Most memorable opening line in a game

FunctionZ

Jul 4, 2011
aftohsix said:
Assassin's Creed 2

"It is a good life we lead brother" -Ezio's brother

"The best. May it never change." -Ezio

"And may it never change us." Ezio's brother. Cue sweeping orchestral score.

First time I can say I felt like I was playing a movie
Ah I almost forgot about this. I got chills watching the it for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJshVVtEyso

Close Second

Eighth 1 said:
"Proper story supposed to start at the beginning. Ain't so simple with this one..."
Bastion <3

gaby92

Oct 7, 2010
We all make mistakes,some are small,some are large
But his mistake,born of innocence,fuel by pride, was the greatest and most terrible of them all.
Prince of persia The Two Thrones

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
"Ah, the Child of Bhaal has awoken, it is time for more....experiments"

Will remain in my head for all eternity.

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
Changed my mind.

Pretty much the entire opening sequence of "The Wind Waker"

The neat storybook thing with Zelda music slowly starting up in the background. Still my favorite Zelda of all time.

NZpablo

G-mans Henchman
Mar 30, 2011
HL2 has the best lines
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world."

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
NZpablo said:
HL2 has the best lines
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world."
Wake up, Dr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes.

Got chills first time I heard that.

Christian Amado

Jun 14, 2011
In the year 2148, explorers on Mars discovered the remains of an ancient spacefaring civilization. In the decades that followed, these mysterious artifacts revealed startling new technologies, enabling travel to the furthest stars. The basis for this incredible technology was a force that controlled the very fabric of space and time.
They called it the greatest discovery in human history.
The civilizations of the galaxy call it... MASS EFFECT

Also,

Shieet. Looks like this is the end for Afro Samurai. You want to help him out? Be my guest. This has been a long time coming; Ive done all I can. See, me and him, we aint friends per se. I've just been hanging out, looking for a little action.
Between you and me, Ive been sorely disappointed. Only action hes been getting is his ass kicked. You think I should be watching his back? Fuck you. Ive been watching. Ive seen everything!

Both of them set the mood of the game perfectly and hooked me from the start.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
15 years ago, there was a war...

Ace Combat 5. I'm rewatching the intro right now and it's giving me chills.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Classics like:
"War, war never changes." or "Wake up, there you go... You were dreaming. What's your name?"
Andrew Ryan elevator message from Bioshock.

"I remember the first time I died"

Also, not really the first line, but I remember it since the trailer: "This is Snake. Kept you waiting, huh?"

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
I know it was mentioned earlier, but still I want to re-emphasise it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXNQNeLDg5s - Kharak is burning

The emotion in the Fleet Commander's voice (and near lack of emotion in Karan S'jet's voice - she is intergrated into the motherships computer after-all) always gets me, you can hear his voice crack when he is reading the casualty list. The song in the backgroud just made the whole thing surreal.

What was supposed to be a moment of triumph for their planet giving them a way to return to their ancestral homeworld went totally to hell, and reduced a planet sized population down to a few hundred thousand. One of the very few game/movie/book scenes that's gotten me to cry manly tears. It really set the tone for the rest of the game so well, you were totally rooting for the Hiigaran's and really absolutely hated the Taiidians.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Shinkicker444 said:
I know it was mentioned earlier, but still I want to re-emphasise it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXNQNeLDg5s - Kharak is burning

The emotion in the Fleet Commander's voice (and near lack of emotion in Karan S'jet's voice - she is intergrated into the motherships computer after-all) always gets me, you can hear his voice crack when he is reading the casualty list. The song in the backgroud just made the whole thing surreal.

What was supposed to be a moment of triumph for their planet giving them a way to return to their ancestral homeworld went totally to hell, and reduced a planet sized population down to a few hundred thousand. One of the very few game/movie/book scenes that's gotten me to cry manly tears. It really set the tone for the rest of the game so well, you were totally rooting for the Hiigaran's and really absolutely hated the Taiidians.
Let me start by saying welcome to The Escapist. Stay away from the basement, even though those cookies are pretty damned tempting.

I've been looking for a new RTS (just bought Ruse to see if I'd like it) and one of my friends mentioned Homeworld. I actually never played it, I've heard amazing things about it, but in your opinion does it live up to the hype?

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
"Wake up Mr. Wayne... We have much to discuss..."

My jaw hit the floor at that point and I knew that, from that very first line on (post-Catwoman), this was going to be one of my favourite games of all time.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
bl4ckh4wk64 said:
Let me start by saying welcome to The Escapist. Stay away from the basement, even though those cookies are pretty damned tempting.

I've been looking for a new RTS (just bought Ruse to see if I'd like it) and one of my friends mentioned Homeworld. I actually never played it, I've heard amazing things about it, but in your opinion does it live up to the hype?
Hi, thanks for the welcome.

I haven't played it for years (been meaning to reinstall it), but from what I remember the first game definitely did. The second was also great but not quite as good as the first. The story is quite the journey and is beautifully narrated with a great orchestral score backing it up (like the linked video). If you like FPS you should like Homeworld, although adding a 3rd axis to to play with took some getting used too initially. Graphically the game was ahead of its time, so it kind of stands up well even these days (that might be HW2 more then HW1 however). You can also get some interesting mods for the game, like Star Wars.

---

"32 years have pass since the Great War. The Shivan's vanished half a life-time ago, and now we live in the mausoleum of history. We inherit the legacy of ghosts that haunt these ruins, the elders call us 'The Lost Generation.'

I remember stories of a glorious civilisation. Of cities with spires that reach the sun. A blue planet with vast sea's. A people with myths of humanity everlasting. Of children who saw in the embers of dying stars the destiny of their race, and they hurled themselves in the void of space with no fear.

They say our people have no present. Only a past filled with horror, and a future they can only dream of. Now we forge a new alliance, to guard the tomb of space. To find within it's cold expanse the salvation of our race."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khIWdolT9xY

I loved FreeSpace even more then Homeworld. I hope to all that is holy that a 3rd game is made one day to finish off the story. But until that day we have an absolutely awesome mod community to keep things interesting for us. I'd highly recommend getting the installer off of Good old Games, and then get FreeSpace open and install all the mods. Its epic, especially the HD mods.