Most disappointing game?

Silverookami

Jan 29, 2008
harhol said:
Final Fantasy XII

After FFX being perfect in every way and several years of waiting we get a completely awful non-story and a frankly laughable battle system.
...yeah, but it had Balthier so I can't write it off completely. Also, the amount of side questing to be done was fairly impressive to me, even if I didn't give a damn about most of the characters except Balthier and Larsa (and NO, not in THAT way.) I was also sad that the Espers were largely irrelevant, they're honestly still sitting unclaimed on my license boards except for the one you have to use to open the gate to Giruvegan. Gotta say it still scores higher than FF9 for me at least.

Total word though about FFX. It's my favourite FF game in terms of play, graphics and story telling. Oh, woulda liked camera control though. I appreciate that FFXII at least had camera control.

aRealGuitarHero707

May 19, 2008
harhol said:
Final Fantasy XII

After FFX being perfect in every way and several years of waiting we get a completely awful non-story and a frankly laughable battle system.
i dunno i'd have to say that X-2 was worse than XII
After coming down from pure awesomeness that wasX only to be given a sub-par sequal was more disappointing to me

crepesack

May 20, 2008
gta IV was a dissapointment to me, dont get me wrong though it was fun for a few moments whilst i killed a bunch of strippers but after awhile i realised how much i missed the idiocy of gta II and III also the selection of available cheats really disapointed me. However online play lasted awhile before i got drawn back to my fps's like Cod4, Gow and my jrpgs, final fantasy's 3- DS 4-6 i have anthology versions for ps1 i sold 7 though. and Phantasy Star Online for the game cube but overall another disapointment was ff XI the biggest rip off in all history and also FF XII big strategy guide little of anything else.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
For me, I would have to say Assassin's Creed. Don't get me wrong, some parts of the game are pure epic genius, but those parts are smothered by the several repetitive and boring tasks that really just ruin the game for the gamers...

And for the rest of the world, ET for the atari, since that disappointed fans on a scale not even Lair could match...

SoupFTW

Jun 7, 2008
I'd have to say SSBB. Melee had been, by far, my favorite game for 6 solid years (played the 64 version some, bought Melee the day it came out). The Dojo updates made it out to be a complete masterpiece, while it turned out to be a lump of shit incarnated in a Wii game.

The physics are messed up to the extreme - anyone can recover from pretty much anything
Stage Builder is sadly lacking in parts.
There's no skill like in Melee. Like ZP said, a dog chewing on a controller is just as likely to win as you are.
The achievements are totally unrewarding to get - all you get is a few characters and some stickers.
WTF? You put in BS characters like ROB and Toon Link, rather than someone who should be in like Megaman?
WHY is Ganondorf still a Captain Falcon clone?

Fail, Sakurai. Total fail.

SeniorDingDong

Jan 8, 2008
Hellgate London : It sounded all perfect : made by most of the original Diablo 1&2 cast, cool new setting, FPS / RPG / MMO hybrid and in the result it was a laggy, buggy, boring and undone waste of my time and money. Its realy bad for a game thats is meant to be played over and over again when you get so much bored after the first finish.

ColinMcRae DiRT : I realy liked the first two CMR games. They where a great addition to my beloved Sega Rally games and they found the right balance between simulation and joyfull gameplay. Then, Codemasters turned into user unfriendly assholes by limiting the career mode to Ford only and removing the Cockpit view. So I skiped the last two games. Now DiRT. To sum it up : its a product of its time or in other words a dumped down nothing between unrealistic simulation or fucked up arcrade controls, removed content like totaly unimportant things when you race through nature like weather effects in but useless additions like truck racing in extremely overbloomed brown.

Nanostray : Its over in 20 minutes, yet has no unlockable content and nothing more then a pimped C64 game. Yes, the technology on the DS is impressive, but it sooner or later it will be called to look old and then only the boring gameplay remains in the end.

Sayvara

Oct 11, 2007
Four pages... and noone mentioned Neverwinter Nights II?! Good god, I bounced right out of that game already on the character creation screen. That was the most horrid player models I have ever seen!

Neverwinter Nights (I) was allright... though the weird user interface did its best to break the immersion. But I suppose I had better get down to finish playing that... and BGII. The multiplayer persistent worlds were awesome though. Best online roleplaying I have ever seen.

/S

klakkat

May 24, 2008
Looking back on it, I haven't been impressed by a Final Fantasy game since 6; I only really enjoyed them at the time since there was nothing better. FF7 was decent, but then I found a better JRPG series, Breath of Fire (excluding 3... and Dragon quarter. bleh). After that, I eventually found the Western RPGs, to the tune of Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment, the Baldur's gate series, System Shock 2, and Deus Ex, and I can't remember what I ever saw in JRPGs. I guess I like the more western style of giving the character some personality, rather than having it all force-fed to you, so FF 12 shouldn't have been a letdown; I should have seen it coming, but I think I have some kind of condition that prevents me from having any decent foresight.

As for Neverwinter 2... I did end up avoiding that. Neverwinter 1 had its good points, no doubt, but I'd rather play CoH if I'm going to play a repetitive game anyway, and at least get good character models, more people, and (surprisingly) better story...

