: As Ben put it, tripped in the dark and forgot it wasn't System Shock. Major downer.

Baldur's Gate (All): Let's just say my friends are all stupid and leave it at that.

Wind Waker: Looked fucking awesome until I hit the sailing. Nintendo needs to stop taking stupid pills.

RE4: I heard the difficulty had been toned down a notch and the freakiness cranked up. Wrong on the latter and and understatement to say the former.

Just a few.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Andaxay said:
I even preferred the music in Halo: CE. And Halo 3. Halo 2's soundtrack didn't do it for me at all.
I 100% agree I liked 2 count them 2 songs in halo 2 even though there were like 40 (the halo theme's mjolnir remix and blow me away)

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
hustlerone91 said:
FINAL FANTASY 12 was disappointing for me.it had a boring battle system, boring set of cast, useless summons I mean sacrificing both your party members just to summon one and watch them get 1 hit k'oed by most bosses they act more like a liability rather than saving grace. this game actually is a substitute for depressants cause it left me sleeping through all of it.
I agree. The characters were bland and terribly cliche, the summons were absolutely pointless to the point that I never used them, and the entire game's scenery (and its music) felt heavily leaned towards StarWars; this is especially true around the desert area. It was over hyped and, while my friend likes it, I did not.

I was most disappointed by the fact that Bahamut was not a dragon.

Valkyrie Profile 2. It's like Square sucked the soul out of the greatness that was VP1 and released a fan-based game only for more cash. All of the characters, even the ones returning from VP1, were cliche. There's so much death and emo polluting the game (not in the way VP1 was where you revived dead people for your army, but in a Shakespeare wanna be drama way) that you wait to see when character C will off himself finally and get it over with so Character A can whine about it and cry out her drolling dialogue for the next ten minutes. Game II in the series was not about battling, but about getting from point a to b to watch a movie cut scene. The game was made even worse by the weapon/item/mini game scheme because you spent more time flipping through the item screens or delivering some item you raped off a monster to a store to make a weapon than playing the game and watching the movies combined. The Mini games, which you went through to get better, newer items and weapons, were terrible as well as they were never distinct enough to even be called mini games (Ie, feeding a cat 15 fish for a dead mouse) and you would not know where to go to collect the item or what mini games existed without forking over another 20 dollars for the strategy guide.

Niniux

Apr 14, 2008
Well, I didn't preorder it or read about it a ton. But, from all the glowing reviews I'd read about The Orange Box by fellow gamers, I decided to get it.

Half-Life 2 just didn't draw me in. The gameplay wasn't good enough to redeem any sort of story I could have garnered from it.

TF2 was slightly above average but only slightly.

And Portal was a gem, but a 5 hour gem doesn't justify the disappointing purchase. :(

exoneuk

May 1, 2008
SpookyPandaMan said:
Shadow The Hedgehog Now That Sucked...
I still think Shadow The Hedgehog was going to suck from the moment Sega said "let's give Shadow a gun", which constantly makes me wonder whether Sega are now run by monosyllabic-spewing morons. They redeemed themselves slightly with... er... no wait, they still have yet to fulfil the Sonic The Hedgehog potential for the current gen so BOO to them.

Card Fighters Clash on the DS - HOW DARE YOU RUIN YOURSELF! BAD YOU!
Draglade - the same game FOUR TIMES. Wonderful.

666thHeretic

May 26, 2008
shatnershaman said:
Portal, wasn't fun wasn't funny short as hell.
You are a bad man. A bad man with no taste.

For me, it would be Half-Life 2. Now, I didn't play it a lot, but I was expecting this game to be so good that by the end I would rather another playthrough to sex (that's how big the hype was, I shit you not). And then it took me ages to find a damn crowbar. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying I was expecting it to make everything I had ever loved pale in comparison and it didn't even come close.

Portoparty

Feb 27, 2008
Age of Mythology:
god, that game sucked!

Age of Empires 3:
they took everything great about age of empires, flushed it down the toilet and then added a stupid trading card game.

Battlefield 2142:
do I even need to start talking?

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars:
I was so excited... SOOOO excited, I thought this was going to be the next battlefield, except with genuinely unique classes, and some awesome tweaks to gameplay... what we got was a Run and Gun, Enemy Territory mess that isn't even faithful to quake in any way, shape, or form.