Most memorable opening line in a game

Alade

Ego extravaganza
Aug 10, 2008
The opening lines of Mass Effect, not the spoken line, but the text explaining the mass effect drives. It always sends a shiver down my spine, it's well paced and the music gives it the perfect edge.

Gazzoid

May 27, 2011
Only one that comes to mind at the moment is:

"Paris in the fall, the last few months of the year, and the end of the millennium. The city holds many memories for me: of cafes, of music, of love, and of death." - George Stobbart, Broken Sword.

And I like the G-Man's opening speech for Half-Life 2 and Jack's for BioShock, too.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
"In this world there are things people mustn't touch... Who cares!"
Baten Kaitos.

Shared with:
"If there's evil in this world it lurks in the heart of mankind"
Tales of Phantasia

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
"Deep in the forest of Albion lay the small town of Oakvale, unchanged by time and untouched by the sword..."

I think this quote sets the atmosphere perfectly, it's such a great way to begin a game that is essentially a playable fairytale.

Also, in the opening of Skyrim, there's one Stormcloak that goes to the block before you. As they kick him to the ground and put his head on the block, he looks the executioner in the face and says: "My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

ParanoidEngineer

May 20, 2009
Fallout New Vegas.

Not the war line.

But Benny's monologue before he shoots you.

"You've made your last delivery kid. Sorry you got twisted up in this scene. From where you're kneeling it must seem like an 18-carat run of bad luck."

"But, truth is...the game was rigged from the start."

This short speech introduces the theme, main story and key motivation (Benny and the Platinum Chip) beautifully, and also gets us into the idea that this is Vegas, where gambling is God and a chip can make or break your life forever...

Angry_squirrel

Mar 26, 2011
aftohsix said:
Assassin's Creed 2

"It is a good life we lead brother" -Ezio's brother

"The best. May it never change." -Ezio

"And may it never change us." Ezio's brother. Cue sweeping orchestral score.

First time I can say I felt like I was playing a movie
Beaten to it. This is probably the single best opening to any game I have ever played

Blankdoor

Nov 21, 2009
"This is the story of a man named Stanley," Not so powerful the first time you hear it, but after playing the stanley parable it'll stay with you for life.

LeeArac

Aug 16, 2011
"I lied to myself that it was over. I was still alive... my loved ones were still dead.

... It wasn't over."

- Max Payne 2

SeanSeanston

Dec 22, 2010
"Hitler is... out of the way..."
"Congratulations professor! With him removed..."
"Time will tell... *winds watch* sooner or later... time will tell..."

*Cue Hell March*

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
"They used to call me Prophet. Remember me." Crysis 2.

Probably the best FPS I've played in years, with a genuinely interesting story (if only because it made me want to play the original).
Also Devil May Cry 4's entire opening sequence (it's singing over badassery, still counts).

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Maleval said:
The Nietzsche quote from the intro cutscene to Baldur's Gate adds some nice pseudo-philosophic flavor to the whole thing.
that's my favourite too!

RHadley

Dec 5, 2010
After G-Man's monologue from HL2, and Commander Shephard's monologue from MW2, my most memorable opening:

"So, you want to hear a story? One about treasure hunters? Haha! Have I got a story for you! Pandora; they say it's a wasteland, that only a fool would search for something of value here. Then perhaps I am a fool..."

Had me hooked. I've never actually forgotten that.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
newguy77 said:
Swyftstar said:
Ron Pearlman's openings for Fallout games are always pretty cool.
Really. Really. The only one I could think of and you have to steal it. Fine, I'll go with Bioshock and Andrew Ryan's whole, I chose Rapture bit. Great start to a great game.
This. Well both of these. War, war never changes is the best line and Andrew Ryan's speech is the best speech in my opinion.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
"Transcending history, and the world, a tale of souls and swords, eternally retold."

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Good morning and welcome to the Black Mesa Transit System. This automated train is provided for the security and convenience of the Black Mesa Research Facility personnel. The time is 8:47 AM.