Most Gamers Haven't Heard of Natal or Move

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
Sony's marketing department is better it would seem! marginally XD
It's gotten better but their PR is still utter crap.

It's not too surprising people haven't heard of them, They aren't even out yet and weren't the names only released recently.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
The only things I've heard about the 2 were online. This is a problem if they're trying to snag away customers from Nintendo who eat this sort of stuff up. Most of those gamers don't research stuff online, which is a very bad move from both of those companies. Throw up a commercial or something!

Matters not to me though, I'm not wasting my time with either.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Considering they're too busy playing crap like Modern Warfare 2 and Red Dead Redemption, I don't blame them. Actually, I can.

New ideas are constantly pushed aside for older rehashed garbage, so even if NATAL or MOVE were any good, I bet few people would buy it.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
This is especially bad since the "broad sense" of gamer is the exact audience they're both shooting for. This might even call for some backpedaling from several big names who predicted the launch of Move and Natal will cause a grand enlightenment that will make every Wii owner on the planet see it as the anachronistic (they can't use gimmicky anymore) husk they originally thought it was at launch

I will be laughing my head off if "Round 2" of this generation ends up repeating the launch.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
We've been through the age of gimmicks
Technically (unless you count the awful gamecube controller), the age of gimmicks started with the Nintendo DS. It hit infancy with the Wii, and now it's approaching adolescence. We're still firmly stuck in the age of gimmicks really.

I really don't see how people can not see the potential of Natal. How about Dance Dance Revolution without a floor mat, or even a fantasy fps where you cast spells with gestures and swing a plastic sword that actually appears to cleave through your enemies? That's ignoring the sheer awesomness of controlling your movie and music playback with gestures or voice. Sure, I don't buy that there's that much potential for full blown games without any form of controller, but combined with a simple thumbstick and trigger (like the wii nunchuck, as much as it pains me to say it), we're talking the ability to combine something like house of the dead with a full blown FPS with full interaction. Want to shove a zombie to the right and then punch the one behind it? Go for it. Wanna throw a grenade at its feet and then duck as its body flies over you? Sure, go right ahead. With a little imagination there's a heck of a lot of potential there.

How about interactive martial arts training? Sure it wouldn't technically be a game (and it wouldn't be able to replace proper instruction), but it'd certainly be better than any similiar software on the wii. It could make sure you were performing every move correctly, and you could even 'spar' with an on screen opponent.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
The problem is that they cant advertise it since they don't really have anything worthwhile to show for all their efforts yet.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Natal is so fucking expensive that it mimicks the 80's and 90's consoles with their addons. Tell me one addon that ever sold well....... That's right.

Estocavio

Aug 5, 2009
elexis said:
This is the only website where I have heard anything about the natal or move, there have been no advertisements on tv or though gaming retail stores. Did someone forget to hire a marketing team?
I suppose it was sort of advertised via Youtube, some event last year and Xbox.com, but they really, really need to branch out more. On the flipside, everyone who read this now knows!

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Carnagath said:
Natal is so fucking expensive that it mimicks the 80's and 90's consoles with their addons. Tell me one addon that ever sold well....... That's right.
If it adds enough to the experience it'll sell. Add ons in the past have sold poorly because they haven't offered anything particularly new or haven't had software support. Who on earth would buy an updrade like the 32X when they could just buy the Saturn with more games and the real specs rather than shelling out for what amounted to a half arsed 'upgrade kit'? The PS3 and Xbox 360 directly boosted sales of HDTVs, and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do a similiar job for budget (£50-£150) 5.1 surround systems. Compared to the price of these things, Natal isn't that expensive. Plus, the fact of the matter is that enough of a push is being made that home 3D will take off in the next 5 years, for better or worse. Imagine the implications of natal combined with 3D. Yeah, I'd say that people will pay for full 3 dimensional virtual interaction. Just wait until tactile feedback is taken to the same level (Can't see it happening anytime soon, but since we already have toys like the Jedi Trainer that actually feed off of brain activity, I give it ten years maybe before we're generating physical sensations without full on 'feedback suit' type peripherals). Lol, the adult film industry will go mental over it :D

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Depends who they asked.

