Most Frightening Game You've Seen?

Red Hood

Sep 3, 2009
This isnt really a competition, man..... Anyway, F.E.A.R are you serious? That game didn't even make me jump... F.E.A.R was more action based than "fear-based". It wasn't even intimidating to say the least.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
The laughs in Killer 7 were terrifying for all of about a second, but then they just became tedious *sigh* like most of the game.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
Doom 3. When I first played it (age 11) I quit before finishing the first level. (Xbox)

When I came back to play it again, (age 14) I still had to stop every 15 mins or so because my heart was racing.

Even now (age 17) with the PC version (Which is A LOT better) the game still finds ways to surprise me, despite the fact that's I've played through it a half dozen times.

Only game that's legitimately scare me.

AWOL

Jun 22, 2010
HT_Black said:
Condemned. Specificially, the locker scene. You know which part I'm talking about.
Yes I do. *shudder*

OT: I'd have to say Condemned as well, there were just so many well-planned and extremely well executed moments. The school and department store levels were the worst (best?) in my opinion.

Bioshock also gets an honorable mention, but not the abomination that was Bioshock 2.

King British

Apr 15, 2010
HT_Black said:
Condemned. Specificially, the locker scene. You know which part I'm talking about.
Oh good lord the locker scene... and the "vision" scenes, and the end and GAH that game freaked me out. Two other bits which stick in my mind are:
1. The department store level where the crazies would pretend to be dummies and then sneak up behind you when you walked past. It's cliché but it always made me jump
2. The fight/chase with serial killer X in the farmhouse. I love the fact that he's always giggling wierdly and you never know whether he's scared of you or just toying with you and when he jumps at you is it controlled or desperate... really tense scene

And a really frightening game.

Nin9Worlds

Jun 7, 2010
SnootyEnglishman said:
Nightmare Creatures. I don't really need to say anymore.
Thats some scary game, nice to see an older school game popping up :)

Playing the original Silent Hill was a heart stopping experience, its is such a weird and ****** up game. Of course Silent Hill 2 is a masterpiece.

Condemned: criminal origins -> very very scary game.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
DOOM & Heretic when I was 7 years old...

Nothing has ever scared me that much sense...

micky

Apr 27, 2009
I would have to say dead space was the scariest game I played. They studied pictures of car crash victims to make realistic carnage...... toward the end it was less scary though.

Thimblefoot

May 10, 2009
Feckin' Metro 2033. It takes a lot to be able to scare me in games.

The level where the ghost are first brought in, where standing by the pipes for too long causes...scary things to happen.

The whole game was tense and had an impending feeling of dread. Great stuff. Fallout 3 with darker night mods freak me out too, maybe it has something to do with post-apocalyptic settings.

Sandorya

May 17, 2010
The nasty, nasty game of love. True Love. True Love 95. I was scared shitless of that old gipsy lady.

Phoenix09215

Dec 24, 2008
Fatal Frame is easily the scariest game ever invnented... I couldn;t even complete it freaked me out that much :S

And Resident evil 1 remake on the gamecube always creeped me out but its an awesome game!!! The atmosphere is so damn good in that game! No music, just the sound of the rain outside. your footsteps and the occasionaly groan from a zombie that you can't see...

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
While I believe Silent Hill 2 is the best SH game, Silent Hill 3 was the scarier game. Silent Hill 1 also trumps it, purely for the skinless knived babies in the gradeschool alone.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Red Hood said:
This isnt really a competition, man..... Anyway, F.E.A.R are you serious? That game didn't even make me jump... F.E.A.R was more action based than "fear-based". It wasn't even intimidating to say the least.
yeah I'm serious, FEAR is a scary game, sure you have to immerse yourself in the game i.e. keep the gamma correct, turn your lights out and wear headphones to get the full effect, but then all subtle horror require that you pay attention , anything else is just shock and shock =/= horror.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
I am surprised no one has said Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of The Earth. I haven't played it, but I thought that I read people saying it was scary. It is about Cthulhu ffs.

ResiEvalJohn

Nov 23, 2009
"Barbie Adventure" for the gameboy advance. Scary shit!

Haha, but seriously, Doom 64 scared me to all hell when I was a kid. I remember before the cyber demon appeared, there was that scary music, and the rockets, and I was freaking out man!

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Thief: Deadly Shadows, although weakest of the Thief series, had a moment of pure brilliance with The Shalebridge Cradle. That level was near perfect gaming horror! I can't think of any other 'one level' that stands out so much from the rest of the game.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines also had its moments of frightening brilliance. But the most scary 'overall' game I've played was System Shock 2. The lower levels of the ship, Engineering, were crazy unnerving with untold horror seemingly around every corner. Damn good game!

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
SnootyEnglishman said:
Nightmare Creatures. I don't really need to say anymore.
Wow, someone else who remembers that game, I played it when I was about nine, scared the crap out of me.
As for the scariest game I've ever played I think I'll go with Silent Hill 2.