Most memorable opening line in a game

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
SimpleChimp said:
"The more things change, the more they stay the same. Boundaries shift, new players step in, but power always finds a place to rest its head. We fought and bled alongside the Russians. We shoulda known they'd hate us for it. History is written by the victor. And here I am, thinking we'd won. But you bring down one enemy and they find someone even worse to replace him. Locations change, the rationale, the objective. Yesterday's enemies are today's recruits. Train them to fight alongside you, and pray they don't eventually decide to hate you for it too." by Com. Shepard

I don't care what you say about the game, that is a damned good opening monologue.
How about the opening monologue to MW3?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgRIyVh0w9E

Just something about the way Makarov talks makes this so creepy and memorable.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
'Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction.

But I have seen the face of time and I can tell you... the are wrong.'

Prince Of Persia - Sands Of Time

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
"The kingdom of Myrtana. United by King Rhobar II. During the long years of his reign,he was
able to defeat all foes of his realm. All except one."

Followed by...

"Welcome to the Colony!"

Secondly...

"A single prisoner altered the fate of hundreds. But he paid a high price for it."

If you can guess the games which those are from (without looking it up),you've played some mighty fine Action RPG's.

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
"War. War never changes."

The other seventy posts to this effect should convince all the unbelievers.

Coldflame727

Jul 14, 2011
Fifteen pages? I don't CARE if anyone's already said this, I can't read all that. ('Cause I'm lazy.)
"Kill all sons of bitches." *cocks shotgun* "That's my official instructions."

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
Starting sentence in Lunar Dragon Song, "My name is Jian and I like to stand on my head."

....... It says a lot, but not much good.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
Eighth 1 said:
"Proper story supposed to start at the beginning. Ain't so simple with this one..."
This is the other one. Bastion is just awesome. Actually one of my favorite games.

Tomany2

Jun 17, 2008
I must do this. And it's for the person who means the most to me. My life is nothing compared to his... Doing this is easy, if it's for him.

Also,

If I blow him a kiss... I wonder, will it reach him up there..? No. I guess it won't.

Eternal sonata... one of my favorite games of all time.

Blade1130

Sep 25, 2011
Since I got ninja'd by the first post (cheap bastard) I'll take one from the sequel.

"A false start, the hospital bed wasn't the beginning, it was past the point of no return. The fatal choice already made, and it would get worse before the end." - Max Payne 2

Also, honorable mentions, that still got ninja'd. X_X

"Wake up, Mr. Freeman, wake up and smell the ashes." - Half-Life 2

"War has changed... ID tagged soldiers carry ID tagged weapons, use ID tagged gear. Nano-machines inside their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities. Genetic control, information control ,emotion control, battlefield control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control." - MGS4

"Aquinas spoke of the mythical City of the Hill. Soon that city will be a reality, and we will be crowned it's kings. Or better than kings... Gods..." - Deus Ex

Also, a not-exactly an intro line, cause it's a "last time on blah" but still:
"I lied to myself that it was over, I was still alive, my loved ones were still dead. It wasn't over." - Max Payne 2

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Pearwood said:
Thyunda said:
Except in Skyrim you're off to the headsman. Bethesda's openings have a similar theme, but it's kinda offensive to claim you can't tell the difference.
No it's not. The only thing that seperates Skyrim's opening from the others is you're never officially pardoned, up until Alduin's grand appearance it could be any other Elder Scrolls opening. And I still think the "Wake up, you were dreaming" line comes from Morrowind, when the intro cinematic cuts to black and you hear that Argonian talking to you.
Well the opening line of Skyrim is "hey, you! You're awake. Trying to cross the border, eh?" So they're both pretty similar, if that was Morrowind.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lurks within the heart of mankind." [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3SA9LuqQgA]

The surrounding game didn't really suit it, but a nonetheless thought-provoking quote.

Djaevlenselv

May 3, 2011
SeanSeanston said:
"Hitler is... out of the way..."
"Congratulations professor! With him removed..."
"Time will tell... *winds watch* sooner or later... time will tell..."

*Cue Hell March*
Can't believe I had forgotten about this one until I saw your post. Good times...

This is my entry:

"Hey, chief. You okay? You playing corpse or you putting the blinds on the Dusties?"

Also: "What can change the nature of a man?"

89 The Mecha Dragon

Dec 7, 2011
The dialogue in the opening to The Suffering gets to me everytime.

"Will you shut the FUCK up, you baby raping, sodomising, sack of SHIT!"