If they asked anyone on here we'd all know I imagine. If you ask some guy who owns a 360 and only uses it for Fifa and CoD then it's unlikely they've heard of it.

Mako SOLDIER said:
2400 gamers? That's hardly a substantial sample.
There's only like 800 people polled in the UK to predict the outcome of a general election - it's a fair amount.

As you can see though, I agree that it very much depends on your definition of "gamer" and what "type" of gamer they are.

siddif

Aug 11, 2009
Ive heard of them and i dont want them, i already have a Wii no desire to emulate that on other consoles badly...

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
SteelStallion said:
While we're on the subject... I get what Natal is doing, 3D motion sensing camera, kind of like an eye toy that can detect depth and stuff.

But what's Move do? I mean, from what I say it's exactly like the Wii mote. I don't get it, what's so special about Move?
It's the same as the Wii-mote, but it apparently works a lot better and it's for the PS3. I have more hope for it than Natal but i can't imagine either of them doing well.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Jack and Calumon said:
If Gamer includes those shut ins who play Call of Duty non stop, then this is understandable.
Not to mention the Halo-ites on 360, too.

But I'm shocked at the 360 numbers. The 360 dashboard videos are whoring it out every week.
Wouldn't be surprised if most people don't watch those videos. The hosts they have for their "sentuamessage" or whatever it's called are quite bad and painful to watch.

... and yeah, the Halo and CoD shut-ins would be in the dark when it comes to things that happen outside of those games. If they have heard of it, I'm sure they'd think it's a gay idea. Just like how everything else is equally gay and faggy.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
Well, that's what E3 gives them the opportunity to do now: advertise.

Although, how some gamers are still unaware of either is a mystery to me. They've been pretty much rammed down our throats on the internet...

t_rexaur

Feb 14, 2008
Mako SOLDIER said:
Technically (unless you count the awful gamecube controller), the age of gimmicks started with the Nintendo DS. It hit infancy with the Wii, and now it's approaching adolescence. We're still firmly stuck in the age of gimmicks really.

I really don't see how people can not see the potential of Natal. How about Dance Dance Revolution without a floor mat, or even a fantasy fps where you cast spells with gestures and swing a plastic sword that actually appears to cleave through your enemies? That's ignoring the sheer awesomness of controlling your movie and music playback with gestures or voice. Sure, I don't buy that there's that much potential for full blown games without any form of controller, but combined with a simple thumbstick and trigger (like the wii nunchuck, as much as it pains me to say it), we're talking the ability to combine something like house of the dead with a full blown FPS with full interaction. Want to shove a zombie to the right and then punch the one behind it? Go for it. Wanna throw a grenade at its feet and then duck as its body flies over you? Sure, go right ahead. With a little imagination there's a heck of a lot of potential there.

How about interactive martial arts training? Sure it wouldn't technically be a game (and it wouldn't be able to replace proper instruction), but it'd certainly be better than any similiar software on the wii. It could make sure you were performing every move correctly, and you could even 'spar' with an on screen opponent.
People like you remind me of the utter hypocrisy of the internet. You clearly hate the Wii and it's controller, and yet now Microsoft are doing something similar you are fawning over it like a love sick teenager. Hell you've pretty much just taken the promo videos and are trying to hype them here.

It's not going to work, or at least, all rational logic points to the fact that it shouldn't work. The biggest argument against the Wii motion controls is that you have to flail your arms about. Do you honestly, truly expect said people to start flailing their entire bodies?

Actually there's no real point arguing with you is there? Pretty much your entire post screams "I am a anti Nintendo, pro XBox fanboy".

Crayzor

Aug 16, 2009
I'm not surprised people haven't heard of them. Aside from websites that focus on gaming news, I haven't seen any advertising anywhere at all. Have Microsoft aor Sony even started their marketing campaigns yet?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Ill be honest too, I wouldnt have heard of it if not for the escapist...They really need to start getting its sname out there!