Most impossible fan base to please?

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Transformers fans. Seriously, practically the poster child for Broken Base and so much fanwank and bullshit slung for the slightest reason regarding the smallest things. The new movies from Michael Bay have only made this insanity worse. We're not as bad as some sects of the Twilight fanbase but I think that's only cos we haven't attacked people yet.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
icame said:
Also, while I disagree on both points of Half life and mass effect, fine, lets assume for a second that you do indeed have to try to get into them. There's a difference between 2 hours or so, and TWENTYFIVE TO THIRTY.
I would like to point out that even fans of the game say it takes about four to six hours. Heck, some people like it from the beginning, hate it, then end up loving it again which isn't exactly a bad thing. I mean, I can think of parts in most Zelda games that I don't care too much for and their loved by almost everyone.

My point is, a slow start isn't reason for dismissal. If it was really twenty to thirty hours, I'd concur. Completely. That's too much. But it takes about six hours for each disc when you're taking it slow, and the game starts to gain interest right before disc two. It's during disc two where I can honestly say it wowed me. And I expected to despise this game being a die-hard fan of JRPGS such as FFIX, Xenogears, Lost Odyssey and the Tales franchise.

People in reviews aren't exaggerating when they say it gets really great twenty hours in. Twenty hours in is about the time you put in disc three and the world become wide open where the player gets access to complete free-roam, missions, and even goals to work towards. Once there, you realize that the whole game had been prepping the player for that part in general, so that they wouldn't have to master the battle system whilst trying to get lost, nor would they have to worry about setting up the story in a free-roam environment. It was actually a smart development choice that tried to satisfy both fans of the linear FFX and the nonlinear FFXII. It's just that the game requires commitment.

Also, I agree with you about HL2 and ME. However, I let friends borrow those games and it took a lot of effort for them because, unlike us, they don't play a lot of games. Thus, I was speaking purely from past experience.

TheEvilJester

Nov 18, 2009
PatSilverFox said:
drbarno said:
the sonic fanbase, they complain about everything that happens in the games,
They have a right to complain, most sonic games are trash now-a-days. I heard the one for the DS was good though.
Well congratulations you basically just sounded off like a Sonic Fanboy. They always complain about the games trumpeting their opinions as facts.

Hell I used to be a Sonic fan and the fanbase literally killed it for me. They *****. About ANYTHING.

MadCapMunchkin

Charismatic Stallion
Apr 23, 2010
Doctor Who seems to be one that people apparently just can't enjoy the storyline without picking it apart to ribbons, which is depressing.

Gamewise, a lot of Elder Scrolls fanboys seem to like either Morrowind or Oblivion and hate every other game in the series (including Arena and Daggerfall, which were good for their time, I think), including Skyrim already. Seriously, the game isn't even out yet.

And Fallout, good freaking grief! Apparently you either like 1 and 2 or you like 3 and New Vegas, with the spin-off games varying. I remember when 3 came out, they were all complaining "Oh, it's not like the first two, it sucks!" and then when New Vegas came out (and I swear I'm not even joking about this) some of the same people going "Oh, it's not like 3! It sucks so much!!!"

Maybe people are just heavily indecisive by nature on what they like? I don't know. It's just weird...

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Valdsator said:
irani_che said:
at this point
I do not know how Duke Nukem can possible impress its fans enough to justify the 10 year delay. I mean, nothing short of this game elevating games to a recognized artistic medium, its writers earning noble prizes in literature, while it still is as violent and agressive and non-cover based shooter as possible, all the while keeping true to the previous installments.

It will still be good, but it will inevitably fall short
14 years, actually. :p

A lot of Duke fans are not looking at the game expecting it to make up for the 14 year delay. They just want to get the game that they were supposed to get in 1998, except with better graphics, more polish, and more interactivity, which is what the new Duke Nukem Forever is, basically.

Of course, there will be some who expect the game to be the greatest in the universe. So great that alien bastards invade our planet searching for the game, and by playing the game, we will have trained to be an army of Duke Nukems, to fight back the aliens.
i was gonna say this.

DNF had a crazy, messed up life. But just because it took 14 years to make, don't expect a game that has been worked on for 14 years... what i mean is that with all the restarts, everytime they switched hardwares and softwares and engine swaps, in the end, its still just a product of a few years worth of work in a way. that being said, even as i watched the jetpack dilemma, i knew this game was gonna live up to any of my own expectations. it would have been easy enough for duke to jack the pack and land. but no sir! not mr. nukem, he flies corpses through windows.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
Katana314 said:
DigitalAtlas said:
I found HL2 fairly interesting myself, however, speaking from anecdotes, I had to force my friend to play till he Barney threw him the crowbar. After that, he fell in love with the game. And thank you for not defending WoW.