Edit: I just remembered one of my biggest annoyances with JRPGs: the ending. Most of the time, the story gets worse and worse as you get close to the end, with in extreme case it becoming a contrived pile of bullshit (I often call this 'FFX syndrome' as that is the most pronounced case, but ALL the FF series sees this). Some of them don't do this; Breath of Fire 4 had a decent if slightly bland story throughout and this didn't change towards the end, though earlier games in that series fall under the same syndrome. Western RPGs typically don't do this either; at least, they usually don't (KoTOR2 did... and hard). That's not to say FFX was all that bad; the story was fairly shitty looking back on it but I had fun playing it, and that's all you can really ask for. FFXII was fun for awhile, but it kept drying up and feeling pointless, as do the other FF games whenever I try replaying them.

Nov 6, 2007
I'd have to say without a doubt that the single most disappointing game I've ever had the misfortune to play was Fallout Tactics. Here I was eagerly awaiting a new chapter in the fallout series and they give us this assanine schtik? I pray to the vault dweller every night that Bethesda doesn't cock up Fallout 3. it's the only game I've actually ever preordered. I'm that excited about it.

Neeko Masochist

Apr 11, 2008
The most disappointing game for me would have to be Lost Planet: Extreme Conditions. I LOVED it right up to the last mission where the simple suit of VS Armour turns into a space aged flying mecha with huge swords, uncanny plasma cannons and one hit kills. Now granted I am a mecha fan who likes to see explosions everywhere, huge robots hitting each other and metal body parts flying everywhere (Kinda like me on Armoured Core 3 that is, no PS3 yet so no AC4.)

But I have to tell you, closer to the end I thought the uplink Wayne used would make his fathers VS he pilots bigger, stronger, faster and have a hard-core, high-speed epic battle similar to something you would see off Zone Of Enders (Zoe) except the Lost Planet ripped off the amazing battles in the air that I've had on Zoe. It rather took the fun out of it, the game would have been rather better if the combat had taken place on the ground with destructible terrain and absolutely god-like weapons and more VS backing up the bad guy which you have to take care of also like I've seen in most games, a Boss and his (Sometimes continuously spawning) cannon-fodder, something to spice up the battle.

klakkat

May 24, 2008
EvilEngineNumberNine said:
I'd have to say without a doubt that the single most disappointing game I've ever had the misfortune to play was Fallout Tactics. Here I was eagerly awaiting a new chapter in the fallout series and they give us this assanine schtik? I pray to the vault dweller every night that Bethesda doesn't cock up Fallout 3. it's the only game I've actually ever preordered. I'm that excited about it.
Ahh. Yeah. Forgot about that. Its good for blowing off steam but has no depth, poor story, and below-average squad combat layout.

If they remember their trying to tell a story in Fallout 3 and not just churn out a generic RPG with some gimmicky bit added on, then it should turn out good... Here's hoping.

rayman 101

Jun 7, 2008
I have a few games that I thought were great in the beggining, but turn out to be pretty mediocre afterwards and was very dissapointed I bought them .(halo 3 is not one of those, I like halo 3)

sonic the hedgehog

spiderman 3 (yes i know, why would anybody play that?)

ratchet deadlocked (it isn't mediocre, but the sudden change of gameplay didn't make it as fun as the others)

halo 2 ( first halo i played was halo 3. after that i wanted to play the others. played halo CE, thought it was great. played halo 2, thought it had boring, mediocre level design.)

Mephilese

Jun 2, 2008
GTA IV and Sonic the Hegdehog next gen.
I love both the series but in my opinion they failed on these two games...

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Oh man, how could I forget to mention Hellgate London? I think I forced myself to forget that the game ever existed since I was such a huge Diablo 2 fan.

Jan 14, 2008
brawl was just less than expected. i was actually excited about the stage builder. i kick myself now

goblin commander for the gamecube. i remember seeing articles about it and was really excited to get it. pff

i had the new worms game for the wii at one point. i took it back in 3 hours.

now im too skeptical about games. i see one that looks great, but after past experiences, im really hesitant on getting them. which is for the better i guess, then the prices drop a little before im confident in getting them

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Zelda: Twilight Princess.

The game was just broken. Broken, dated controls, ugly graphics, uninspired story, characters and music. I loved Wind Waker for it's happy visuals. To me, WW was more in synch with the fun, happy Zeldas of yesterday than the epic 64 offerings, but Twilight was just so, so boring.

Jan 14, 2008
Terramax said:
Zelda: Twilight Princess.

The game was just broken. Broken, dated controls, ugly graphics, uninspired story, characters and music. I loved Wind Waker for it's happy visuals. To me, WW was more in synch with the fun, happy Zeldas of yesterday than the epic 64 offerings, but Twilight was just so, so boring.
i liked twilight princess, but i think it was trying to hard to have what ocarina had. it could have been better, but i still had fun playing it to the end. what they need in a zelda is a game that either requires a lot of thinking or a guide. ocarina didnt really have clear direction and some of the temples (water temple cough cough) werent obvious to get through. tp on the other hand really only had one option after you completed a task, so it was a straightforward game