Most memorable opening line in a game

GeneWard

Feb 23, 2011
PaladinofGuns said:
I'm surprised I haven't seen this one yet

"After the end of World War 2, the world was split into two-east and west. This marked the beginning of an era known as the Cold War."
I don't believe I was ninja'd after 10 pages... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsbYx6hevoQ

So yeah, either this, HL2's "Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman."
Or, one which doesn't get enough credit, in Crysis.
"Someone down there wants to be found."

DionysusSnoopy

May 9, 2009
Some good ones from Halo: Combat Evolved op sequence

Keyes: Cortana lets give our old friend a warm welcome

later on

Sgt Johnson: We will rip their skulls from their spines and toss them away laughing

Puddleknock said:
"Ah, the child of Bhaal has awoken"
"It's time for more ... experiments." Man that takes me back

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
"heeurrgh!"
"Blarr"
"Gleergghh"
"Heeuuugghh"
"Garrrgghhh"
"Arrrgghhh"

- Dynasty warriors 5, opening movie.

Sets the tone of the game perfectly ;D

romanator0

Jun 3, 2011
I'm surprised nobody has said this one. It's not the opening line but it's what the game is all about:

"Finish him"
"..."
"Fatality"

If you don't know what game that's from then I pity you.

Also:

"That place... began from the resonance of intersecting points... They are memories replaced by ens and naught and etched into stone. Blood, young sprouts, sky--and the one with the ability to control beings created from light... In that world, it is said that if one should wish it one can bring back the souls of the dead... But to trespass upon that land is strictly forbidden..."

SoTC

StorytellingIsAMust

Jun 24, 2011
Dango said:
"Transcending history, and the world, a tale of souls and swords, eternally retold."
Soul Calibur II

I got a few of my favorites:

"This is but one of the legends of which the people speak..." (Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker)

"A far-off dream that's like a scattered memory. A scattered memory that's like a far-off dream. I wanna line the pieces up. Yours and mine." (Kingdom Hearts 2)

"Dammit...why me? I can't get caught...Not like this! I-I've gotta find someone to pin this on...Someone like...him! I'll make it look like HE did it! (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney)

"Corneria, fourth planet of the Lylat system." (Star Fox 64)

"Mail call!" (Paper Mario 1 and 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pors7hMi3A (All of this, you really gotta watch it. (Psychonauts))

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
EBHughsThe1st said:
"This is the story of a man named Stanley..."
The Stanley Parable. Fantastic metacommentary. Kudos to you for making me play through it again.

OT: "Foggy and warm tonight, travelling slowly up the Voel river."

I know that nobody's going to get that one.

ArmyGuy7510

Apr 4, 2011
The opening Monologues in Modern Warfare 2 and modern Warfare 3. General Shepard and Makarov respectively

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
"Just do what you have to."
"I always do, Sam... I always do." *BLAM*

"Out of the darkness they came with a hateful will to destroy humanity."

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Aidinthel said:
And how could I forget my favorite game ever?
(Skip to 0:40 to bypass the logos.)
(without watching) Seas of water, seas of time. Both isolate Ardania, a realm steeped in humanity's myth and lore.

"Krollllm! Krollllm!"

"I'm meeelllting!"

"Leave the gold."

"Tax collectoor."

Oh, man. It's been too long.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Swyftstar said:
Ron Pearlman's openings for Fallout games are always pretty cool.
My girlfriend and I both read this thread's title and both said "War. War never changes." together :D

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
War, War never changes.

Holy shit what is this? Forged in God's very flames do thine eyes tell me lies a new elder scroll game
Time is nigh I must fly venture forth on my quest, goodbye ma, goodbye pa and goodbye girl friend's breasts.
I'll be off azaroth. Cath you later highrule. I'll be gone albion I'M NO LONGER YOUR FOOL.
other crap filled the gap while I waited to begin, the adventure of my life in the land of skyrim. (sweet)