I do agree though. Captivating the player needs to become a necessity, pending on your audience of course. Some day, I pray that games where it takes the time to build up the characters and atmosphere can be appreciated in the same library as those that start off with explosions. Or if audiences expanded enough, devs wouldn't be afraid to start their story slow. I remember playing Tales of Symphonia and how slow that started after I read how great it was. After I committed? Twas an epic game I still own today.
I get what you're saying, but here's the issue. There are LOTS and LOTS of games of BOTH types (explosions and epic story-driven games) What if every reviewer for Tales of Symphonia couldn't stand the first two hours, and stopped playing after that? How can I, personally, tell that a game is GOING to be good? Moviemakers really value those first 15 minutes of a movie because that's what they hope to really get someone interested and wondering "What happens next??" It's in that span of time that someone determines if the piece of media is worth spending time on.

Let me give you an example. I absolutely adore the game Aquaria. It's a little obscure, and very indie. Let's assume that if you were to get about 2 or 3 hours into it, you would really, really enjoy it and want to finish it. Assuming I gave you little other recommendation other than just to try it, you might not make it that far because it was just one of many, many random games you heard about in passing on an internet forum. (I can assume every reader of this thread is not trying out every game people mention)

There are a lot of games now, and critics are corrupt. That 10 minutes or so is right ahead of the box art in motivating you to finish the game.
I saw caps and wasn't going to acknowledge this post due to anger levels seeming to rise and the chances of misinterpreting my posts would increase. However, when I saw you referenced Aquaria, my favorite Metroidvania, I deemed this post intellectual and read it rather than skimmed it :p

On that jesting note, I completely agree about critics being corrupt. That important bit I agree with concerning games like Bioshock that greatly take advantage of intros. However, RPG's work to build every character and every bit of the world without taking advantage of amnesia or other plot devices used for skipping to the good parts. Tis the only reason I mentioned a need for games that require a level or two of patience. As amazing as Aquaria was, even that used Amnesia to speed things up.

-EDITED FOR GRAMMAR-

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
The Zelda Fanbase.
Seriously.
Every game its the same thing.
They hate it because its not like the last one.
Once one comes out that's taken inspiration from another Zelda game its hated and the old new Zelda game is an instant beloved title.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Definitely the Sonic fanbase.

One video depicts of a guy watching a preview of Sonic the Hedgehog 4 and whines that they are using the modern Sonic instead of the classic Sonic.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
MadCapMunchkin said:
I remember when 3 came out, they were all complaining "Oh, it's not like the first two, it sucks!" and then when New Vegas came out (and I swear I'm not even joking about this) some of the same people going "Oh, it's not like 3! It sucks so much!!!"

Maybe people are just heavily indecisive by nature on what they like? I don't know. It's just weird...
Nope, you're just confusing different people to be the same one.

feauxx

Commandah
Sep 7, 2010
most people are assholes. everybody thinks they know best and that the world should know and agree with their opinion.

i don't complain much. i try to expect nothing so i cannot be disappointed, and if i do buy a game that i don't like as much as i hoped i figure it's probably just not for me. the only way a game can be ruined for me is if the gameplay is buggy. but if the game mechanics/play works the rest is just something you have to be in to or not.

sure sometimes i get an idea where the story could have been different in a game just like everybody else, but we didn't make the game and if you don't like it then perhaps you should try fanfiction.net instead of complaining to people who can appreciate and respect creative decisions made by the development team.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
omegawyrm said:
The entire gamer community is pretty damn entitled.

There are very few games that aren't at least a little bit fun, but you wouldn't know that from listening to a gaming forum, every game is "the worst game ever" or "ruined X forever".
This exactly. People need to stop bitching and start enjoying. This is a capitalist democracy, so vote with your wallets. Don't like murky brown games? Don't buy them! It's not like there aren't enough reviews or critics out there to tell you if a game is going to be the sort that you like...

sopherera

Jan 16, 2011
Many World of Warcraft fans seem to have developed a massive sense of entitlement regarding expansion content and nothing ever seems good enough. Not to say everyone feels the same ofc, but we've all seen/heard the wahhhhhing.

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
Final Fantasy Fans. They hate those games but they continue to buy them just to see if they are alright

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
GunstarHero said:
"MW2 is a buggy mess!"

"RE5 DLC is on the disc? ARGH! Why are they making money for extras?"

"Black Ops MP is the same as MW2!" (Plays it anyway)

"ME2 was terrible because it wasn't the same as the first one!" (Ok, that one I agree with).

My point is, every fan base I'm seen has by and large had a problem with every new game in a series/franchise. Have you noticed this? And which fan base is the hardest to please?

I'm prepared to accept an answer of console fanbases.

"M$ just want to make money on the 360!"
or
"PSN isn't perfect! I want my (no) money back!"
All of them. You can't please everyone. It will never happen and someone will ALWAYS be displeased with the product that someone else has created.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
Crazie_Guy said:
American voters
Nice. Very nice. I actually loled at that one...sadly...

And I don't know about all the time, but right now, BioWare Fans seem to be the hardest to please. Bunch of self-entitled nitwits if you ask me.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
The Mortal Kombat fans are pretty harsh (I am one myself but, i dont post on the forums).

OMFG Cyber Goro should be in MK9 BLAH BLAH BLAH.