Most emotional songs in games

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
This is my first thread in quite a while. Quite whimsical too. Oh well.

Basically: rather than going for the standard done-1 million-times approach of "best game OST", I'm going to ask you to show us the most moving, heartwarming/breaking, and beautiful pieces of music you've heard in games.

No. 1:

<youtube=OIUxwEJ-GXI>

I thought for a while that this was a piece of music called "Agnus Dei", but apparently it's actually just Adagio for Strings with a chorus. Personally, I think it's more beautiful than the original orchestra. And it's implemented so well... *sniff*

No. 2:

<youtube=yyDZscyf8lU>

I always make a point of listening to this if it comes up in the main menu. Such a wonderfully emotive piece of music. Especially combined with the slow, passive looping video on the main menu... it's genuinely beautiful. Too bad it doesn't actually appear in the campaign.

Honourable mention:

<youtube=JXORDZt5Rfk>

Like No.2, I wish this had played more in the game. It's not beautiful like the others, but it's relaxing and subtle. Alas, it only played for a few seconds in one rather insignificant section of the game - and I'm pretty sure I managed to somehow not trigger it then.

So, people of the Escapist: what are your entries?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
Basically: rather than going for the standard done-1 million-times approach of "best game OST", I'm going to ask you to show us the most moving, heartwarming/breaking, and beautiful pieces of music you've heard in games.
For all intents and purposes that's exactly the same thing

And you will get exactly the same results.

Just saying.

PS. Nice choices.

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
Still Alive. Closest I ever was to crying while being influenced by some type of media.

Chrono Trigger also had some really emotional stuff
<youtube=4Pu6_0R_gzs>
<youtube=hSwK-C2vZBQ>

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009

Hey, whenever I heard that sound it sure as shit got an emotional response from me.

Zachary Unkle

Jan 16, 2011
Number 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UzM1PxXCbg

Number 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7w76B7fO_4&feature=related

Number 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXgXgsTYV2Y&feature=related

ShiverHeart

Apr 3, 2011
Nier has some amazingly moving music. The ones that struck me most were your allies' personal songs.

Emil's:
<youtube=rlBbmPJK6zM>

Kaine's:
<youtube=tNQww1Sme0o>

and of course this one strikes a major chord, especially if you know where it happens in the game.
<youtube=LCMAwzkPMbU>

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Elmoth said:
OhJohnNo said:
Elmoth said:
Emotional does not necessarily mean slow and "sad". Atleast not to me.
True. But in this context, that is what I'm referring to.
Ok then. I didn't really get that from your opening post. But I think more posts and discussion might be made if we post songs that also made us angry, scared or happy etc. . .
But since most songs exist to make you feel some sort of emotion, that would in effect be the same as making a "best video game OST" thread.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
The soundtrack of Civilization V. There's a lot of great stuff.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
All of the songs with words in Red Dead Redemption.
The first especially. Stepping into Mexico will forever be one of my favourite gaming moments of all time.

Seriously, just fucking listen to it.
So fucking pretty

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
The fittingly named "Emotion" from Pokemon Black and White. Most beautiful song I've heard in a Pokemon game, playing at two rather moving moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrn5TXjl_dM

Itego

Aug 30, 2010
The ballad of the wind fish from Zelda DX link's awakening.
(couldn't find the original version :<)