Most memorable opening line in a game

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Shinkicker444 said:
bl4ckh4wk64 said:
Let me start by saying welcome to The Escapist. Stay away from the basement, even though those cookies are pretty damned tempting.

I've been looking for a new RTS (just bought Ruse to see if I'd like it) and one of my friends mentioned Homeworld. I actually never played it, I've heard amazing things about it, but in your opinion does it live up to the hype?
Hi, thanks for the welcome.

I haven't played it for years (been meaning to reinstall it), but from what I remember the first game definitely did. The second was also great but not quite as good as the first. The story is quite the journey and is beautifully narrated with a great orchestral score backing it up (like the linked video). If you like FPS you should like Homeworld, although adding a 3rd axis to to play with took some getting used too initially. Graphically the game was ahead of its time, so it kind of stands up well even these days (that might be HW2 more then HW1 however). You can also get some interesting mods for the game, like Star Wars.
Hmm, I'll definitely have to look more into that. Thanks.

The Code

Mar 9, 2010
In the Myth, God is Force.

Armored Core 4 is an awesome game IMO.

reCaptcha: the enemns
What, is that some kind of ritual song to summon Inglip or Zalgo?

EDIT: Also, this: "In the grim darkness that is the 401st century, there is only war."

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Fappy said:
"Wake up, you were dreaming... what's your name?"
I'm trying to remember what that line is from... Morrowind?

I'd say Dragon Age 2. For all the faults the game has the opening is great. Bioshock's a strong contender too for being so damn pretty.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
the classic is, of course the fallout opening.
not quite as classic but still awesome is the opening to bastion.

SpadeJester

Apr 4, 2009
"Since time immemorial, great leaders have reason from humble beginnings to...
do shit."

yea, that part just tells you that you are in for some great things... like doing shit.

Bishop99999999

Dec 6, 2007
"But...there is one they fear. In their tongue he is 'Dovahkiin'...Dragonborn!"

And that is where we first began to adore Skyrim, months before we even played it.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Conkers bad furr day is a strong begin, with the milk, him sitting on the throne his buddies around him. You know you are in for some badassery!

Zyquux

Mar 18, 2010
Well the obvious ones that have already been mentioned first:

"War...war never changes."
-Ron Perlman, Fallout

"So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes."
-G-man, Half-Life 2

"Hello there! Welcome to the world of Pokemon!"
-Professor Oak, Pokemon (duh)

"But you had something they didn't, something no one saw but me. Can you guess? Luck."
-Cortana, Halo 3

And now a couple that haven't been mentioned:

(Even though I can't quote it word for word, it's still memorable, setting the tone for the rest of the game.)

"Stay a while and listen, and I will tell you a story. A story of Dungeons and Dragons, of Orcs and Goblins, of Ghouls and Ghosts, of Kings and Quests, but most importantly -- of Wizards and Vamp -- Well... A story of Wizards."
-Vlad, Magicka

And not so much a quote, but the opening of Borderlands when Cage the Elephant's "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" really starts to pick-up, after Marcus's van hits the skag.
If you want a quote, then how about this:

"So... You want to hear a story, eh? One about treasure hunters? Haha, have I got a story for you!"
-Marcus Kincaid, Borderlands

WaffleCopters

Dec 13, 2009
does the really long opening to HL2 count? :p

EDIT: OOH OOH! how about:

"do you know the meaning of insanity...?"

SweetWarmIce

Jun 1, 2009
Riddle78 said:
"Space held such hope for humanity. A fresh start. A chance to let old grievances wither,and die..."

You win epic internet cookies if you can guess the source without looking it up.
That's not Supreme Commander by any chance?

Havegun

Sep 26, 2011
Mwell, a couple spring to mind. Fallout, as has been mentioned. Half-Life as well. But my winner has to be:

"In the beginning, the Earth was without form, and void."

CrazyJew

Sep 18, 2011
I have to second (fifth?) the fallout intros and "Wake up, you were dreaming... what's your name?"

Astiahl

May 2, 2011
"We never paid any heed to the ancient prophecies...like fools we clung to the old hatreds...and fought as we had for generations. Until the day the sky rained fire, and a new enemy came upon us. We stand now, upon the brink of destruction, for the reign of chaos has come at last."

-Introduction cinematic for Warcraft III

/nerd

Astiahl

May 2, 2011
Somonah said:
I think a few people are getting 'opening line' confused with 'opening monologue'

A paragraph =/= a line
Alright.

"Desmond...shut the fuck up...please"

-Lucy in the opening of AC II

When the calm collected girl suddenly precision F-strikes you, you know shit be gettin' real, son. :p